Modem Sharing: Can't access server modem from Client

Modem Sharing: Can't access server modem from Client

Post by Mike Burkinsha » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Running SB4a (no SP4). I'm trying to access the server modem from a
workstation running NT4, SP4 (with the replaced ports.cpl file too!)

The workstation, HADES, has a local modem used for a variety of purposes on
COM1. The modem sharing port is COM4 and shows the remote modem on ZEUS (the
server). It is configured exactly as per the modem settings on ZEUS itself.
WSP Client is unticked on ZEUS and is also unticked on HADES too.

Whenever I try to dial out using the modem on ZEUS, I receive error 633
"port already in use or not configured for RAS dialout." At the times of
dialling the port is most definitely NOT being used. The ZEUS modem access
the Internet regularly for our email and time checks, and the configuration
on RAS on HADES has COM4 configured for dial out.

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks,
Mike

Modem Sharing: Can't access server modem from Client

Post by Neville Walke » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Check the "name" of the modem port on Zeus and make sure it is the same on the
Workstation.  It must match exactly.

Nev

> Running SB4a (no SP4). I'm trying to access the server modem from a
> workstation running NT4, SP4 (with the replaced ports.cpl file too!)

> The workstation, HADES, has a local modem used for a variety of purposes on
> COM1. The modem sharing port is COM4 and shows the remote modem on ZEUS (the
> server). It is configured exactly as per the modem settings on ZEUS itself.
> WSP Client is unticked on ZEUS and is also unticked on HADES too.

> Whenever I try to dial out using the modem on ZEUS, I receive error 633
> "port already in use or not configured for RAS dialout." At the times of
> dialling the port is most definitely NOT being used. The ZEUS modem access
> the Internet regularly for our email and time checks, and the configuration
> on RAS on HADES has COM4 configured for dial out.

> Any suggestions or advice?

> Thanks,
> Mike

1. Proxy access works, shared modem access doesn't

Am having some problems on the comm end of a small SBS network.

I have Proxy server working fine through an ISDN TA on COM1. Can access
the net for mail, newsgroups, and web browsing from server and from
workstations.

However, I can't seem to access the net through a shared modem attached
to the server's COM2 from the workstations. The ISP logon info is the
same for the ISDN connection and a dial-up connection, but I get an
error message that 'link was terminated by remote machine (error 629)'
after connection.

If I understand correctly, Proxy Server (am using V2) can be assigned to
one port only, so that all requests go out through the device connected
to that port. Correct? If that is the case, does Proxy Server not allow
connections through other ports, or is there a workaround I haven't
stumbled on?

What I'm trying to accomplish: users access Web thru ISDN, but access
their email accounts through the shared modems.

Thanks.

-John

P.S. One other anomaly. If I try to access the SBS Server's FTP page, it
succeeds, but only after first activating the outside Internet
connection.   I did 'disable' Proxy Server for local network.

2. Comparing perl scraped files & printing difference

3. Modem Share doesn't find my fax/ modem now

4. DSL and Ethernet IPs....

5. Modem Sharing: Modem pools not visible on client ports

6. Cost

7. SBS Shared Modem + IE4 uses shared modem AND Proxy Dial-out!?%$

8. Print to file Excel.5.0

9. Shared Modem - modem not functional on client pc

10. Fax Sharing/Modem Sharing with one modem

11. Can Proxy share modems with Modem Sharing?

12. Modems for Fax server and Modem sharing

13. Sharing modems on WIN95 PC's and accessing using SAMBA