Diff. MS BO SBS 4.5 FULL and MS BO SBS 4.5 Competitive Upgrade

Diff. MS BO SBS 4.5 FULL and MS BO SBS 4.5 Competitive Upgrade

Post by Robert Goere » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Is their a difference in packaging between MS BO SBS 4.5 FULL and MS BO SBS
4.5 Competitive Upgrade.

regards
Robert

Diff. MS BO SBS 4.5 FULL and MS BO SBS 4.5 Competitive Upgrade

Post by Cris Hanna, BS, MCP, MV » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Not sure what you mean by packaging
Both products contain basically the same product

--
Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
SBS-MVP

>Is their a difference in packaging between MS BO SBS 4.5 FULL and MS BO SBS
>4.5 Competitive Upgrade.

>regards
>Robert

Diff. MS BO SBS 4.5 FULL and MS BO SBS 4.5 Competitive Upgrade

Post by Jonathan Wilshuse » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm not sure about SBS but a lot of MS's Comp upgrades look for a qualifying
product, like Novel for example as the Competitive product for SBS.

Jon

> Not sure what you mean by packaging
> Both products contain basically the same product

> --
> Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
> SBS-MVP

> >Is their a difference in packaging between MS BO SBS 4.5 FULL and MS BO
SBS
> >4.5 Competitive Upgrade.

> >regards
> >Robert

Diff. MS BO SBS 4.5 FULL and MS BO SBS 4.5 Competitive Upgrade

Post by Jonathan Wilshuse » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Here is some info I got from http://www.necx.com about the SBS Upgrade
Version.

Provide your small business with a network solution that is easy to install,
manage and use. Designed specifically to address the needs of companies with
50 or fewer workstations, Microsoft BackOffice Small Business Server 4.5
(competitive/version upgrade) helps you manage relationships and information
more efficiently and streamline operations.

Use the Small Business Server to communicate via the Internet and
interoffice e-mail, solicit business electronically and put your business on
the Internet to engage your customers. Microsoft Internet Information Server
4.0 is tightly integrated to deliver Internet and intranet server
capabilities, giving small businesses the tools they need for creating
powerful Web sites.

Small Business Server incorporates the applications SQL Server 7.0 and
Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 to get your business organized and connected.
SQL Server provides a powerful, secure relational database for running
business applications while Exchange Server gives you the solution for
Internet mail and collaboration. Plus, Outlook 2000 aids in managing your
information, such as messages, appointments, contacts and tasks.
Additionally, Small Business Server provides Web specific applications.
Proxy Server 2.0 provides a high-performance, secure gateway to the
Internet. And you can create and manage Web sites without programming by
using FrontPage 98.

With Small Business Server you can automate repetitive tasks and share
hardware to make the most of your technology investment. It allows your
business to share modems installed on the server, which eliminates the need
for every workstation to have an individual modem.

Version 4.5 features an improved flexible server setup. It offers prompts
during the setup process to insure key drives such as modems, RAID and SCSI
controllers are detected and ensures that you have the driver properly
installed. The set up computer wizard helps you connect a workstation
running Windows 95, 98 or NT to Small Business Server. And the connection
wizard configures SBS for automatic or manual setup with an Internet Service
Provider.

The products qualified for this upgrade include:
* Microsoft Windows NT Server version 3.x or 4.x
* Microsoft LAN Manager
* Novell NetWare
* Novell IntranetWare
* Novell NetWare for Small Business
* IBM LAN Server
* Digital Equipment Corporation
* PATHWORKS
* Artisoft LANtastic
* Lotus Domino Intranet Starter Pack
* The following UNIX network operating systems: SCO Xenix, UNIX, OpenServer,
or UnixWare; Sun Microsystems Solaris, Solaris X86, or SunOS;
Hewlett-Packard HP-UX; IBM AIX; Digital Equipment Corporation Ultrix, OSF/1,
or UNIX; SGI Irix

> I'm not sure about SBS but a lot of MS's Comp upgrades look for a
qualifying
> product, like Novel for example as the Competitive product for SBS.

> Jon

> > Not sure what you mean by packaging
> > Both products contain basically the same product

> > --
> > Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
> > SBS-MVP

> > >Is their a difference in packaging between MS BO SBS 4.5 FULL and MS BO
> SBS
> > >4.5 Competitive Upgrade.

> > >regards
> > >Robert

Diff. MS BO SBS 4.5 FULL and MS BO SBS 4.5 Competitive Upgrade

Post by Michel Bordeleau - SBS-MV » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

They are exactly the same in that they contain the exact same products and
both require a fresh install.  The only difference is the price and the fact
that the competitive upgrade will ask you for proof of ownership of one of
the competing products.  Some competitive upgrades ask for physical proof,
in that you need to insert the first disk of the product when asked, while
others just rely on your honesty.  I'm not sure about SBS4.5 though, but if
you have one of the qualifying products then you definitely should get the
competitive upgrade.  If you don't, then you'll need to get the full
version.

--

Michel Bordeleau (MVP-SBS, ClubWin Team4 Captain)
IS Manager

http://www.hit-teleservice.com
(514) 932-3232

Quote:> Is their a difference in packaging between MS BO SBS 4.5 FULL and MS BO
SBS
> 4.5 Competitive Upgrade.

> regards
> Robert

Diff. MS BO SBS 4.5 FULL and MS BO SBS 4.5 Competitive Upgrade

Post by Larry Struckmeye » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello Robert:

I am not exactly sure of the numbers, but the price differential drops as you
add users.  That is to say if you have only 5 user version the upgrade package
is a good deal.  But if you have 50 users, the upgrade plus all the bump packs,
plus all the agro of installing them, plus having to get new passwords if you
should ever have to reinstall them is a pain.

If you qualify for the upgrade, you will have to judge for yourself at what
level it makes sense for you.

Regards:

Larry Struckmeyer

> Is their a difference in packaging between MS BO SBS 4.5 FULL and MS BO SBS
> 4.5 Competitive Upgrade.

> regards
> Robert

Diff. MS BO SBS 4.5 FULL and MS BO SBS 4.5 Competitive Upgrade

Post by searchw.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

SBS 4.5 Competitive Upgrade does not ask you to install the first disk
of any competing product. At least, not with Novell Netware. The
install I just did was a competitive upgrade of Novell and it has even
allowed us to dual boot into Novell. I suspect it may have done some
checking.

Alan Searchwell

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/