DHCP client could not obtain an address

Post by A Vasitc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have a notebook which was successfully connecting to SBS using Windows 98.
I have installed from scratch NT 4 workstation onto the notebook.  When
running the computer setup disk for setting up of SBS Client I get the error
message 'DHCP client could not obtain an address'.  Why is this and what can
I do to get connected to the server.

Thanks

Alex

Post by Jim Behni » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I have a notebook which was successfully connecting to SBS using Windows 98.
>I have installed from scratch NT 4 workstation onto the notebook.  When
>running the computer setup disk for setting up of SBS Client I get the error
>message 'DHCP client could not obtain an address'.  Why is this and what can
>I do to get connected to the server.

Manually assign an ip like 10.0.0.132 (pick an ip of choice as long as
it is above 10 and also assuming that you are using the default ip
scheme) with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 to see if you now connect to
the server. I sometimes have workstations that do not like to connect
to the server when using DHCP. I have not spent much time chasing down
the problem as there are more important problems to deal with for me.

Jim

DHCP client could not obtain an address

Post by A Vasitc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hasn't worked for me,  I have no idea where to go from here.

Alex

>>I have a notebook which was successfully connecting to SBS using Windows
98.
>>I have installed from scratch NT 4 workstation onto the notebook.  When
>>running the computer setup disk for setting up of SBS Client I get the
error
>>message 'DHCP client could not obtain an address'.  Why is this and what
can
>>I do to get connected to the server.

>Manually assign an ip like 10.0.0.132 (pick an ip of choice as long as
>it is above 10 and also assuming that you are using the default ip
>scheme) with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 to see if you now connect to
>the server. I sometimes have workstations that do not like to connect
>to the server when using DHCP. I have not spent much time chasing down
>the problem as there are more important problems to deal with for me.

>Jim

DHCP client could not obtain an address

Post by Jim Behni » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Hasn't worked for me,  I have no idea where to go from here.

>Alex

>>>I have a notebook which was successfully connecting to SBS using Windows

If you have tried the static ip route and you have no luck here are
the basics. Pick up another machine that does log into the server
correctly, move it to the problem office, hook it up to the same cable
in you were using and see if it hooks up. If it does not then you know
you have a cabling problem. Green lights on hub or nic do not
neccessarily mean that you have a good connection. Some nics need
either the latest nic drivers or sometimes not. I heard one regular
contributor comment about Linksys having released in one year 3 nics
with the same model name but different chips that required different
drivers. Or you could move the laptop to a connection that you know is
good and see if it works. I have had to remove all instances of nics
in network control panel to get things working again. Reboot laptop
and it should find the nic and then load the correct drivers. Multiple
appeareances of nics when you have only one nic can cause problems.

Jim

1. Not able to mark "Obtain IP adresse from DHCP-server"

Hi Guys

We have just bought a faster Internet-connection through a 1-Meg modem. We
run SBS 4.5 w/SP 4 and have two networkadapters in the machine. Before we
used a ISDN Router and I was told I could just move the ISDN Router and
place the 1-Megs modem instead - no router needed. But I need to opbatin an
IP adress from the DHCP-server - and this option is "faded" under
TCP/IP/properties in network.....Is this common in SBS 4.5 even if you have
two network-adapters installed. Will it help to install SP6? Or do I need a
router? My Internetprovider recommends a Zyxel prestige 310....Ive heard
something about some software (Sygate) but I dont think it will help me
getting an IP-adress....
Ive asked if I could set it up manually, but the 1-Megs neeed to obtain it
the first time it logs on because of something I cant remember (Im not an
expert as you might have guessed). Anybody have a clue?

Thanks in advance.

Bets regards
Morten Telling
Denmark

2. HP Officejet not loading paper right

3. DHCP Client on 2nd nic does not renew IP address

4. Networking with win2k

5. DHCP server not providing addresses to all clients

6. TAO_Wait_On_Read: No countdown is done during wait.

7. DHCP clients on subnet unable to obtain a lease ?

8. Music CD Software

9. XP Pro client won't obtain IP address/domain from SBS 2000

10. does the inventory update SMS client record on IP address if SMS client is using DHCP

11. DHCP not assigning IP addresses

12. DHCP does not assign addresses

13. Unable to Obtain IP via DHCP from ISP