Installing a New Hard Drive

Post by Mark Lari » Thu, 23 May 2002 08:12:51

I am implementing a new backup system and here is my setup.  I have two
servers: one running SBS 2000, SP2 and the other running RH Linix 7.1.  I
have a 40 GIG IDE drive installed in both servers and my intent is to back
up the Linux server to the IDE drive in the SBS computer and backup the SBS
computer to the IDE drive in the Linux server.  There is software that runs
under linux that will do all of this so that's not a problem.  The only
requirement is for the IDE drive to be partitioned as FAT32.  SBS and
Exchange are both installed on SCSI hard drives.

I have installed the IDE drive and it is recognized during boot up.  I then
go to my computer and manage and then to Disk Management.  I can see the
drive there no problem.  However, what ever I try, I cannot get it to
format.  I have it mounted as a basic drive with only one (primary)
partition.  When I try to format it it looks like it working but then when
it's done, I get an error that states that the volume lable to too long.  I
have tred one letter volume lables but I still get the samre error.  Does
anyone have a suggestion?

Mark Laris

Installing a New Hard Drive

Post by Susan Bradley, CPA aka » Thu, 23 May 2002 10:32:31

uh...... you really have to have FAT32?  I really really really would not
recommend FAT32 on SBS or anywhere on a Win2k machine.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=format+volume+label+FAT32&hl=en&lr=...

How big is that IDE drive?  FAT32 should be able to handle it......

Can't the Linux handle a robocopy utility to it?
What about offsite issues?  Multiple days backups?  If you get hit with a virus
and it infects your files, and you've done a nightly backup to one another, how
do you get a clean file install?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/help/default.asp?url=/...

> I am implementing a new backup system and here is my setup.  I have two
> servers: one running SBS 2000, SP2 and the other running RH Linix 7.1.  I
> have a 40 GIG IDE drive installed in both servers and my intent is to back
> up the Linux server to the IDE drive in the SBS computer and backup the SBS
> computer to the IDE drive in the Linux server.  There is software that runs
> under linux that will do all of this so that's not a problem.  The only
> requirement is for the IDE drive to be partitioned as FAT32.  SBS and
> Exchange are both installed on SCSI hard drives.

> I have installed the IDE drive and it is recognized during boot up.  I then
> go to my computer and manage and then to Disk Management.  I can see the
> drive there no problem.  However, what ever I try, I cannot get it to
> format.  I have it mounted as a basic drive with only one (primary)
> partition.  When I try to format it it looks like it working but then when
> it's done, I get an error that states that the volume lable to too long.  I
> have tred one letter volume lables but I still get the samre error.  Does
> anyone have a suggestion?

> Mark Laris

1. SBS200 New Install - where's my hard drive?

I am attempting a clean install on a new PowerEdge2400 and trying to use
RAID5 with 3 SCSI 9G hard drives.  There were a few posts on getting SBS2000
to find the hard drives very early in this newsgroup's life, but they are
gone.  I hope someone can jog my memory.

I create a 4G container on the RAID, boot from the SBS2000 CD, hit F6, put
the latest Perc2 RAID driver and SCSI driver floppy disk in, SBS goes thru
the setup, but on restart I get the "inaccessible boot device" message.

Obviously, I'm missing an important step.  Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave D

2. Gates on Letterman

3. Mirror hard drive from smaller to larger hard drive?

4. Hot Hot Requirment Java/Felx Developer in Montvale,NJ for 3-6Months Contract

5. Installing NT Server on a new hard drive

6. Net Bios Zone Alarm Alerts

7. Pros/Cons in Hard Drive Upgrade from SCSI to New IDE Drives

8. AutoLISP programming utilities

9. When installing applications on clients with mapped drives the defualt install drive is the mapped drive

10. Adding new hard drive to SBS4.5

11. Client computer - new hard drive question

12. SBS 4.5 move to new hard drive

13. New hard drive