what utility is MS using to migrate local computer profiles to SBS 2003 domain accounts?

what utility is MS using to migrate local computer profiles to SBS 2003 domain accounts?

Post by World Fre » Tue, 15 Jun 2004 03:09:13

Hello,

I am experimenting around in my lab environment getting SBS 2003 up and
running (all my experience is with regular Windows 200x server/domains).
Needless to say, it is interesting but MS does a really good job of
automating a lot of the procedures that I am normally used to doing
manually or with my own scripts.  I can definately see why a small business
wouldn't find this product as daunting.

My question is during the process of adding my test workstations to the SBS
domain I go to the URL http://<servername>/ConnectComputer/ and associate
the local machine profiles to the new domain profiles.  It then goes
through the process of migrating all the data and settings.  Can someone
point me in the right direction of some whitepaper that describes what is
going on in the background as well as the exe that was used to migrate to
the new domain profiles?  Is it some new tool or just a GUI front-end to
the moveuser tool from the resource kit?

-Thanks
-World

what utility is MS using to migrate local computer profiles to SBS 2003 domain accounts?

Post by Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP » Tue, 15 Jun 2004 13:02:13

-------------------------------

  Client Configuration
The following section outlines the automatic configurations performed as
part of client Setup for client computers running Windows XP
Professional and Windows 2000 Professional, based on best practice
implementations.

Important: To connect client computers to the network, use DHCP to
automatically assign IP addresses.

Client Networking Configuration
Once you have added users and computers using the To Do List, go to the
client computer, open Internet Explorer, and type http:// ServerName
/connectcomputer (where ServerName is the name of the computer running
Windows Small Business Server). Click Connect to the network now, and
follow the instructions in the Small Business Server Network
Configuration Wizard to configure networking settings for your client
computers. The wizard requires the following:

? You must be logged on as a member of the Local Admins security group
on the client computer.

? Only one network adapter can be enabled and configured to connect to
the local network.

? TCP/IP, Client for Microsoft Networks, and File and Printer Sharing
for Microsoft Networks must be installed and bound to the network
adapter. TCP/IP is configured to automatically obtain an IP address and
DNS server addresses.

Client Application Configuration
After the applications that have been deployed by the Set Up Computer
Wizard are installed, they are configured for each user and for the
local network. The following settings are configured:

Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1

Internet Explorer 6 provides the Web browser for client computers.
Client Setup Configuration configures Internet Explorer 6 as follows:

? The Home Page is configured to point to My Company (http://companyweb).

? The following internal Web site links are added to the Favorites list
Web site:

Web site Address
Microsoft Windows Small Business Server Web site

My Company
  http://companyweb

My E-mail
  http://sbsserver/exchange

Information and Answers
  http://sbsserver/clienthelp

Small Business Server Administration
  http://servername/tsweb/Default.htm?AutoConnect=1

Microsoft Office Outlook 2003

Outlook 2003 provides a single location for organizing and managing
daily information, from e-mail and calendars to contacts and task lists.
Client Setup Configuration configures Outlook 2003 as follows:

? A user profile is created and configured to use Exchange Server 2003.
The profile specifies Exchange connections and defines account information.

? If the client computer contains existing profiles, the option for
using Exchange is added and a new profile is created as the default. The
old profile is backed up.

? If you specify that the client computer will be used remotely, Outlook
2003 is configured to run in Cached Exchange Mode.

Fax Client

Fax Client enables users to send faxes directly from their desktops.
Depending on the user permissions, users can view the status of faxes in
the queue or cancel faxes. Client Setup Configuration configures Fax
Client as follows:

? Outlook is configured with faxing capability.

--
http://www.sbslinks.com/really.htm

what utility is MS using to migrate local computer profiles to SBS 2003 domain accounts?

Post by World Fre » Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:14:11

Uh...Thanks Susan.  Unfortunately, I guess I wasn't clear enough with my
question.

I am interested in knowing what is happening (aka what tool, what
procedure, what app, what script, etc.) is being run to choose the local
profile to domain profile mapping?  I think I found the answer to my own
question...partially.

The moveuser.exe tool is used.  I found it in the \\<servername>\c
$\inetpub\connectcomputer directory.  Now to just find out which GUI
(exe) is making the call.

-World

Quote:> -------------------------------

>   Client Configuration
> The following section outlines the automatic configurations performed
> as part of client Setup for client computers running Windows XP
> Professional and Windows 2000 Professional, based on best practice
> implementations.

> Important: To connect client computers to the network, use DHCP to
> automatically assign IP addresses.

> Client Networking Configuration
> Once you have added users and computers using the To Do List, go to
> the client computer, open Internet Explorer, and type http://
> ServerName /connectcomputer (where ServerName is the name of the
> computer running Windows Small Business Server). Click Connect to the
> network now, and follow the instructions in the Small Business Server
> Network Configuration Wizard to configure networking settings for your
> client computers. The wizard requires the following:

> ? You must be logged on as a member of the Local Admins security group
> on the client computer.

> ? Only one network adapter can be enabled and configured to connect to
> the local network.

> ? TCP/IP, Client for Microsoft Networks, and File and Printer Sharing
> for Microsoft Networks must be installed and bound to the network
> adapter. TCP/IP is configured to automatically obtain an IP address
> and DNS server addresses.

-snip-

what utility is MS using to migrate local computer profiles to SBS 2003 domain accounts?

Post by Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP » Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:17:03

AFAIK that's their script under the hood.  It's unique to SBS as far as
I know.

--
http://www.sbslinks.com/really.htm

1. Migrating SBS 4.5 Domain to Windows 2003 Server.

What is the best way to migrate a domain from SBS 4.5 to Windows 2003 Server.
The current domain has a single server, and will be replaced with a new
server running Windows 2003 Server with Exchange 2003 installed also.

I have read various reports on how to do this.

1 way is to setup the new server as a NT 4.0 BDC, promote it to a PDC and
the Upgrade to Windows 2003. Then set up Active Directory (I can't remember
if you can have BDC's in an SBS 4.5 Domain?!....its been a while since i used
SBS 4.5).

2nd way is to setup New Server with 2003 and Active Directory and then use
the ADMT to transfer all the accounts etc.

However I notice with the second method you have to use a different Domain
name. Which would surely mean I would have to reconfigure all of the clients
(All XP Pro) to the new domain ie copy all of the user profiles over to the
new domain?

Which is the best way to do this ....or neither of the above?

Many thanks

Ambrose

2. Probably Been Asked A Hundred Times....

3. info@domain account in SBS 2003

4. no server on port 80

5. Domain Migration from Windows NT Domain to Windows SBS 2003 Domain

6. msconfig.exe under Win2000?!?

7. Migrate SBS 4.0 to SBS 2003

8. how to know total amount of time spent on communication on IBM SP2?

9. Migrating microsoft SBS 2000 exchange info to SBS 2003

10. Migrating SBS 4.5 to SBS 2003

11. SBS Exchange 5.5 migration to Windows Server 2003 w/ Exchange 2003 on a new domain

12. migrating computer accounts with sbs

13. Migrate SBS 4.0 to SBS 2003