Windows "Help" Can't Create "Find" Database

Windows "Help" Can't Create "Find" Database

Post by Jay Gourle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Anybody know what causes this error from "Windows Help": "Unable to display
the Find tab".  The database creation works for several seconds as expected,
then, instead of getting a "find" display, I get this error.

Windows "Help" Can't Create "Find" Database

Post by Neville Walke » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

The following is from a Knowledge Base article on this subject.

In Winhlp32.exe, you may encounter the following error when you click the Find
tab in the Help Topics dialog box:

   Unable to display the Find tab. (177)

This error may occur immediately upon clicking the Find tab, or it may occur
just
after the word list has been built (during the first time the help file is run).

CAUSE
=====

The cause of this error depends on when it occurs. If it occurs immediately upon

clicking the Find tab, the problem may be an old or corrupted .gid file.
Normally, when help is started for the first time, it builds the Full Text
Search database (.fts) and the index file (.gid). However, if a .gid file
already exists in the current directory, help may become confused and display
the error message when the Find tab is clicked.

If the error message occurs immediately after the word list has been built, the
problem is most likely due to help attempting to index a help file that contains

no keywords. This can happen if a helpfile is referenced by way of an Index
command in a contents file (.cnt) and that helpfile has no K footnotes.

RESOLUTION
==========

If the problem is due to a damaged or corrupted .gid file, delete the existing
.gid and .fts files and re-launch the help file. Note that the .gid file is a
hidden file that resides in the same directory as the help file.

If the problem is due to indexing a help file that contains no keywords, either
remove the help file from the index entirely or use the Link command in the
contents (.cnt) file to reference the help file. If you are unsure whether or
not a help file has keywords in it, you can either search the .rtf files for K
footnotes, or you can use the reporting mechanism in Help Workshop. To do the
latter, click Report on the File menu, specify the help file to search, specify
a file to output the results to, and choose K keywords for Display options. This

gives you a list of all of the keywords in the specified helpfile.

Neville

> Anybody know what causes this error from "Windows Help": "Unable to display
> the Find tab".  The database creation works for several seconds as expected,
> then, instead of getting a "find" display, I get this error.

Windows "Help" Can't Create "Find" Database

Post by Neville Walke » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

And some more!! from another article
When you click Start, click Help, click the Find tab, and then click Next, you
may receive the following error message:

   Unable to display Find tab (177)

CAUSE
=====

This issue can occur if the Update.cnt file contains a reference to the
Mstask.hlp file.

RESOLUTION
==========

To resolve this issue:

1. Rename the Update.cnt file in the %SystemRoot%\Help (for Windows NT) or
   Windows\Help (for Windows 95) folder. When you specify a new file name, it
   should not contain the .cnt file extension (for example, use Update.xxx).

   For information about how to rename a file, click Start, click Help, click the
   Index tab, type "renaming" (without the quotation marks), and then
   double-click the "Renaming files" topic.

2. Delete the Windows.gid index file. This file is re-created the next time you
   search for a Help topic.

   For information about how to delete a file, click Start, click Help, click the
   Index tab, type "deleting" (without the quotation marks), and then
   double-click the "Deleting files or folders" topic.

3. Try searching for the Help topic again.

STATUS
======

Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.

MORE INFORMATION
================

The Update.cnt and Mstask.hlp files are included with Microsoft Internet
Explorer 4.x and Microsoft Windows 98, and are not compatible with the Internet
Explorer 5 Hypertext Markup Language (HTML)-based Help system.

Neville

> [...]

> If the problem is due to indexing a help file that contains no keywords, either
> remove the help file from the index entirely or use the Link command in the
> contents (.cnt) file to reference the help file. If you are unsure whether or
> not a help file has keywords in it, you can either search the .rtf files for K
> footnotes, or you can use the reporting mechanism in Help Workshop. To do the
> latter, click Report on the File menu, specify the help file to search, specify
> a file to output the results to, and choose K keywords for Display options. This

> gives you a list of all of the keywords in the specified helpfile.

> Neville

> > Anybody know what causes this error from "Windows Help": "Unable to display
> > the Find tab".  The database creation works for several seconds as expected,
> > then, instead of getting a "find" display, I get this error.

1. Problems with special characters like ("?","ΓΌ","?","?",aso.)

Hi

I use Samba 2.0.4b.
When I copy a file with a filename including a special
character from a win95 machine to my linux server, I dont find the special
characters any more. They have changed to "_" or something like that.

What can I do?
Do I have to write something special in the smb.conf?

Cya
   Markus

PGBP (PrettyGoodBlubberPrivacy) V9.9478239jd2n38943
----
dslktj3reio598uterdghnv897re7thj5258934uteretpjeriotjergmnfdg9834t34terehwjkrwq
ejrklejwr98u5r8934nf3nr04n58934vn5534n2c5345m493056xk05,29035734256nr4k3985u4t8
g45t70,df5?.54?5345934+534?5634685356834?tli34290571383rfhbjksdbhfztf4567vse
kdfvqkurzfj438rtjifm3409tmk3409tf3490jt43095j23423p4k2390423i409234k23904kkdfks
Code verified!
----

2. To Microsoft: cant' write to pvt.service.lck Please Help.

3. SAMBA ignores "create mode" and "create mask"

4. sidebars in latex

5. I Cannot "manage computers" - "Net work path not found".

6. sendmail FAQ

7. Virus Alert: "Life Stages" and "Funny" which can be found in email...

8. where do installers "place" files so "add remove hardware" can find them?

9. Unwanted subfolders named "Desktop", ".kde" auto created in Win98, Winnt user folders

10. "reverse" "Upgrade" - Windows 2000Srv to SBS Server..?

11. Please forgive the "Woody", it's "Walter Mautner" (realname) instead :)

12. "new window" for "list view links" problem