Upgrading SBS4.5 to SBS2000

Post by Alan » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 21:56:09

Reading up on this on the MS site, it seems to be a question of backing up,
and just running the upgrade. After buying more CALs of course. Is it
generally this simple or are there any common pitfalls?

--
* -
* - It's always funny until someone gets hurt.

Upgrading SBS4.5 to SBS2000

Post by Grey Lancaster [SBS Rocks MVP » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 01:08:22

I assume you mean on the same box.  There are about 3 things you have to do.
Like stopping some services and changing 2 ldap ports.  Be sure you find
these instructions, then cross your fingers

--

Grey
SBS ROCKS MVP

Quote:> Reading up on this on the MS site, it seems to be a question of backing
up,
> and just running the upgrade. After buying more CALs of course. Is it
> generally this simple or are there any common pitfalls?

> --
> * -
> * - It's always funny until someone gets hurt.
> * - Then it's hilarious.
> * -

Upgrading SBS4.5 to SBS2000

Post by Hollis D. Pau » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 01:21:42

> After buying more CALs of course. Is it
> generally this simple or are there any common pitfalls?

Well, one thing most, including myself, miss is the proper naming of
the domain.  Make sure that you end it with a .local.  It will make
things easier when dealing with a hosted web of the same domain name.

Aside from that, there is a steep learning curve with ISA, SecureNat
clients, DNS and all that stuff that you can ignore with SBS4.5.  In
particular, I have never gotten Proxy2 to work.  But, with a lot of
help, ISA and DNS now work well.  All I have to do now is get it to
talk through Earthlink DSL without winpoet software.

 Hollis D. Paul [MVP - Outlook]
 Mukilteo, WA  USA
 http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?FR=0&SD=TECH&LN=EN-US

 Mukilteo, WA  USA

Upgrading SBS4.5 to SBS2000

Post by Alan » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 23:01:48

Quote:> Reading up on this on the MS site, it seems to be a question of
> backing up, and just running the upgrade. After buying more CALs of
> course. Is it generally this simple or are there any common pitfalls?

Thanks guys, I'll investigate further ...

--
* -
* - It's always funny until someone gets hurt.
* - Then it's hilarious.
* -

1. upgrading sbs4.5 to sbs2000

Hi all,

When i try to upgrade from sbs4,5 to sbs2000 the wizard stops with the
following error message;

U must logged on with the default administrators account as "Administrator"
.
Read the updated remarks of this release on the web to change the username
and the connected services
to "Administrator".

The are no links to the web to find a solutions. We have a Dutch version of
SBS and the Administrator is called
"beheerder" in Dutch so i think this causes the problem.

Anyone have an idea.

Thank you in advance.

2. wtb: Roland PG-800 Programmer

3. NSF Summer Institute Visit to ETL

4. Upgrade SBS4.5 to SBS2000

5. Bluetooth phone # transfer b/n T39 and Palm

6. 2nd order non-linear PDEs

7. Upgrade fom SBS4.5 to SBS2000

8. SBS4.5 to SBS2000 Upgrade path?

9. Email problem after upgrading from SBS4.5 to SBS2000

10. SBS4.5 - Upgrade to SBS2000 on Same Box