How do I set up roaming profiles

How do I set up roaming profiles

Post by skc » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 00:11:07



Running SBS2000 with around 30 Win2K clients.

How do I set-up roaming profiles?

Do I need to go to each Windows client and save their
profile to a shared Dir on the SBS...what do i do next..??

Help!

skc

 
 
 

How do I set up roaming profiles

Post by Imer Sat » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 01:57:06


Create a shared folder on the server, e.g., C:\Profiles.
In the Properties for each user, specify the Profile path as
\\whatevertheservernameis\Profiles\whatevertheusernameis

Windows will automatically create the subfolder and store the roaming
profile there. You won't have permissions to access it, so, before deleting
a profile subfolder, you need to take ownership of it first and propagate
your permissions.


Quote:> Running SBS2000 with around 30 Win2K clients.

> How do I set-up roaming profiles?

> Do I need to go to each Windows client and save their
> profile to a shared Dir on the SBS...what do i do next..??

> Help!

> skc


 
 
 

How do I set up roaming profiles

Post by Dave Stoecke » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 02:21:45


As far as permissions...if you want the admin group to have permissions by
default, open AD Users & Computers, go to the OU containing the users -
create a new GPO (or use an existing) and drill down: Computer Configuration
Quote:> Administrative Templates > System > Logon:  enable the "add the

administrators security group to roaming profiles" setting before changing
the user profile properties.
DS


> Create a shared folder on the server, e.g., C:\Profiles.
> In the Properties for each user, specify the Profile path as
> \\whatevertheservernameis\Profiles\whatevertheusernameis

> Windows will automatically create the subfolder and store the roaming
> profile there. You won't have permissions to access it, so, before
deleting
> a profile subfolder, you need to take ownership of it first and propagate
> your permissions.



> > Running SBS2000 with around 30 Win2K clients.

> > How do I set-up roaming profiles?

> > Do I need to go to each Windows client and save their
> > profile to a shared Dir on the SBS...what do i do next..??

> > Help!

> > skc

 
 
 

How do I set up roaming profiles

Post by Mark Mancin » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:09:39


\\server\profiles\%username% is the variable so you only have to setup 1
user and copy it for the rest.

--
Sincerely,
Mark Mancini, CCA, CCNA, Master CIW&CI, CNE 4&5, MCSE+I 4&2000
www.MCSE2000.com
www.AppLauncher.com


> Create a shared folder on the server, e.g., C:\Profiles.
> In the Properties for each user, specify the Profile path as
> \\whatevertheservernameis\Profiles\whatevertheusernameis

> Windows will automatically create the subfolder and store the roaming
> profile there. You won't have permissions to access it, so, before
deleting
> a profile subfolder, you need to take ownership of it first and propagate
> your permissions.



> > Running SBS2000 with around 30 Win2K clients.

> > How do I set-up roaming profiles?

> > Do I need to go to each Windows client and save their
> > profile to a shared Dir on the SBS...what do i do next..??

> > Help!

> > skc

 
 
 

How do I set up roaming profiles

Post by Mal Osborn » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 13:13:49


f you are new to roaming profiles, proceed with caution.  Roaming profiles
have problems with any software differances on workstations, sometimes
little things, like differing versions of Outlook can cause huge issues.
IMHO roaming profiles only make sense if your workstations are identical.

Mal Osborne


Quote:> Running SBS2000 with around 30 Win2K clients.

> How do I set-up roaming profiles?

> Do I need to go to each Windows client and save their
> profile to a shared Dir on the SBS...what do i do next..??

> Help!

> skc

 
 
 

How do I set up roaming profiles

Post by skc » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 16:13:13


i tried setting up \\server\profiles\<username> for
myself...here is what I did:

1. made a share on the server called profiles
2. on client (my machine), System...Profiles, copy
to...browsed to the network using UNC and copied my
profile to \\server\profiles\<my_username>
3. After all was completed, I checked on the
server...nothing was posted into the subdir <my_username>

Help!!!

skc

>-----Original Message-----
>\\server\profiles\%username% is the variable so you only
have to setup 1
>user and copy it for the rest.

>--
>Sincerely,
>Mark Mancini, CCA, CCNA, Master CIW&CI, CNE 4&5, MCSE+I
4&2000
>www.MCSE2000.com
>www.AppLauncher.com



>> Create a shared folder on the server, e.g., C:\Profiles.
>> In the Properties for each user, specify the Profile
path as
>> \\whatevertheservernameis\Profiles\whatevertheusernameis

>> Windows will automatically create the subfolder and
store the roaming
>> profile there. You won't have permissions to access it,
so, before
>deleting
>> a profile subfolder, you need to take ownership of it
first and propagate
>> your permissions.



>> > Running SBS2000 with around 30 Win2K clients.

>> > How do I set-up roaming profiles?

>> > Do I need to go to each Windows client and save their
>> > profile to a shared Dir on the SBS...what do i do
next..??

>> > Help!

>> > skc

>.

