"Internet Explorer Script Error" when try to run "Manage Server"

"Internet Explorer Script Error" when try to run "Manage Server"

Post by Dan Billingsle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I get this error whenever I attempt to use the Manager Server from the
Start Menu on the sbs.  I upgraded to IE 4.01 SP1, and I still get the
same error.

Anyone have any ideas?

"Internet Explorer Script Error" when try to run "Manage Server"

Post by Grey Lancaster [Solutions » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I would think there are some errors in the vent log you should tell us
about.

Grey

>I get this error whenever I attempt to use the Manager Server from the
>Start Menu on the sbs.  I upgraded to IE 4.01 SP1, and I still get the
>same error.

>Anyone have any ideas?

"Internet Explorer Script Error" when try to run "Manage Server"

Post by Cris Hanna, BS, MCP, MV » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Dan,
What version of SBS are you running 4.0 or 4.0a???
If you have not upgraded SBS to 4.0a then this expected with IE 4.0.

If you have upgraded to 4.0a then advise and we'll look farther.

Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
SBS-MVP

>I get this error whenever I attempt to use the Manager Server from the
>Start Menu on the sbs.  I upgraded to IE 4.01 SP1, and I still get the
>same error.

>Anyone have any ideas?

"Internet Explorer Script Error" when try to run "Manage Server"

Post by Michel Bordelea » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

About the Manage Server console:  This is really an html/asp-based
application.  It runs using the built-in web browser (in SBS 4.0=IE3, in
SBS4.0a=IE4).  There is a very intricate interplay between the console code
and the IE/ASP components and the file permissions for the code.

What can kill the console?

1.  Playing with file permissions for the console code files (anything in
\\servername\SmallBusiness, amongst others).  You shouldn't play with these
permissions unless you REALLY know what you're doing, but since I haven't
seen anywhere what the DEFAULT permissions are, I don't want to play with
them myself... :)

2.  Installing IE4 on an SBS 4.0 server.  The interdependencies between IE
and SBS are many.  Installing IE4 on top of IE3 on the 4.0 server will break
these links and cause the console to stop working.

3.  The ASP components are also involved in the console code; playing with
hese could also cause problems.

How to fix the console?

1.  Try re-installing the browser component for your version of SBS; that
is, install the browser from the same SBS CD you used to install SBS (if IE4
is installed on SBS4.0, uninstall it first).

2.  Similarly, try re-installing the ASP functionality; see
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q186/3/88.asp;

3.  If you don't already have 4.0a, now might be a good time to apply it.

4.  If your problem is based on the permissions, the only way I found to
resolve this was to do a complete re-install... admittedly, a few of the
above solutions where unknown to me when I ran into that problem so I'd give
those a try first.  Leave the reformatting/reinstalling 'solution' until the
very end. :)

I hope this has been of some help.

Michel Bordeleau (MVP-SBS, ClubWin Team4 Captain)
IS Manager
Healthcare Information Technologies

http://www.hit-teleservice.com
(514) 932-3232

Quote:>I get this error whenever I attempt to use the Manager Server from the
>Start Menu on the sbs.  I upgraded to IE 4.01 SP1, and I still get the
>same error.

>Anyone have any ideas?

"Internet Explorer Script Error" when try to run "Manage Server"

Post by Michae » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>permissions unless you REALLY know what you're doing, but since I haven't
>seen anywhere what the DEFAULT permissions are, I don't want to play with
>them myself... :)

If you haven't played with the permissions, then the defaults will be on
your hard disk?

--
Michael.

"Internet Explorer Script Error" when try to run "Manage Server"

Post by Dan Billingsle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks for the responses.  Unfortunately, I didn't make much progress.

There are no messages in event viewer.

I have 4.0a apparantly.  (The only place I can see that is under the
"about..." link once the Manage Server page crashes)

I already tried the scorched earth method, as this is a new server I am
trying to get set up.  Testing the Manage Server program was one of the
very first things I tried.  I did have a lockup during installation, and
when I rebooted it started back about 4 steps and seemed to install fine
right past the error point.

I get two script errors, both are "Object doesn't support this property or
method"... one is for "SamPad32.Selected" and the other is for
"SamPad32.TitleText"

I uninstalled IE from the server, then reinstalled it from the sbs CD.
Now whenever I start the "Manage Server" I get a form titled "Entire
Network Password" asking me for a username and password.  It also displays
10.0.0.2, the address of the server, I believe.

So, now it is broke worse than before.  Where do we go from here.

> I get this error whenever I attempt to use the Manager Server from the
> Start Menu on the sbs.  I upgraded to IE 4.01 SP1, and I still get the
> same error.

