O.K. now I am feed Up with this PROXY / EXCHANGE SBS Problem

O.K. now I am feed Up with this PROXY / EXCHANGE SBS Problem

Post by Jaso » Sun, 04 Mar 2001 02:29:52

I think I am about to top myself, I have been trying for the last week to
get SBS to retrieve SMTP mail.

With Packet Filtering Disabled (no tick) works fine SMTP in and out every
body can connect to the web as well, but not very secure..

As soon as Packet Filtering Enabled NO SMTP mail in, hmmm, the rest is fine.
the filters in place are the default ones +

1.(Custom) TCP, Direction IN, Fixed Port 25, Default Proxy external Address
2.(Custom) TCP, Direction IN, Fixed Port 25, Default Proxy external Address
3.(predefined) Identd

Internal IPs 10.0.02 => with now default Gateway Defined
External IPs 192.168.0.2 Default Gateway 192.168.0.1 (Router IP)

Only One Fixed IP address from ISP placed in router using NAT, routes placed
inside router for data coming in ie
port 25, 10.0.0.2

I have applied KB articles about filters, and making Wspcnt.ini files, still
no luck. ISP say everything is fine their end.

PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

Jay

O.K. now I am feed Up with this PROXY / EXCHANGE SBS Problem

Post by Steve Foste » Sun, 04 Mar 2001 02:52:09

Have you made sure that the 192.168.0.x subnet was removed from the Local
Address Table in Proxy?

Steve Foster

Quote:> I think I am about to top myself, I have been trying for the last week to
> get SBS to retrieve SMTP mail.

> With Packet Filtering Disabled (no tick) works fine SMTP in and out every
> body can connect to the web as well, but not very secure..

> As soon as Packet Filtering Enabled NO SMTP mail in, hmmm, the rest is
fine.
> the filters in place are the default ones +

> 1.(Custom) TCP, Direction IN, Fixed Port 25, Default Proxy external
Address
> 2.(Custom) TCP, Direction IN, Fixed Port 25, Default Proxy external
Address
> 3.(predefined) Identd

> Internal IPs 10.0.02 => with now default Gateway Defined
> External IPs 192.168.0.2 Default Gateway 192.168.0.1 (Router IP)

> Only One Fixed IP address from ISP placed in router using NAT, routes
placed
> inside router for data coming in ie
> port 25, 10.0.0.2

> I have applied KB articles about filters, and making Wspcnt.ini files,
still
> no luck. ISP say everything is fine their end.

> PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

> Jay

O.K. now I am feed Up with this PROXY / EXCHANGE SBS Problem

Post by Jason_ » Sun, 04 Mar 2001 03:17:42

Steve,

Thanks for you reply, the only items in the LAT are 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.254
and 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255

I am running out of ideas with this..
Jason

> Have you made sure that the 192.168.0.x subnet was removed from the Local
> Address Table in Proxy?

> Steve Foster

> > I think I am about to top myself, I have been trying for the last week
> > get SBS to retrieve SMTP mail.

> > With Packet Filtering Disabled (no tick) works fine SMTP in and out
every
> > body can connect to the web as well, but not very secure..

> > As soon as Packet Filtering Enabled NO SMTP mail in, hmmm, the rest is
> fine.
> > the filters in place are the default ones +

> > 1.(Custom) TCP, Direction IN, Fixed Port 25, Default Proxy external
> Address
> > 2.(Custom) TCP, Direction IN, Fixed Port 25, Default Proxy external
> Address
> > 3.(predefined) Identd

> > Internal IPs 10.0.02 => with now default Gateway Defined
> > External IPs 192.168.0.2 Default Gateway 192.168.0.1 (Router IP)

> > Only One Fixed IP address from ISP placed in router using NAT, routes
> placed
> > inside router for data coming in ie
> > port 25, 10.0.0.2

> > I have applied KB articles about filters, and making Wspcnt.ini files,
> still
> > no luck. ISP say everything is fine their end.

> > PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

> > Jay

O.K. now I am feed Up with this PROXY / EXCHANGE SBS Problem

Post by Rick Marti » Sun, 04 Mar 2001 04:33:48

I had a similar problem and found a Microsoft KB article stating that in
addition to the predefined SMTP filter, you had to add a static one...that
worked for me...give it a try.

Rick

> Steve,

> Thanks for you reply, the only items in the LAT are 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.254
> and 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255

> I am running out of ideas with this..
> Jason

> > Have you made sure that the 192.168.0.x subnet was removed from the
Local
> > Address Table in Proxy?

