RAS suddenly stop working for selected users ??

RAS suddenly stop working for selected users ??

Post by James Perrin » Sat, 23 Dec 2000 04:44:28

We have been RASing into our server successfully for a while - all of a
sudden a user complains that if she dials in from her 95 machine - it
connects OK (as it always used to) but now it won't allow her to see the
server or sync outlook etc.

If I start the RAS connection using my username + pwd on HER machine all is
OK - she can see the network - even sync HER outlook !

As far as I know no permissions have been changed - there seem to be a
couple of users who used to be able to RAS - but now can't - they bothe
connect OK - can go no further !

I wasn't aware of any settings other than the user/pwd which is the same for
the network logon as for the RAS connection (incidentally her laptop works
fine when connected to the network via LAN)

Only thing that I know to have changed on the server is PPTP was installed -
but I don't see how this effects RAS dial in from the same laptop - one user
works OK - the other connects - but can get no further.

Any suggestions gratefully received !

Thanks
James

RAS suddenly stop working for selected users ??

Post by Marc » Sat, 23 Dec 2000 19:04:58

Hello,

When you say that selected users have this problem, then I guess the problem is not related to the SBS box. Perhaps you can ask this "faulty" user to dial in from a Win95 client that works. What happens then? If this works, the problem is machine related and a remove/reinstall of the Dial-Up networking entry may resolve your problem.

If this does not give you a clue either, you may want to ask a "good" user to dial in at the "faulty" machine. What happens then? So what you need to do is post some detailed test results.
--

Regards,

Marco
MCSE, NT, Exchange

[...]

Post by James Perrin » Sat, 23 Dec 2000 20:48:22

Thanks Marco,

I tried to give this in my original post - but maybe wasn't clear.

The same Win95 client machine works with a "good user" but fails with a "bad user" so it can't be related to the client PC.
The client PC has booted up and logged on as "bad user", but if that userid is used to connect to SBS via dial in - the connection is made - i.e. the user name / pwd have been accepted , but you are unable to ping the server.

Whilst still logged onto the client PC as a "bad user", if you then change the dial up settings to a "good user" all works OK - the "bad user" can even sync exchange whilst dialled up as the "good user"

The "bad user" has no problems conecting to SBS via the LAN.

Literally the only thing that is being changed is the USerId + Pwd in the RAS dial up connection from the client PC (the client PC is NOT being logged onto as a different user) - so I don't see how it can be client related - but equally don't see how it can really be SBS related either ?
All suggestions welcome !

Thanks
James

[...]

Post by Marc » Sat, 23 Dec 2000 21:58:52

Hello,

Well I am not sure what you mean with changing UserID  + Password while being logged on to the SBS box. However, the following KB article will give you some hints how you should set this up from scratch. During troubleshooting, something may have been truncated and/or misconfigured.

Just have a look at the following KB article:
- Q178729 How To Configure Windows 95 to Dial into a RAS/RRAS Server

Note that on the client PC, you should get rid of the *.PWL files that may have been stored.
Note that you also need to set up hardware profiles as discussed in the document.

Truly hope that helps.

--

Regards,

Marco
MCSE, NT, Exchange

[...]

Post by James Perrin » Sun, 24 Dec 2000 00:36:37

Thanks Marco - not sure what the issue really was - but I uninstalled networking from the client - upgraded the RAS DUN and deleted the pwds - and its now working again

[...]

1. POP3 connector suddenly stops working

I have a new client and have inherited a SBS2000
configuration. They use an ISDN for Internet connectivity
and are using the POP3 connector to pickup e-mail from the
ISP. It was working for quite some time and all of a
sudden stopped working. All e-mail remains on the pop
server. SMTP for outgoing mail works fine. Some additional
information to isolate the problem:
- I have configured the Outlook 2000 client on the SBS
server to download the email using the same POP3 account
and it works. So there are no account or accessibility
issues.
- When I start the POP3 connector service it runs. When I
tell it to "retrieve updates now" it runs for about 2
minutes and then stops with the error stating an
unexpected error (sorry I don't have the exact event log
entry)

I have attached an entry from the log file located in
C:\Program Files\Microsoft
BackOffice\Connectivity\POP3 Connector

It occurs right before the POP3 connector service stops.

I plan on applying SP1 tomorrow but any additional
information to point me in the right direction is greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Darryl

  POP3 error message.txt
1K Download

2. Bargain DOS/Linux Modem?

3. Domain logons suddenly stop working

4. coexistence of ntlm / kerberos

5. SWAT suddenly stops working?

6. B2000 M/B rev 4.4 $30.00

7. browsing suddenly stopped working

8. IP, UDP, TCP for the PC: PC/IP where you can get it.

9. SPS Stopped Working Suddenly

10. Site suddenly stopped working - re-boot cleared

11. RAS Modem Dailup to SBS 4.5 Stopped working??

12. Backup Exec Suddenly Stops

13. RAS Errors, Ports open, unable to stop and restart RAS!