 
 
 

How do I set up roaming profiles

Post by skc » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 16:14:44


Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>As far as permissions...if you want the admin group to
have permissions by
>default, open AD Users & Computers, go to the OU

containing the users -

Quote:>create a new GPO (or use an existing) and drill down:

sorry...im new to this...what is a GPO?

Computer Configuration

Quote:>> Administrative Templates > System > Logon:  enable
the "add the
>administrators security group to roaming profiles"

setting before changing

Quote:>the user profile properties.

See my posting for Mark below...I cannot seem to copy my
profile over to the shared dir on the server.

>DS



>> Create a shared folder on the server, e.g., C:\Profiles.
>> In the Properties for each user, specify the Profile
path as
>> \\whatevertheservernameis\Profiles\whatevertheusernameis

>> Windows will automatically create the subfolder and
store the roaming
>> profile there. You won't have permissions to access it,
so, before
>deleting
>> a profile subfolder, you need to take ownership of it
first and propagate
>> your permissions.



>> > Running SBS2000 with around 30 Win2K clients.

>> > How do I set-up roaming profiles?

>> > Do I need to go to each Windows client and save their
>> > profile to a shared Dir on the SBS...what do i do
next..??

>> > Help!

>> > skc

>.

 
 
 

How do I set up roaming profiles

Post by skc » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 16:17:34


Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Create a shared folder on the server, e.g., C:\Profiles.
>In the Properties for each user, specify the Profile path
as
>\\whatevertheservernameis\Profiles\whatevertheusernameis

yes..i did that

Quote:>Windows will automatically create the subfolder and store
the roaming
>profile there.

No...windows has not stored the roaming profile there...it
did create the subfolder.

You won't have permissions to access it, so, before
deleting

Quote:>a profile subfolder, you need to take ownership of it
first and propagate
>your permissions.

I checked on the server..the subfolder for
\\server\profiles\<my_username_in_AD>, my subfolder has
ownership to be me.  



>> Running SBS2000 with around 30 Win2K clients.

>> How do I set-up roaming profiles?

>> Do I need to go to each Windows client and save their
>> profile to a shared Dir on the SBS...what do i do
next..??

>> Help!

>> skc

>.

 
 
 

How do I set up roaming profiles

Post by jimbehn.. » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 21:11:59


I create the folder profiles and I share it. The profiles get written
when they close the workstation, or maybe they update when the user
closes their workstation login. Note that if you log into multiple
workstations, the last login to logoff sets the final roaming profile.
Some people get mad at this because they think their changes are not
sticking.


>>-----Original Message-----
>>Create a shared folder on the server, e.g., C:\Profiles.
>>In the Properties for each user, specify the Profile path
>as
>>\\whatevertheservernameis\Profiles\whatevertheusernameis

>yes..i did that

>>Windows will automatically create the subfolder and store
>the roaming
>>profile there.

>No...windows has not stored the roaming profile there...it
>did create the subfolder.

>You won't have permissions to access it, so, before
>deleting
>>a profile subfolder, you need to take ownership of it
>first and propagate
>>your permissions.

>I checked on the server..the subfolder for
>\\server\profiles\<my_username_in_AD>, my subfolder has
>ownership to be me.  



>>> Running SBS2000 with around 30 Win2K clients.

>>> How do I set-up roaming profiles?

>>> Do I need to go to each Windows client and save their
>>> profile to a shared Dir on the SBS...what do i do
>next..??

>>> Help!

>>> skc

>>.

Jim B.
 
 
 

How do I set up roaming profiles

Post by Dave Stoecke » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 02:29:20


GPO = Group Policy Object
Your profile should copy itself over when you log off...

Suggest you read all you can on the MS site about Roaming Profiles and
Folder Redirection, as pertains to the operating systems you are
using...it's a big subject.


> >-----Original Message-----
> >As far as permissions...if you want the admin group to
> have permissions by
> >default, open AD Users & Computers, go to the OU
> containing the users -
> >create a new GPO (or use an existing) and drill down:

> sorry...im new to this...what is a GPO?

> Computer Configuration
> >> Administrative Templates > System > Logon:  enable
> the "add the
> >administrators security group to roaming profiles"
> setting before changing
> >the user profile properties.

> See my posting for Mark below...I cannot seem to copy my
> profile over to the shared dir on the server.

> >DS



> >> Create a shared folder on the server, e.g., C:\Profiles.
> >> In the Properties for each user, specify the Profile
> path as
> >> \\whatevertheservernameis\Profiles\whatevertheusernameis

> >> Windows will automatically create the subfolder and
> store the roaming
> >> profile there. You won't have permissions to access it,
> so, before
> >deleting
> >> a profile subfolder, you need to take ownership of it
> first and propagate
> >> your permissions.



> >> > Running SBS2000 with around 30 Win2K clients.

> >> > How do I set-up roaming profiles?

> >> > Do I need to go to each Windows client and save their
> >> > profile to a shared Dir on the SBS...what do i do
> next..??

> >> > Help!

> >> > skc

> >.