Switching domain logins on Win XP computer from a SBS 4.5 server to a SBS 2003 one

Switching domain logins on Win XP computer from a SBS 4.5 server to a SBS 2003 one

Post by harry.man.. » Wed, 19 Jul 2006 03:24:09

We are on the verge of migrating from Small Business Server 4.5 to
Small Business Server 2003. The new server and accounts are all setup.
Both servers (the old 4.5 and the new 2003) exist on the network with
unique domain names for now so I can test without disrupting others.

To test if individual workstations get changed without problems, we
want to be able to have the ability to log into either domain at
signup. With the few Windows 98 SE computers we have left, this is
easy, you can change the domain name and type in whatever you want at
login and I can easily test them.

But with the Windows XP Pro computers, it is much more complicated it
seems. At logon, you have the option of logging into ''ComputerName
(this computer)'' where 'ComputerName' would be replaced with the name
for the computer or to a single domain.

When I do the XP process of adding the computer to a new domain, after
the reboot, I only have the option of ''this computer'' or the new
domain, not the old domain anymore. So when my test is done, to have it
re-link back to the old domain, I have to go through the whole process
all over again.

Besides being a chore to go back and forth like this, it has proven a
bit dangerous. On one computer I tried it on a couple of times, there
eventually was an error generated when trying to connect to the new
domain for a 2nd test. After that, the computer refused to log into
anything (even into just itself, insisted on a password for
Administrator even though one wasn't required for it before) and we
eventually had to get the data off this computer's C: drive (we were
able to) and then do a reformat/reinstall of Win XP since we couldn't
log in. On another computer after doing this a couple of times, it
wouldn't boot anymore because it said that HAL.DLL became corrupted. I
was able to fix this with Recovery Console, but it was rather onerous.

So I have two questions:

1) Is there any way to make the XP computers so I can choose at logon
one or the other domain?

2) Why would problems like the HAL.DLL issue occur? Is it bad to keep
joining back and forth between 2 domains (we wouldn't do this once the
new server is "live" but I don't want to just change all the
workstations one night and if there are immediate unforeseen problems
the next morning people can't work for awhile because it is long and
problematic to "go back")?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Switching domain logins on Win XP computer from a SBS 4.5 server to a SBS 2003 one

Post by SBS-MV » Wed, 19 Jul 2006 03:33:43

You should not be going back and forth
You also could have saved yourself probably considerable effort by looking at sbsmigration.com

When you reboot the xp pro after disjoining the old domain, you should logon to "This computer".

Then start internet explorer on the workstation and type
http://servername/connectcomputer to join it to the new domain.

Once a production machine is joined to the new domain, it should not go back

--
Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]
--------------------------------------
[...]

Post by harry.man.. » Wed, 19 Jul 2006 23:10:35

Thanks.  sbsmigration.com looks interesting, maybe we'll just "start
over" with them.  The reason I am doing all this back and forth is that
initially we were going to just re-point all the workstations to the
new domain, but as I said two of them had the issues I mentioned
earlier and others logged into the new domain extremely slowly (a
totally separate issue) so we're trying to avoid where people have
problems enormous enough on the first day of the new server that we
have to go back to the old one until we work them out, that's why the
back and forth testing.

Thanks again for your reply.  Any other advice you can give will be
much appreciated.

Cris Hanna (SBS-MVP) wrote:
> [...]

> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Then start internet explorer on the workstation and
> type</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><A
> href="http://servername/connectcomputer">http://servername/connectcomputer</A>
> to join it to the new domain.</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Once a production machine is joined to the new
> domain, it should not go back</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><BR>-- <BR>Cris Hanna
> [SBS-MVP]<BR>--------------------------------------<BR>Please do not respond
> directly to me, but only post in the newsgroup so all can take advantage</DIV>
> <BLOCKQUOTE
> style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

