Can't Share Files on XP Client

Post by Steve Garabe » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 01:57:33

I recently added an XP Pro client to my SBS 4.5 network.
Now that the XP client is on the network I would like to
share some of the directories for use with an accounting
program.  I have shared the program file directtory, and
the directory of the files I would like to access from
other computer on the SBS 4.5 network, but I can't get to
the files.  The XP pro machine does show up under network
neighborhood, but I can't get to the files.  Does anyone
have how to fix this problem?

Can't Share Files on XP Client

Post by Systems Manage » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 04:49:57

I have encountered the same problem in SBS 2000 with an XP client. In my
case all the folders on the XP's local drive seem to have the Read Only
attribute set, according to their property sheet. I change the attribute to
remove Read Only but *it comes back!* Funny enough the attribute doesn't
seem to show up at the command line. Does any of this mirror your
experience??

Wayne

Quote:> I recently added an XP Pro client to my SBS 4.5 network.
> Now that the XP client is on the network I would like to
> share some of the directories for use with an accounting
> program.  I have shared the program file directtory, and
> the directory of the files I would like to access from
> other computer on the SBS 4.5 network, but I can't get to
> the files.  The XP pro machine does show up under network
> neighborhood, but I can't get to the files.  Does anyone
> have how to fix this problem?

Can't Share Files on XP Client

Post by DKH » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 23:21:00

Q311153

> I have encountered the same problem in SBS 2000 with an XP client. In my
> case all the folders on the XP's local drive seem to have the Read Only
> attribute set, according to their property sheet. I change the attribute
> remove Read Only but *it comes back!* Funny enough the attribute doesn't
> seem to show up at the command line. Does any of this mirror your
> experience??

> Wayne

> > I recently added an XP Pro client to my SBS 4.5 network.
> > Now that the XP client is on the network I would like to
> > share some of the directories for use with an accounting
> > program.  I have shared the program file directtory, and
> > the directory of the files I would like to access from
> > other computer on the SBS 4.5 network, but I can't get to
> > the files.  The XP pro machine does show up under network
> > neighborhood, but I can't get to the files.  Does anyone
> > have how to fix this problem?

Can't Share Files on XP Client

Post by David Elder » Thu, 20 Jun 2002 01:44:00

??? is this really the same thing ???

WD2002: Error Message: "Word Cannot Complete the Save Due to a File
Permission Error" When You Save a Document on Index Server (Q311153)
I have the same issue with regards 'seeing' the XP box but not being able to
access folders/files. Must be a default permissions thing surely?

David Elders
AKD Systems Ltd.

> Q311153

> > I have encountered the same problem in SBS 2000 with an XP client. In my
> > case all the folders on the XP's local drive seem to have the Read Only
> > attribute set, according to their property sheet. I change the attribute
> > remove Read Only but *it comes back!* Funny enough the attribute doesn't
> > seem to show up at the command line. Does any of this mirror your
> > experience??

> > Wayne

> > > I recently added an XP Pro client to my SBS 4.5 network.
> > > Now that the XP client is on the network I would like to
> > > share some of the directories for use with an accounting
> > > program.  I have shared the program file directtory, and
> > > the directory of the files I would like to access from
> > > other computer on the SBS 4.5 network, but I can't get to
> > > the files.  The XP pro machine does show up under network
> > > neighborhood, but I can't get to the files.  Does anyone
> > > have how to fix this problem?

1. XP Clients can't browse but can connect (1 of several XP query's)

Hello:

Brand new installation with all XP clients attached to SBS2000.  The clients
are unable to browse the domain but if you manually map a drive it works
fine.  Printers can also be manually attached via active directory.

The machines can ping the server both by name and IP address.

Any ideas?

joel*

2. Outook Sync Software

3. XP and 'shared fax console' - where is it?

4. Wanted: Cheap Scsi Cd-rom or CDTV

5. FILE LOCKING PROBLEMS WITH WIN XP SP1/ WIN2K SP3 ON THE SERVER AND OFFICE XP FILES

6. DKB 2M chipram board?

7. Windows 2000 and Money 2001

8. Outlook XP clients can't see other user's folders

9. Printing from Solaris to a 'Shared' client printer

10. Anyone know how to 'push' and execute single files on clients?

11. Can't Browse Samba Shares from XP Home Edition

12. Windows XP can't browse Linux shares