VPN - occasional loss of network browsing

VPN - occasional loss of network browsing

Post by John Chapma » Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:10:43

Hi

Using SBS 4.5 with standard two NIC broadband solution with RAS/PPTP
installed. Occasionally a VPN client will be able to connect but not browse
the network. The client does have access to the network using the IP address
instead of server name (e.g. \\10.0.0.2\company). Is this a WINS problem and
why does it only occur intermittently? Once the problem has occurred it can
only be resolved by re-booting the server.

As far as I can see the binding order is correct but I have not checked all
services.

Any help would be much appreciated as I can't find any configuration errors.

Regards

John

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Tue, 26 Oct 2004 21:52:38

> Hi

> Using SBS 4.5 with standard two NIC broadband solution with RAS/PPTP
> installed. Occasionally a VPN client will be able to connect but not
> browse the network. The client does have access to the network using
> the IP address instead of server name (e.g. \\10.0.0.2\company). Is
> this a WINS problem and why does it only occur intermittently? Once
> the problem has occurred it can only be resolved by re-booting the
> server.

Does the VPN client get registered in the WINS database?
Quote:

> As far as I can see the binding order is correct but I have not
> checked all services.

> Any help would be much appreciated as I can't find any configuration
> errors.

> Regards

> John

VPN - occasional loss of network browsing

Post by John Chapma » Tue, 26 Oct 2004 23:30:00

Hi

Thanks for the speedy response.

This is one area of SBS I'm not very familar with. When I run WINS Manager,
it identifies the physical server, but states that no WINS Server is
running. That does appear to be the case, no WINS service appears in
'services' although the WINS.MDB file is present in its normal place.

The SBS 4.5 is configured more or less to its defaults. Does it use LMHOSTS
instead?

Regards

John

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Wed, 27 Oct 2004 07:56:52

> Hi

> Thanks for the speedy response.

> This is one area of SBS I'm not very familar with. When I run WINS
> Manager, it identifies the physical server, but states that no WINS
> Server is running. That does appear to be the case, no WINS service
> appears in 'services' although the WINS.MDB file is present in its
> normal place.

You need to install WINS if you didn't already...

Quote:

> The SBS 4.5 is configured more or less to its defaults. Does it use
> LMHOSTS instead?

No...

> Regards

> John

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

>>> Hi

>>> Using SBS 4.5 with standard two NIC broadband solution with RAS/PPTP
>>> installed. Occasionally a VPN client will be able to connect but not
>>> browse the network. The client does have access to the network using
>>> the IP address instead of server name (e.g. \\10.0.0.2\company). Is
>>> this a WINS problem and why does it only occur intermittently? Once
>>> the problem has occurred it can only be resolved by re-booting the
>>> server.

>> Does the VPN client get registered in the WINS database?

>>> As far as I can see the binding order is correct but I have not
>>> checked all services.

>>> Any help would be much appreciated as I can't find any configuration
>>> errors.

>>> Regards

>>> John

1. SBS 4.5 and Remote VPN Client Network Browsing Using VPN and RRAS

Hi Everybody,

    I've just finished reading Microsoft Knowledge base article Q191611.
This document seems to pretty much flat out say that the Primary Domain
Controller (PDC) cannot be multihomed if a single domain-wide list of
computers on the local lan is desired (it is). The SBS 4.5 Server has to be
the PDC of my lan right? Also, since you can't separate server components
with SBS, Proxy 2.0 has to be running on the SBS Server with the 2 nic's
installed (one for DSL modem and 1 for local lan) right? Does this mean that
my remote VPN Client's will never be able to browse the computers connected
to the local lan/domain?

    I ask this because currently if I log in to my SBS Server using VPN I am
not able to see any of the machines on the local lan from my remote Network
Neighborhood. I "Usually" can do a "Find Computer" and access one of the
local machines via it's IP address (although this sometimes fails as well).
Is this just the way it's got to be with SBS? Or should I be able to
configure my SBS Server (which is the PDC on my lan) to allow remote VPN
clients to Browse the network machines using Network Neighborhood? In case
it's not obvious I am using SBS 4.5 with RRAS on a multihomed server (1 nic
for DSL modem, 1 for lan). Thanks in advance for any comments (helpful ones
that is :).

Tim

2. Warp

3. Cannot browse Network Resources in VPN connection...

4. network time logger for cable modems.

5. VPN: Can't browse onto network

6. facilities departments ?

7. VPN connects...but I cant browse the network.

8. VPN clients cannot browse network

9. VPN: can't browse internal peer network

10. VPN and network browsing

11. VPN connects but can't browse network

12. Browsing network drives very slow using VPN