We">news:1153160649.110715.70740@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com">news:1153160649.110715.70740@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
We
>   are on the verge of migrating from Small Business Server 4.5 to<BR>Small
>   Business Server 2003. The new server and accounts are all setup.<BR>Both
>   servers (the old 4.5 and the new 2003) exist on the network with<BR>unique
>   domain names for now so I can test without disrupting others.<BR><BR>To test
>   if individual workstations get changed without problems, we<BR>want to be able
>   to have the ability to log into either domain at<BR>signup. With the few
>   Windows 98 SE computers we have left, this is<BR>easy, you can change the
>   domain name and type in whatever you want at<BR>login and I can easily test
>   them.<BR><BR>But with the Windows XP Pro computers, it is much more
>   complicated it<BR>seems. At logon, you have the option of logging into
>   ''ComputerName<BR>(this computer)'' where 'ComputerName' would be replaced
>   with the name<BR>for the computer or to a single domain.<BR><BR>When I do the
>   XP process of adding the computer to a new domain, after<BR>the reboot, I only
>   have the option of ''this computer'' or the new<BR>domain, not the old domain
>   anymore. So when my test is done, to have it<BR>re-link back to the old
>   domain, I have to go through the whole process<BR>all over
>   again.<BR><BR>Besides being a chore to go back and forth like this, it has
>   proven a<BR>bit dangerous. On one computer I tried it on a couple of times,
>   there<BR>eventually was an error generated when trying to connect to the
>   new<BR>domain for a 2nd test. After that, the computer refused to log
>   into<BR>anything (even into just itself, insisted on a password
>   for<BR>Administrator even though one wasn't required for it before) and
>   we<BR>eventually had to get the data off this computer's C: drive (we
>   were<BR>able to) and then do a reformat/reinstall of Win XP since we
>   couldn't<BR>log in. On another computer after doing this a couple of times,
>   it<BR>wouldn't boot anymore because it said that HAL.DLL became corrupted.
>   I<BR>was able to fix this with Recovery Console, but it was rather
>   onerous.<BR><BR>So I have two questions:<BR><BR>1) Is there any way to make
>   the XP computers so I can choose at logon<BR>one or the other
>   domain?<BR><BR>2) Why would problems like the HAL.DLL issue occur? Is it bad
>   to keep<BR>joining back and forth between 2 domains (we wouldn't do this once
>   the<BR>new server is "live" but I don't want to just change all
>   the<BR>workstations one night and if there are immediate unforeseen
>   problems<BR>the next morning people can't work for awhile because it is long
>   and<BR>problematic to "go back")?<BR><BR>Any help would be much appreciated,
>   thanks.<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

> ------=_NextPart_000_0029_01C6A9A5.9F565110--

Top

1. SBS 4.5 - Exchange 5.5 to SBS 2003 Exchange 2003 upgrade

SBS 4.5 - Exchange 5.5 SP4
SBS 2003 - Exchange 2003

I am installing a new SBS 2003 Server and following Microsofts SBS
4.0/4.5 -> SBS 2003 migration guide. On the whole it seems to be working
quite well, however when it comes to the stage whereby I want to import the
Exchange 5.5. database it all stops. I am getting a problem where I get an
error message "Invalid Server Specified or you do not have the required
permissions required to complete the operation", this is reported as Event
7048 in the logs. The closest I can get to this in the MS KB is Q318379,
which talks about a non valid character in the name. As far as I can see
this is not the case.
I have seen a number of reports of this problem and solving them by setting
up Trusts between machines. Obviously this cant happen in SBS, so does
anyone have any ideas about what permissions are required here?

I am running using the Built-In Administrator ID on both machines, both have
the same password. As per the MS document the Machine names, and Internal
DNS names are different

I have tried hunting down all the service for Exchage 2003 that is out there
all to no avail. The MIgration Wizard basicaly wont do its thing. I am at a
loss as to how to resolve the problem.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,
Paul

2. Installing Win2000 from hard drive questions.

3. Adding Win 2003 Server as BCD in SBS 4.5

4. HELP HELP!

5. Windows 2003 as Domain Controller, SBS 4.5 as Exchange server

6. CONNECT IT - Cable Management Software

7. Migrating SBS 4.5 Domain to Windows 2003 Server.

8. SBS Exchange 5.5 migration to Windows Server 2003 w/ Exchange 2003 on a new domain

9. MS Proxy Server 2 client for Win XP on SBS 4.5 server

10. migrate from SBS 4.5 to SBS 2003 on a new server ?

11. SBS 4.5 upgrade to SBS 2003 and a second WIN2K server

12. Adding XP Home Client Computers to SBS 2003 Network