Fax Sharing/Modem Sharing with one modem

Fax Sharing/Modem Sharing with one modem

Post by Ric » Tue, 20 Jul 2004 20:30:48

Hi there, I have spent most of the morning googling this one but decided to
ask as I didn't get anywhere!

We have an SBS 2000 box with one modem that we are currently using to
receive faxes using Fax Sharing.  Is there any way that the same modem can
be used to dial out using modem sharing?  At the moment whenever the fax
service is in receive mode it locks the port stopping us from dialling out.
I am kind of assuming that the only option will be another modem but I
wanted to ask in case there was some trick I could use.

If we do have to get another modem does anyone know what implications there
are to using a USB modem with the shared modem service?  I ask because the
server only has one COM port.

Thanks,
Richard.

Fax Sharing/Modem Sharing with one modem

Post by SBS-MV » Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:36:06

Could have sworn I replied to this one some time ago
In general we highly discourage USB devices on servers, just haven't proven
themselves there yet.

I wouldn't become to dependent on the MS modem sharing functionality as you
will lose it in SBS 2003

--
CRIS HANNA
SBS-MVP

Quote:> Hi there, I have spent most of the morning googling this one but decided
> ask as I didn't get anywhere!

> We have an SBS 2000 box with one modem that we are currently using to
> receive faxes using Fax Sharing.  Is there any way that the same modem can
> be used to dial out using modem sharing?  At the moment whenever the fax
> service is in receive mode it locks the port stopping us from dialling
out.
> I am kind of assuming that the only option will be another modem but I
> wanted to ask in case there was some trick I could use.

> If we do have to get another modem does anyone know what implications
there
> are to using a USB modem with the shared modem service?  I ask because the
> server only has one COM port.

> Thanks,
> Richard.

1. Can Proxy share modems with Modem Sharing?

We have 2 USR external modems on our SBS.  The modem sharing pool
contains both modems.  We are also use Proxy Server to dial into our
ISP.

Both work fine as long on the other is not using a modem.  In other
words, Modem sharing will use COM1 modem to dial out, and then the
second client that requests modem get COM2 and all works fine.

Proxy server automatically uses DUN entry and dial outs using COM1 when
a user requestes a internet page.

When proxy is connected using COM1, then if another user tries to use a
shared modem the request fails, because modem sharing appears to be
trying to use COM1.

How can we make modem sharing automatcially use COM2 if Proxy is using
COM1?

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

2. Help! Can't plot polar graph.

3. SBS Shared Modem + IE4 uses shared modem AND Proxy Dial-out!?%$

4. DOS packet driver for RealTek RTL8139 PCI 10/100

5. Modem Share doesn't find my fax/ modem now

6. Application stays up only for about 10 seconds and then it exits by itself

7. Modems for Fax server and Modem sharing

8. 2d drawings converted to 3d solids

9. Shared modem service & shared fax service

10. sbs 4.0 modem sharing, fax sharing. does each need an individual modem or can they share just one?

11. sbs2000 multiple fax modems and multiple shared fax printers ??

12. fax modems ISDN for "shared fax"

13. Shared Fax Service & USR 5686-03 Ext Fax Modem