> > Steve Foster

> > > I think I am about to top myself, I have been trying for the last week
> > > get SBS to retrieve SMTP mail.

> > > With Packet Filtering Disabled (no tick) works fine SMTP in and out
> every
> > > body can connect to the web as well, but not very secure..

> > > As soon as Packet Filtering Enabled NO SMTP mail in, hmmm, the rest is
> > fine.
> > > the filters in place are the default ones +

> > > 1.(Custom) TCP, Direction IN, Fixed Port 25, Default Proxy external
> > Address
> > > 2.(Custom) TCP, Direction IN, Fixed Port 25, Default Proxy external
> > Address
> > > 3.(predefined) Identd

> > > Internal IPs 10.0.02 => with now default Gateway Defined
> > > External IPs 192.168.0.2 Default Gateway 192.168.0.1 (Router IP)

> > > Only One Fixed IP address from ISP placed in router using NAT, routes
> > placed
> > > inside router for data coming in ie
> > > port 25, 10.0.0.2

> > > I have applied KB articles about filters, and making Wspcnt.ini files,
> > still
> > > no luck. ISP say everything is fine their end.

> > > PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

> > > Jay

O.K. now I am feed Up with this PROXY / EXCHANGE SBS Problem

Post by Mariette Knap [MS SBS MVP » Sun, 04 Mar 2001 14:30:31

Jason,

One custom filter in the Packet Filter Properties page should do the trick
for you:

Protocol ID: TCP
Direction: In
Local port: Fixed port 25
Remote port: Any

The rest should remain default.

Bye
Mariette

Quote:> I think I am about to top myself, I have been trying for the last week to
> get SBS to retrieve SMTP mail.

> With Packet Filtering Disabled (no tick) works fine SMTP in and out every
> body can connect to the web as well, but not very secure..

> As soon as Packet Filtering Enabled NO SMTP mail in, hmmm, the rest is
fine.
> the filters in place are the default ones +

> 1.(Custom) TCP, Direction IN, Fixed Port 25, Default Proxy external
Address
> 2.(Custom) TCP, Direction IN, Fixed Port 25, Default Proxy external
Address
> 3.(predefined) Identd

> Internal IPs 10.0.02 => with now default Gateway Defined
> External IPs 192.168.0.2 Default Gateway 192.168.0.1 (Router IP)

> Only One Fixed IP address from ISP placed in router using NAT, routes
placed
> inside router for data coming in ie
> port 25, 10.0.0.2

> I have applied KB articles about filters, and making Wspcnt.ini files,
still
> no luck. ISP say everything is fine their end.

> PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

> Jay

O.K. now I am feed Up with this PROXY / EXCHANGE SBS Problem

Post by Jim Behni » Sun, 04 Mar 2001 12:10:16

Why is the router have anything about 10.0.0.2 programed in it? The
traffic is going from the router to the external nic ip of
192.168.0.2. If anything the router should program the traffic to
192.168.0.2. You showtwo port 25 inbound the same. I thought you could
only create filters that are unique.

>I think I am about to top myself, I have been trying for the last week to
>get SBS to retrieve SMTP mail.

>With Packet Filtering Disabled (no tick) works fine SMTP in and out every
>body can connect to the web as well, but not very secure..

>As soon as Packet Filtering Enabled NO SMTP mail in, hmmm, the rest is fine.
>the filters in place are the default ones +

>1.(Custom) TCP, Direction IN, Fixed Port 25, Default Proxy external Address
>2.(Custom) TCP, Direction IN, Fixed Port 25, Default Proxy external Address
>3.(predefined) Identd

>Internal IPs 10.0.02 => with now default Gateway Defined
>External IPs 192.168.0.2 Default Gateway 192.168.0.1 (Router IP)

>Only One Fixed IP address from ISP placed in router using NAT, routes placed
>inside router for data coming in ie
>port 25, 10.0.0.2

>I have applied KB articles about filters, and making Wspcnt.ini files, still
>no luck. ISP say everything is fine their end.

>PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

>Jay

Jim B.

O.K. now I am feed Up with this PROXY / EXCHANGE SBS Problem

Post by Jason_ » Sun, 04 Mar 2001 18:58:52

Because the Router is doing NAT, as far as I was aware you had to tell the
NAT if a packet comes in for port 25 send it to IP 10.0.0.2 I mabe wrong.

Jason

> Why is the router have anything about 10.0.0.2 programed in it? The
> traffic is going from the router to the external nic ip of
> 192.168.0.2. If anything the router should program the traffic to
> 192.168.0.2. You showtwo port 25 inbound the same. I thought you could
> only create filters that are unique.

