SBS 4.5 -> SBS 2000 - Testing Full System Restore Before Upgrade

SBS 4.5 -> SBS 2000 - Testing Full System Restore Before Upgrade

Post by Mark » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 08:17:17

Hi All,

It's been a while since I visited this newsgroup. Last time was when I was
upgrading SBS 4 to SBS 4.5 many years ago, where I used the fool-proof
strategies generously supplied by Jeff Middleton (who I affectionately refer
to as Yoda, SBS Jedi Master) to make sure I didn't go anywhere I didn't want
to be. I know see that Jeff's guidance has spawned a new league of SBS
Jedi's to assist us IT amateurs. I hope you can help me!

Thanks to Upgrade Advantage and the July 31 deadline, i'm ready to make the
transition to SBS 2000.

Something that has always concerned me is that I have never attempted a full
system restore with our Backup Exec software. I guess the lack of identical
server hardware to play on, and the fear of it actually not working properly
if attempted on the live server has kept this task at the bottom of my list.

Are there any documented procedures floating around for ensuring I have
something to quickly fall back on if I encounter problems with the upgrade?
Or better still, easy ways to test a tape restore without overwriting your
known working drives?

SBS is currently running on a Dell Poweredge 2400 with 4 x 18GB drives in
raid 5. 25 Cals and about 22 users.

I was thinking of is just buying a 40 or 60GB IDE drive (Or a mirrored
pair), partitioning it the same as the raid array, restoring the latest
backup to those partitions on the IDE drive, then just yanking the SCSI
drives, change the NT boot.ini file on the IDE drive to get SBS to boot off
the IDE drive and make certain the system works normally.

The next step would be to reconnect and run the upgrade on the raid array,
and if I encounter problems that I can't fix in the same weekend, copy the
IDE drive back to the raid array and try again the next weekend. Sounds like
fun. :-)

So, is this procedure documented/recommended? Or are there similar
alternates that provide me with a quick way to turn back time should I
encounter major problems with the upgrade?

Thanks in advance

Mark

SBS 4.5 -> SBS 2000 - Testing Full System Restore Before Upgrade

Post by Simo » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 08:24:18

Drive Image from powerquest works a treat.
I recently upgraded from single cpu to quad cpu but during the process
installed the wrong hal file...doh!
Luckily I had taken a snapshot of the OS partition and was up and running
within minutes to try again.

Simon

Quote:> Hi All,

> It's been a while since I visited this newsgroup. Last time was when I was
> upgrading SBS 4 to SBS 4.5 many years ago, where I used the fool-proof
> strategies generously supplied by Jeff Middleton (who I affectionately
refer
> to as Yoda, SBS Jedi Master) to make sure I didn't go anywhere I didn't
want
> to be. I know see that Jeff's guidance has spawned a new league of SBS
> Jedi's to assist us IT amateurs. I hope you can help me!

> Thanks to Upgrade Advantage and the July 31 deadline, i'm ready to make
the
> transition to SBS 2000.

> Something that has always concerned me is that I have never attempted a
full
> system restore with our Backup Exec software. I guess the lack of
identical
> server hardware to play on, and the fear of it actually not working
properly
> if attempted on the live server has kept this task at the bottom of my
list.

> Are there any documented procedures floating around for ensuring I have
> something to quickly fall back on if I encounter problems with the
upgrade?
> Or better still, easy ways to test a tape restore without overwriting your
> known working drives?

> SBS is currently running on a Dell Poweredge 2400 with 4 x 18GB drives in
> raid 5. 25 Cals and about 22 users.

> I was thinking of is just buying a 40 or 60GB IDE drive (Or a mirrored
> pair), partitioning it the same as the raid array, restoring the latest
> backup to those partitions on the IDE drive, then just yanking the SCSI
> drives, change the NT boot.ini file on the IDE drive to get SBS to boot
off
> the IDE drive and make certain the system works normally.

> The next step would be to reconnect and run the upgrade on the raid array,
> and if I encounter problems that I can't fix in the same weekend, copy the
> IDE drive back to the raid array and try again the next weekend. Sounds
like
> fun. :-)

> So, is this procedure documented/recommended? Or are there similar
> alternates that provide me with a quick way to turn back time should I
> encounter major problems with the upgrade?

> Thanks in advance

> Mark

SBS 4.5 -> SBS 2000 - Testing Full System Restore Before Upgrade

Post by Mark » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 09:46:18

I have also heard good things about PQ Drive Image.

I also recall years ago that Jeff didn't endorese the use of drive imaging
when it came to relying on it as a backup of the server. But maybe imaging
software is better these days?

> [...]

> > drives, change the NT boot.ini file on the IDE drive to get SBS to boot
> off
> > the IDE drive and make certain the system works normally.

