Outlook Web Access Permissions (SBS 4.5 Upgrade)

Outlook Web Access Permissions (SBS 4.5 Upgrade)

Post by Christopher Berr » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Outlook Web Access was installed on an SBS 4.5 machine, however, only
Administrator could access the inbox.  The readme file on CD1 of the SBS
4.5 upgrade recommends giving the built-in group "Everyone" permission
to log on locally.  This works, all SBS 4.5 users can access their
inbox, calendar, contacts etc.

Even though this recommendation works, it bothers me giving "Everyone"
permission to log on locally. I also gave "Domain Users" permission to
log on locally instead of "Everyone", and this also works, users can
access their inbox, calendar, contacts etc.

Because of the permissions giving to log on locally, I'm assuming this
would enable any "Domain User" to physically log onto the SBS.  If my
assumption is wrong, please be so kind as to explain why.

Outlook Web Access Permissions (SBS 4.5 Upgrade)

Post by Cris Hanna, BS, MCP, MV » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Chris
You are correct in your assumptions

However, I wouldn't be telling my users they have such power and of course
you can do a Cntl Alt Del and lock the server when not physically present.
The locking unlocking message is ominous enough should scare users off

--
Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
SBS-MVP

Quote:> Outlook Web Access was installed on an SBS 4.5 machine, however, only
> Administrator could access the inbox.  The readme file on CD1 of the SBS
> 4.5 upgrade recommends giving the built-in group "Everyone" permission
> to log on locally.  This works, all SBS 4.5 users can access their
> inbox, calendar, contacts etc.

> Even though this recommendation works, it bothers me giving "Everyone"
> permission to log on locally. I also gave "Domain Users" permission to
> log on locally instead of "Everyone", and this also works, users can
> access their inbox, calendar, contacts etc.

> Because of the permissions giving to log on locally, I'm assuming this
> would enable any "Domain User" to physically log onto the SBS.  If my
> assumption is wrong, please be so kind as to explain why.

Outlook Web Access Permissions (SBS 4.5 Upgrade)

Post by Patrick Tea » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

To branch slightly off the topic you were asking about...

How did you install Outlook Web Access?  Do you know of an article Q# or
anything that could keep me out of trouble while intalling this component on
my 4.5 server?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Patrick Teas

Outlook Web Access Permissions (SBS 4.5 Upgrade)

Post by Cris Hanna, BS, MCP, MV » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

If you do a search on the Knowledge Base for OWA you'll get about 200 hits
I have not installed and don't plan to
Perhaps we'll get a response here from some folks who have

--
Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
SBS-MVP

> To branch slightly off the topic you were asking about...

> How did you install Outlook Web Access?  Do you know of an article Q# or
> anything that could keep me out of trouble while intalling this component
on
> my 4.5 server?

> Your help is greatly appreciated.

> Patrick Teas

Outlook Web Access Permissions (SBS 4.5 Upgrade)

Post by Michael Fade » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi there,
I installed Outlook web access on SBS 4.5. Normally all you have got to do
is installing OWA and reapply the SP2 for Exchange. After that you can
enable the http protocoll in the site configuration and if you want to do
that give permissions on every mailbox seperately.
But I have the problem that something is wrong with the cdo objects. because
if I try to access the page from OWA localy, explorer comes up with a error
message, saying he cant find a rendering object.
Does anyone has a hint?

Greetings,

Michael

> If you do a search on the Knowledge Base for OWA you'll get about 200 hits
> I have not installed and don't plan to
> Perhaps we'll get a response here from some folks who have

> --
> Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
> SBS-MVP

> > To branch slightly off the topic you were asking about...

> > How did you install Outlook Web Access?  Do you know of an article Q# or
> > anything that could keep me out of trouble while intalling this
component
> on
> > my 4.5 server?

> > Your help is greatly appreciated.

> > Patrick Teas

1. Outlook Web Access Installation through SBS 4.5

I have a SBS machine that I recently upgraded
from SBS 4.0 to 4.5.  In the process, Exchange
Server was also upgraded from 5.0 to 5.5.  I now
want to install Outlook Web Access, but the SBS
4.5 Upgrade CD will not let you install
individual components from what I can tell.  I
knew that functionality, as well as individual
setup programs for each major component, was
available on the SBS 4.0 CD.  When I went that
route though, the Exchange Server setup program
told me that I had a higher version of Exchange
already installed and needed to use the setup
program from that version.

A call to Microsoft got a referral to tech
support from $200+/hour.

Can anyone help?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Sharper Image Psion 3C

3. Outlook Web Access in 4.5 SBS?

4. .Net Synchronisation

5. SBS 4.5 and Outlook Web Access

6. Warp wouldn't boot!

7. Outlook Web Access and SBS 4.5

8. GetPrivateProfileString / WritePrivateProfileString

9. Direct Access SBS4.0 upgrade to Direct Access SBS 4.5?

10. Outlook client upgrade from SBS 4.5 to SBS 2000

11. Problems Upgrading SBS 4.5 to SBS 2000 - Unable to access Drive C

12. SBS Console (4 to 4.5 upgrade) won't work, IIS not starting Admin web...

13. Upgrading to Outlook 2000 within SBS 4.5