SBS2k3 User CALs allow users to have multiple simultaneous connections

SBS2k3 User CALs allow users to have multiple simultaneous connections

Post by bballpinhea » Mon, 10 Jul 2006 06:45:35



I would like to confirm that the statement below is correct.
SBS2k3 User CALs allow users to have multiple simultaneous connections
to
the server from separate devices while only consuming 1 CAL. Having one
user logged into the network simultaneously
on two separate PCs - only a single user CAL is consumed.
 
 
 

SBS2k3 User CALs allow users to have multiple simultaneous connections

Post by SuperGumby [SBS MVP » Mon, 10 Jul 2006 07:03:04


This is correct as long as the PC's, or other devices, are in use by a
single person.

A 'user' CAL is assigned to a person. That person may establish multiple
connections to the server.

Do not confuse this with 'user accounts'. A user CAL would _not_ allow both
Mary and Bob to log on to their workstations using the 'staff' user account.


Quote:>I would like to confirm that the statement below is correct.
> SBS2k3 User CALs allow users to have multiple simultaneous connections
> to
> the server from separate devices while only consuming 1 CAL. Having one
> user logged into the network simultaneously
> on two separate PCs - only a single user CAL is consumed.


 
 
 

SBS2k3 User CALs allow users to have multiple simultaneous connections

Post by bballpinhea » Mon, 10 Jul 2006 07:15:56


What I'm trying to figure out is can i have say 5 pcs logged in as the
same username and password and still be able to access my data on the
server?

> This is correct as long as the PC's, or other devices, are in use by a
> single person.

> A 'user' CAL is assigned to a person. That person may establish multiple
> connections to the server.

> Do not confuse this with 'user accounts'. A user CAL would _not_ allow both
> Mary and Bob to log on to their workstations using the 'staff' user account.



> >I would like to confirm that the statement below is correct.
> > SBS2k3 User CALs allow users to have multiple simultaneous connections
> > to
> > the server from separate devices while only consuming 1 CAL. Having one
> > user logged into the network simultaneously
> > on two separate PCs - only a single user CAL is consumed.

 
 
 

SBS2k3 User CALs allow users to have multiple simultaneous connections

Post by SuperGumby [SBS MVP » Mon, 10 Jul 2006 07:26:33


Yes.

Using 'Device' CALs the five PC's would each require a CAL. Any number of
people could then use these PC's as either the same or individual usernames.
Using 'User' CALs each _person_, regardless of username, requires a CAL. One
person could walk between the five PC's and use them to their heart's
content, 1 CAL. As soon as any other person wants to touch one of the PC's
they also require a 'user' CAL. If five people were using these PC's but all
were logged in using the username 'staff', five user CALs would be required.


> What I'm trying to figure out is can i have say 5 pcs logged in as the
> same username and password and still be able to access my data on the
> server?


>> This is correct as long as the PC's, or other devices, are in use by a
>> single person.

>> A 'user' CAL is assigned to a person. That person may establish multiple
>> connections to the server.

>> Do not confuse this with 'user accounts'. A user CAL would _not_ allow
>> both
>> Mary and Bob to log on to their workstations using the 'staff' user
>> account.



>> >I would like to confirm that the statement below is correct.
>> > SBS2k3 User CALs allow users to have multiple simultaneous connections
>> > to
>> > the server from separate devices while only consuming 1 CAL. Having one
>> > user logged into the network simultaneously
>> > on two separate PCs - only a single user CAL is consumed.

 
 
 

1. File Locking - Btrieve - Multiple Simultaneous Users

Hi All,

I've just spent several hours/days looking for a solution to this problem.
I've found numerous historic posts, to this and other newsgroups, referring
to multiuser file access problems.   I've seen references (among others) to
problems getting multiple users to access Dbase databases, Access databases,
Quickbooks databases and Btrieve databases...which is my particular problem.
I've read many messages; I've seen many similar queries; But, I haven't seen
many answers.  Pervasive Software's web site didn't appear to have many
references to Linux or Samba.

Problem: I have a multiuser Win32 accounting package (Cyma 4), which uses
the peer-to-peer version of the Btrieve database.  I just migrated this
package from a Novell 4.10 server where everything worked fine.  After the
migration, I find that each workstation can login to Cyma 4 individually,
but the next user to try to log in gets a file access error (I've seen
several in my testing).

I have a new, fast Caldera 2.0.36 server.  I've downloaded, compiled an
installed the latest Samba without problems.  I've experimented (slowly and
carefully) with NUMEROUS smb.conf configurations (SWAT is GREAT!).  But
still...no solution.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting methodology or solutions?  Btrieve
anyone?

Thanks in advance,

Gene

2. 3.0 to 4.0 fix for dw print/display

3. Allowing a user to access another user's mailbox.

4. Need help with revolved cut

5. multiple user access to single users calendar? (Exchange)

6. USR's technical people?

7. Multiple connections for the same user

8. Help with backing up hard drive

9. Lock connections for more than 18 simultaneous connections

10. Multiple connections to the same server, different user...

11. Stopping multiple users logging in with the same user name.

12. maximum of User simultaneous ly login

13. How to setup the max simultaneous users?