Question about buying a New/Used Dell PowerEdge SC420 SBS 2003

Question about buying a New/Used Dell PowerEdge SC420 SBS 2003

Post by Michael McCre » Mon, 03 Jul 2006 13:41:01

Dear Readers,

I have the oppertunity to buy a NEW / Used DELL PowerEdge SC420 Server with
SBS 2003 Standard Edition pre-installed. This Server was in use for one week
at a computer * company that has gone out of business. I have all the
Software, Manuals etc. from DELL still in the Shrink wrap, all COA's are in
place as well as are all documentation from DELL. I also can have Microsoft
Office 2003 SMB with Business Contact Manager. This server is brand new not
even a bit of dust on any of the fans. My question is, can I re-install this
OS and re-register it to my company where it has been registed to
"Bungie*" as this is the Domain Name when I boot up the server.

Or will I have to buy a new licence? I can get this server for a great deal
as the owner wants to move out west.

Thank you in advance
--
Cheers,

Michael McCrea, MCP, A+, Network+
SoHo Help Desk Computer Services
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Question about buying a New/Used Dell PowerEdge SC420 SBS 2003

Post by SBS-MV » Mon, 03 Jul 2006 14:33:55

When you re-install, the issue may come with activiation.   If there is a problem when you try to activate, you will get a phone number to call.  If the person on the phone doesn't assist you, ask for a supervisor.  Make sure that your bill of sale shows the product being sold and their company name.   You may have some faxing to do, but  you get through it.   Make sure you have at least a week left for activation in case you have to do faxing etc.

--
Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]
--------------------------------------

[...]

Post by Michael McCre » Tue, 04 Jul 2006 04:09:01

Thank You Chris,
This is what I thought, but wanted to make sure before I go through the
steps. Any time I have had to call Dell for a customer it was not always a
very helpful experience, or enjoyable for that matter. But this was usually
for Home User type HDD warrenty issues etc... Maybe Server Support will be
more enjoyable :-)

Once again thank you so much for your assistance. Have a great weekend.
--
Cheers,

Michael McCrea, MCP, A+, Network+
SoHo Help Desk Computer Services
http://www.veryComputer.com/

> When you re-install, the issue may come with activiation.   If there is a problem when you try to activate, you will get a phone number to call.  If the person on the phone doesn't assist you, ask for a supervisor.  Make sure that your bill of sale shows the product being sold and their company name.   You may have some faxing to do, but  you get through it.   Make sure you have at least a week left for activation in case you have to do faxing etc.

> --
> Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]
> --------------------------------------
> Please do not respond directly to me, but only post in the newsgroup so all can take advantage

>   Dear Readers,

>   I have the oppertunity to buy a NEW / Used DELL PowerEdge SC420 Server with
>   SBS 2003 Standard Edition pre-installed. This Server was in use for one week
>   at a computer * company that has gone out of business. I have all the
>   Software, Manuals etc. from DELL still in the Shrink wrap, all COA's are in
>   place as well as are all documentation from DELL. I also can have Microsoft
>   Office 2003 SMB with Business Contact Manager. This server is brand new not
>   even a bit of dust on any of the fans. My question is, can I re-install this
>   OS and re-register it to my company where it has been registed to
>   "Bungie*" as this is the Domain Name when I boot up the server.

>   Or will I have to buy a new licence? I can get this server for a great deal
>   as the owner wants to move out west.

>   Thank you in advance
>   --
>   Cheers,

>   Michael McCrea, MCP, A+, Network+
>   SoHo Help Desk Computer Services
>   http://www.veryComputer.com/

Question about buying a New/Used Dell PowerEdge SC420 SBS 2003

Post by SBS-MV » Tue, 04 Jul 2006 04:51:34

I think we are talking two different issues

If you are talking about transferring warranties, etc on the server thats a much different situation that re-registering/re-activating  the server software in your name which would be through Microsoft.

If you are expecting to transfer warranties purchased etc.  you better check with dell before any money changes hands

--
Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]
--------------------------------------
Please do not respond directly to me, but only post in the newsgroup so all can take advantage

  Thank You Chris,
  This is what I thought, but wanted to make sure before I go through the
  steps. Any time I have had to call Dell for a customer it was not always a
  very helpful experience, or enjoyable for that matter. But this was usually
  for Home User type HDD warrenty issues etc... Maybe Server Support will be
  more enjoyable :-)

  Once again thank you so much for your assistance. Have a great weekend.
  --
  Cheers,

  Michael McCrea, MCP, A+, Network+
  SoHo Help Desk Computer Services
  http://www.veryComputer.com/

  > When you re-install, the issue may come with activiation.   If there is a problem when you try to activate, you will get a phone number to call.  If the person on the phone doesn't assist you, ask for a supervisor.  Make sure that your bill of sale shows the product being sold and their company name.   You may have some faxing to do, but  you get through it.   Make sure you have at least a week left for activation in case you have to do faxing etc.
  >
  > --
  > Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]
  > --------------------------------------
  > Please do not respond directly to me, but only post in the newsgroup so all can take advantage

  >   Dear Readers,
  >
  >   I have the oppertunity to buy a NEW / Used DELL PowerEdge SC420 Server with
  >   SBS 2003 Standard Edition pre-installed. This Server was in use for one week
  >   at a computer * company that has gone out of business. I have all the
  >   Software, Manuals etc. from DELL still in the Shrink wrap, all COA's are in
  >   place as well as are all documentation from DELL. I also can have Microsoft
  >   Office 2003 SMB with Business Contact Manager. This server is brand new not
  >   even a bit of dust on any of the fans. My question is, can I re-install this
  >   OS and re-register it to my company where it has been registed to
  >   "Bungie*" as this is the Domain Name when I boot up the server.
  >
  >   Or will I have to buy a new licence? I can get this server for a great deal
  >   as the owner wants to move out west.
  >
  >   Thank you in advance
  >   --
  >   Cheers,
  >
  >   Michael McCrea, MCP, A+, Network+
  >   SoHo Help Desk Computer Services
  >   http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. Move SBS 2003 Standard Data to new SBS 2003 Premium

I have a customer that has purchased new Hardware.  I have successfully
installed SBS 2003 Premium on the new box.  Now, I want to move the current
production data (Mailboxes, SharePoint Sites, and Files) to the new box.

How is this best done?
--
Paul Kerness, MSW, LSW
Genii Research, LLC

2. Need Network Hardware?

3. Buying New Dell Server - Comments Please on Hardware Spec

4. Problems getting mail to work?

5. SBS Exchange 5.5 migration to Windows Server 2003 w/ Exchange 2003 on a new domain

6. Continuus?

7. SBS 2k SP4 + Dell Openmanage + POWEREDGE 1500SC

8. Astra 1200S problem

9. Dell Poweredge / 7890 SCSI Cntlr / SBS install - HELP

10. SBS Dell PowerEdge / Perc2/Raid5

11. Installing SBS on Dell Poweredge 2400

12. SBS won't fully install on a Dell PowerEdge 600SC

13. Dell PowerEdge 2300 and SBS 2000