> Anyone have any ideas?

"Internet Explorer Script Error" when try to run "Manage Server"

Post by Dan Billingsle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Problem solved with a reinstall (for fourth time).

> Thanks for the responses.  Unfortunately, I didn't make much progress.

> There are no messages in event viewer.

> I have 4.0a apparantly.  (The only place I can see that is under the
> "about..." link once the Manage Server page crashes)

> I already tried the scorched earth method, as this is a new server I am
> trying to get set up.  Testing the Manage Server program was one of the
> very first things I tried.  I did have a lockup during installation, and
> when I rebooted it started back about 4 steps and seemed to install fine
> right past the error point.

> I get two script errors, both are "Object doesn't support this property or
> method"... one is for "SamPad32.Selected" and the other is for
> "SamPad32.TitleText"

> I uninstalled IE from the server, then reinstalled it from the sbs CD.
> Now whenever I start the "Manage Server" I get a form titled "Entire
> Network Password" asking me for a username and password.  It also displays
> 10.0.0.2, the address of the server, I believe.

> So, now it is broke worse than before.  Where do we go from here.

> > I get this error whenever I attempt to use the Manager Server from the
> > Start Menu on the sbs.  I upgraded to IE 4.01 SP1, and I still get the
> > same error.

> > Anyone have any ideas?

"Internet Explorer Script Error" when try to run "Manage Server"

Post by Michel Bordelea » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>If you haven't played with the permissions, then the defaults will be on
>your hard disk?

Quite true... but which folders/files are we talking about?  That's the
problem, there's not really any way to find out which files you need to know
the permissions for... if you ask me for the default permissions on a
specific file/folder, I can do that, but I can't tell you what the default
permissions for all files/folders involved with the console.   :)

Michel Bordeleau (MVP-SBS, ClubWin Team4 Captain)
IS Manager
Healthcare Information Technologies

http://www.hit-teleservice.com
(514) 932-3232

Quote:>>permissions unless you REALLY know what you're doing, but since I haven't
>>seen anywhere what the DEFAULT permissions are, I don't want to play with
>>them myself... :)

"Internet Explorer Script Error" when try to run "Manage Server"

Post by Michae » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Fair point, though "I don't know the files" seems a different problem to "I
don't know the DEFAULT permissions", and has a different solution.

You need filemon (and regmon) from http://www.sysinternals.com and/or
judicious use of file & object auditing.
--
Michael.

"Internet Explorer Script Error" when try to run "Manage Server"

Post by Michel Bordelea » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>Fair point, though "I don't know the files" seems a different problem to "I
>don't know the DEFAULT permissions", and has a different solution.

Quite likely true.

Quote:>You need filemon (and regmon) from http://www.sysinternals.com and/or
>judicious use of file & object auditing.

I'll take a look... thanks for the pointer.

Michel Bordeleau (MVP-SBS, ClubWin Team4 Captain)
IS Manager
Healthcare Information Technologies

http://www.hit-teleservice.com
(514) 932-3232

1. Problems with special characters like ("?","ΓΌ","?","?",aso.)

Hi

I use Samba 2.0.4b.
When I copy a file with a filename including a special
character from a win95 machine to my linux server, I dont find the special
characters any more. They have changed to "_" or something like that.

What can I do?
Do I have to write something special in the smb.conf?

Cya
   Markus

PGBP (PrettyGoodBlubberPrivacy) V9.9478239jd2n38943
----
dslktj3reio598uterdghnv897re7thj5258934uteretpjeriotjergmnfdg9834t34terehwjkrwq
ejrklejwr98u5r8934nf3nr04n58934vn5534n2c5345m493056xk05,29035734256nr4k3985u4t8
g45t70,df5?.54?5345934+534?5634685356834?tli34290571383rfhbjksdbhfztf4567vse
kdfvqkurzfj438rtjifm3409tmk3409tf3490jt43095j23423p4k2390423i409234k23904kkdfks
Code verified!
----

2. how to assign a dos command to a key?

3. "Server=domain" and "add user script": How to know group?

4. How to close Analyze results window

5. I Cannot "manage computers" - "Net work path not found".

6. Tape drive

7. Outlook 2000 "Internet Only" vs "Corporate or Workgroup"

8. sp4 fails: unable to read scriptmaps from metabase

9. What is error "Collection "00100037" has no update schedule"?

10. 102 errors from #import <activeds.tlb> rename("_LARGE_INTEGER", "")

11. "reverse" "Upgrade" - Windows 2000Srv to SBS Server..?

12. changing from "per seat" to "per server"

13. FYI - SQL Server "Hello" authentication is at "critical" vulnerability level