> > The next step would be to reconnect and run the upgrade on the raid
array,
> > and if I encounter problems that I can't fix in the same weekend, copy
the
> > IDE drive back to the raid array and try again the next weekend. Sounds
> like
> > fun. :-)

> > So, is this procedure documented/recommended? Or are there similar
> > alternates that provide me with a quick way to turn back time should I
> > encounter major problems with the upgrade?

> > Thanks in advance

> > Mark

SBS 4.5 -> SBS 2000 - Testing Full System Restore Before Upgrade

Post by Steve Foster [SBS MVP » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 20:40:31

Jeff is *far* too tall to be Yoda... :)

Drive imaging software is likely to be much faster than attempting the
backup/restore approach.

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
---------------------------------------

> Hi All,

> It's been a while since I visited this newsgroup. Last time was when
> I was upgrading SBS 4 to SBS 4.5 many years ago, where I used the
> fool-proof strategies generously supplied by Jeff Middleton (who I
> affectionately refer to as Yoda, SBS Jedi Master) to make sure I
> didn't go anywhere I didn't want to be. I know see that Jeff's
> guidance has spawned a new league of SBS Jedi's to assist us IT
> amateurs. I hope you can help me!

> Thanks to Upgrade Advantage and the July 31 deadline, i'm ready to
> make the transition to SBS 2000.

> Something that has always concerned me is that I have never attempted
> a full system restore with our Backup Exec software. I guess the lack
> of identical server hardware to play on, and the fear of it actually
> not working properly if attempted on the live server has kept this
> task at the bottom of my list.

> Are there any documented procedures floating around for ensuring I
> have something to quickly fall back on if I encounter problems with
> the upgrade? Or better still, easy ways to test a tape restore
> without overwriting your known working drives?

> SBS is currently running on a Dell Poweredge 2400 with 4 x 18GB
> drives in raid 5. 25 Cals and about 22 users.

> I was thinking of is just buying a 40 or 60GB IDE drive (Or a mirrored
> pair), partitioning it the same as the raid array, restoring the
> latest backup to those partitions on the IDE drive, then just yanking
> the SCSI drives, change the NT boot.ini file on the IDE drive to get
> SBS to boot off the IDE drive and make certain the system works
> normally.

> The next step would be to reconnect and run the upgrade on the raid
> array, and if I encounter problems that I can't fix in the same
> weekend, copy the IDE drive back to the raid array and try again the
> next weekend. Sounds like fun. :-)

> So, is this procedure documented/recommended? Or are there similar
> alternates that provide me with a quick way to turn back time should I
> encounter major problems with the upgrade?

> Thanks in advance

> Mark

SBS 4.5 -> SBS 2000 - Testing Full System Restore Before Upgrade

Post by SuperGumb » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 00:30:09

grab a workstation.
install SBS.
backup.
blow it away.
recover.
document.
post result to group.

or wait until I do similarly, we have a box set up for this, but we're going
to use it for another task (again) this weekend. I progressed one step this
afternoon by actually attaching the tape drive.

1. Upgrading from SBS 4.5 to full Windows 2000/Exchange 2000???

Currently running SBS 4.5 with 45 client licenses.  Looking to purchase new server hardware
and upgrade to 2000 version products.  Since user license is almost at 50, I'd like to go to full
versions of Windows 2000 Server and Exchange 2000 - don't currently use ISA server, SQL
or Fax.

Microsoft Open Licensing is telling me I need to purchase all new licenses from scratch which
seems kind of crazy (and expensive).

There seems to be a reasonably priced upgrade from SBS 4.5 to SBS 2000, and then a
Migration Pack to go to full versions of 2000.  However, I really want to do a clean install
and not go through hoops to try and migrate everything over.  Also, I can't seem to find a
part number or price on the Migration Pack anywhere..

Anyone have any recommendations, licensing wise?

Any pushes in the right direction would be appreciated.  :)

2. TI C++ compiler

3. License key problem during SBS 4.5 --> SBS 2000 upgrade

4. internet mail and windows messaging

5. Inplace Upgrade Win SBS 4.5 -> Win SBS 2000

6. PC-Pine: Delivery Notification and Bounced Mail??

7. Upgrade SBS 4.5 -> SBS 2000

8. ! FS HP 95/100/200 LX Original Serial to Parallel printer cable.

9. License key problem during SBS 4.5 --> SBS 2000 upgrade

10. SBS 4.5 --> SBS 2000 upgrade-License key problem

11. Diff. MS BO SBS 4.5 FULL and MS BO SBS 4.5 Competitive Upgrade

12. Upgrade SBS 2000 trial to SBS 2000 full version

13. How to upgrade SBS 4.5 to full version of Windows 2000