> >I think I am about to top myself, I have been trying for the last week to
> >get SBS to retrieve SMTP mail.

> >With Packet Filtering Disabled (no tick) works fine SMTP in and out every
> >body can connect to the web as well, but not very secure..

> >As soon as Packet Filtering Enabled NO SMTP mail in, hmmm, the rest is
fine.
> >the filters in place are the default ones +

> >1.(Custom) TCP, Direction IN, Fixed Port 25, Default Proxy external
Address
> >2.(Custom) TCP, Direction IN, Fixed Port 25, Default Proxy external
Address
> >3.(predefined) Identd

> >Internal IPs 10.0.02 => with now default Gateway Defined
> >External IPs 192.168.0.2 Default Gateway 192.168.0.1 (Router IP)

> >Only One Fixed IP address from ISP placed in router using NAT, routes
placed
> >inside router for data coming in ie
> >port 25, 10.0.0.2

> >I have applied KB articles about filters, and making Wspcnt.ini files,
still
> >no luck. ISP say everything is fine their end.

> >PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

> >Jay

> Jim B.

O.K. now I am feed Up with this PROXY / EXCHANGE SBS Problem

Post by Steve Foste » Sun, 04 Mar 2001 19:42:07

Well, yes you do, but it would be the "external" nic IP 192.168.0.2 not the
"internal" nic IP 10.0.0.2.

Since you only have 1 device attached to the router, you _could_ just tell
it to send everything to 192.168.0.2 and rely on Proxy.

Steve Foster

> Because the Router is doing NAT, as far as I was aware you had to tell the
> NAT if a packet comes in for port 25 send it to IP 10.0.0.2 I mabe wrong.

> Jason

> > Why is the router have anything about 10.0.0.2 programed in it? The
> > traffic is going from the router to the external nic ip of
> > 192.168.0.2. If anything the router should program the traffic to
> > 192.168.0.2. You showtwo port 25 inbound the same. I thought you could
> > only create filters that are unique.

> > >I think I am about to top myself, I have been trying for the last week
> > >get SBS to retrieve SMTP mail.

> > >With Packet Filtering Disabled (no tick) works fine SMTP in and out
every
> > >body can connect to the web as well, but not very secure..

> > >As soon as Packet Filtering Enabled NO SMTP mail in, hmmm, the rest is
> fine.
> > >the filters in place are the default ones +

> > >1.(Custom) TCP, Direction IN, Fixed Port 25, Default Proxy external
> Address
> > >2.(Custom) TCP, Direction IN, Fixed Port 25, Default Proxy external
> Address
> > >3.(predefined) Identd

> > >Internal IPs 10.0.02 => with now default Gateway Defined
> > >External IPs 192.168.0.2 Default Gateway 192.168.0.1 (Router IP)

> > >Only One Fixed IP address from ISP placed in router using NAT, routes
> placed
> > >inside router for data coming in ie
> > >port 25, 10.0.0.2

> > >I have applied KB articles about filters, and making Wspcnt.ini files,
> still
> > >no luck. ISP say everything is fine their end.

> > >PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

> > >Jay

> > Jim B.

1. Exchange Outbound News feed problem / NNTP Protocol Logging

I am having difficulty with my exchange newsfeed(s).  They connect
correctly and will pull messages perfectly from the internet news server,
however they will rarely post outbound messages, instead entering the event
viewer error message :

"An error occurred during outbound trying to logon to the remote host.
Error = 0x80040115"

Does anyone know how to log the NNTP protocol information so that I can
attempt to find out why this is happening. I have tried the registry entry

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\Parameter
sSystem\NNTPProtocolLoggingLevel"

But this only appears to log connections between clients and the exchange
newsfeed and I need to see what is happening between our newsfeed and our
internet news server(s)

Can anyone help?

David Quinn

2. Creating animated Web Pages from Powerpoint

3. News Feed doens't feed

4. CVS export

5. Proxy Upgrade on SBS and a WAN, Internet mail fine locally not ok on WAN

6. non-AOS Hotel phone charge scams

7. Setting up news feed with SBS Exchange

8. More advanced list

9. ** Problem with proxy, but net connection is ok

10. Proxy Upgrade on SBS and a WAN, Internet mail fine locally not ok on WAN

11. Care & feeding of SBS Exchange server

12. Setting up news feed with SBS Exchange

13. Editor: carriage return line feed pairs and single line feeds