ARP Cache

Post by TESTN » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

I have a 2 clients which are on a remote subnet.
I would like to pre-load  the SBS 4.5 Server IP Address and the Domain
name into the ARP cache.
I have enter the following in the LMHOSTS file on the clients

10.0.0.1 <Server name> #PRE #DOM:<Domain Name>

However whenever I look at the arp cache ( "arp -a") it says the cache
is empty?

What am I doing wrong?

Any ideas?

JAK

ARP Cache

Post by Jeff Middleto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Syntax can be a birch.  Looks close.

Q102725 - LMHOSTS File Information and Predefined Keywords

Quote:> Hi,

> I have a 2 clients which are on a remote subnet.
> I would like to pre-load  the SBS 4.5 Server IP Address and the Domain
> name into the ARP cache.
> I have enter the following in the LMHOSTS file on the clients

> 10.0.0.1 <Server name> #PRE #DOM:<Domain Name>

> However whenever I look at the arp cache ( "arp -a") it says the cache
> is empty?

> What am I doing wrong?

> Any ideas?

> JAK

ARP Cache

Post by Cris Hanna, BS, MC » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

And unless you changed it, the IP address for your server is 10.0.0.2 not 1

--
Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
SBS-MVP

> Syntax can be a birch.  Looks close.

> Q102725 - LMHOSTS File Information and Predefined Keywords

> > Hi,

> > I have a 2 clients which are on a remote subnet.
> > I would like to pre-load  the SBS 4.5 Server IP Address and the Domain
> > name into the ARP cache.
> > I have enter the following in the LMHOSTS file on the clients

> > 10.0.0.1 <Server name> #PRE #DOM:<Domain Name>

> > However whenever I look at the arp cache ( "arp -a") it says the cache
> > is empty?

> > What am I doing wrong?

> > Any ideas?

> > JAK

1. Proxy: Cache, cache and cache again

Well, I think you cannot cascade your ISP's proxy with SBS - Proxy Server
1.0 siply doesn't support that.

The reason why ISPs cache is simple - they pay for bandwidth: the less
traffic they generate the less they pay.
Proxy Server's and browser's caching is two different approach to reduce the
traffic through the Internet. I think that local - i.e. browser's - caching
is more effective than using only ProxyServer to cache the pages.
However, you can turn off any cache you want- all programs support that.
W.

2. How to call a function on another form?

3. Web Proxy Cache failed to initialize the URL cache on disk

4. Novice kerberos questions - ignore the other one

5. ARP and browsing

6. Make Money with Home PC Sure ?? Read ME

7. Help with ISA Cache and DNS? How can you clear the isa cache and dns cache?

8. Wanted: S-Bus Ethernet adaptor for SS2

9. Even with Proxy cache, wil ISA hurt SBS2003 / Internet performance

10. ISA Cache drive

11. Proxy Server - cache initialisation failed

12. WWW Service cache problems - Proxy Server

13. limit direct web access but cache