Packet filtering and incoming mail problems

Packet filtering and incoming mail problems

Post by mikew5.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



Having problems with SMTP and packet filtering. Here's what I've got:

Dynamic packet filtering on.
Predefined packet filters for POP3, SMTP and IDENTD allowed.

This setup will give outbound POP3 email only.

Per some postings to this NG I created a custom filter to allow port 79
for finger out to my ISP. No effect.
Changed SMTP to use a custom filter with dynamic local port (per
Q176771). No effect.

Frankly out of ideas at this point and currently sitting with packet
filtering OFF! Can anyone see anything I've missed? I thought I saw
postings from some SBS users that refered to a certain port in the 100's
(like 139 or something) that needed to be turned on with some SBS
installations, but I can't find that info again!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Regards,
MJW

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Packet filtering and incoming mail problems

Post by Mariett » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00




Quote:> Having problems with SMTP and packet filtering. Here's what I've got:

> Dynamic packet filtering on.
> Predefined packet filters for POP3, SMTP and IDENTD allowed.

OK, just an extra port to open. Add a custom filter:

TCP, Local Port (25 Fixed), Direction (Both). That is all. Now click OK.

Quote:> Per some postings to this NG I created a custom filter to allow port
79
> for finger out to my ISP. No effect.
> Changed SMTP to use a custom filter with dynamic local port (per
> Q176771). No effect.

Do not open port 79!!!

Quote:> Frankly out of ideas at this point and currently sitting with packet
> filtering OFF! Can anyone see anything I've missed? I thought I saw
> postings from some SBS users that refered to a certain port in the
100's
> (like 139 or something) that needed to be turned on with some SBS
> installations, but I can't find that info again!

Hmm, could not find my notes on that one but when you want clients to
dial in to your system and synchronize Exchange folders port 135 should
be opened. The ICW opens opens port 139 when you choose "Grant Internet
users to Exchange service".

Bye
Mariette

 
 
 

Packet filtering and incoming mail problems

Post by mikew5.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



Quote:> OK, just an extra port to open. Add a custom filter:

> TCP, Local Port (25 Fixed), Direction (Both). That is all. Now click

OK.

Thanks, that's what I needed, thought what I actually ended up doing is
following the recommendation in the thread "Proxy packet filters problem
solved", which called for two custom filters - one in and one out (saw
that before your reply) - thought I suppose that both means meet the
same end.

Thanks,
MJW

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.