Migrating SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 Server using Windows NT 4 full version

Migrating SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 Server using Windows NT 4 full version

Post by Atif » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 02:30:30

Hello All,

I have SBS 4.5 and Exchange 5.5 running
I want to upgrade to Windows 2000 domain

I want to migrate SBS Exchange 4.5 on Windows NT 4.0
regular version and Exchange 5.5 regular version and then

Restructure to Windows 2000 domain and Exchange 2000

I would like to borrow a copy of Windows NT 4.0 and
Exchange 5.5 regular versions from my friend for the
purpose of migration and ofcourse it is not lisenced under
my company's name.

Can I use my friends copy of the software?

and if I run into problems with the migration and I call
Microsoft for the Technical support would they help me
resolve the problem even though the windows NT 4 and
Exchange 5.5 (Full versions) are not lisenced under my
company's name?

I don't intend to use the Windows NT 4 & Exchange 5.5
(Full versions) for production only for the migration
purpose.

Thanks

Migrating SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 Server using Windows NT 4 full version

Post by Marina Roo » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 04:58:35

You don't need to borrow Exchange. You can use Exmerge (for version 5.5) to
export all mailboxes and Exmerge (for version 2000) to import them again.

Marina

Quote:> Hello All,

> I have SBS 4.5 and Exchange 5.5 running
> I want to upgrade to Windows 2000 domain

> I want to migrate SBS Exchange 4.5 on Windows NT 4.0
> regular version and Exchange 5.5 regular version and then

> Restructure to Windows 2000 domain and Exchange 2000

> I would like to borrow a copy of Windows NT 4.0 and
> Exchange 5.5 regular versions from my friend for the
> purpose of migration and ofcourse it is not lisenced under
> my company's name.

> Can I use my friends copy of the software?

> and if I run into problems with the migration and I call
> Microsoft for the Technical support would they help me
> resolve the problem even though the windows NT 4 and
> Exchange 5.5 (Full versions) are not lisenced under my
> company's name?

> I don't intend to use the Windows NT 4 & Exchange 5.5
> (Full versions) for production only for the migration
> purpose.

> Thanks

Migrating SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 Server using Windows NT 4 full version

Post by Atif » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 08:54:17

Thats fine.

Would Exmerge move the Users and groups with their SID and
GUIDs as well? because I don't want to assign permissions
all over again.

And what will happen to user profiles and computer
accounts?

I'm sorry if I didn't give you the whole picture. Thanks
for your quick response.
Atif

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>You don't need to borrow Exchange. You can use Exmerge

(for version 5.5) to
>export all mailboxes and Exmerge (for version 2000) to
import them again.

>Marina

>> Hello All,

>> I have SBS 4.5 and Exchange 5.5 running
>> I want to upgrade to Windows 2000 domain

>> I want to migrate SBS Exchange 4.5 on Windows NT 4.0
>> regular version and Exchange 5.5 regular version and
then

>> Restructure to Windows 2000 domain and Exchange 2000

>> I would like to borrow a copy of Windows NT 4.0 and
>> Exchange 5.5 regular versions from my friend for the
>> purpose of migration and ofcourse it is not lisenced
under
>> my company's name.

>> Can I use my friends copy of the software?

>> and if I run into problems with the migration and I call
>> Microsoft for the Technical support would they help me
>> resolve the problem even though the windows NT 4 and
>> Exchange 5.5 (Full versions) are not lisenced under my
>> company's name?

>> I don't intend to use the Windows NT 4 & Exchange 5.5
>> (Full versions) for production only for the migration
>> purpose.

>> Thanks

>.

Migrating SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 Server using Windows NT 4 full version

Post by Marina Roo » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 19:26:21

No, Exmerge doesn't do that. What you could do is install a computer with
NT4 and set it up as a BDC to your NT4-server. After that promote it to PDC,
which will demote your current NT4-server to BDC, install W2K and than
you'll have all the users.

Marina

> Thats fine.

> Would Exmerge move the Users and groups with their SID and
> GUIDs as well? because I don't want to assign permissions
> all over again.

> And what will happen to user profiles and computer
> accounts?

> I'm sorry if I didn't give you the whole picture. Thanks
> for your quick response.
> Atif

Post by SuperGumb » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 20:59:05

however, the online promotion of an NT4 BDC in an SBS domain will fail
because SBS will NOT accept being demoted.

Install a spare box as NT4 BDC.
Transfer your data from SBS to the BDC. (copy + exmerge)
disconnect SBS 4.x.
forcefully promote the BDC to PDC status and remove SBS from the domain.
(from this point on SBS4.x cannot connect to the network).
Upgrade the new PDC to W2K (non SBS2K), it will automatically create a new
AD.
Install a nonSBS version of W2K onto your target SBS2K machine.
DCPromo the target SBS, currently running nonSBS W2K, into the domain.
DCPromo the 'spare' box out of the domain. This transfers the FSMO roles to
the target SBS hardware and makes it 'first domain controller & root of the
forest'.
Throw CD1 of the SBS2K set into the target box and follow the bouncing the
ball.
To-Do list.
Patch the cow.

feet up, cigar, smile.

> No, Exmerge doesn't do that. What you could do is install a computer with
> NT4 and set it up as a BDC to your NT4-server. After that promote it to
PDC,
> which will demote your current NT4-server to BDC, install W2K and than
> you'll have all the users.

> Marina

> > Thats fine.

> > Would Exmerge move the Users and groups with their SID and
> > GUIDs as well? because I don't want to assign permissions
> > all over again.

> > And what will happen to user profiles and computer
> > accounts?

> > I'm sorry if I didn't give you the whole picture. Thanks
> > for your quick response.
> > Atif

Post by Atif » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 23:13:24

Thanks for your detailed answer however, my basic question
was

Can I use someone's copy of Windows NT 4 regular version?

And

Can I also use his Exchange 5.5 (regular version)?

Because my company DO NOT own the lisences for those
softwares so I thought perhaps I can use someone else's
copy for the purpose of migration, as you know I am not
intending to use that copied software for the production
purpose.

If so, Can I also get technical support from Microsoft
incase I run into problems during migration? Would they
require me to have a legit copy of windows NT 4 and
Exchange 5.5?

I think my question is more related to licensing rather
than migration itself. Thank you

Note: I do not want to know the migration drill.

Atif

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>however, the online promotion of an NT4 BDC in an SBS
domain will fail
>because SBS will NOT accept being demoted.

>Install a spare box as NT4 BDC.
>Transfer your data from SBS to the BDC. (copy + exmerge)
>disconnect SBS 4.x.
>forcefully promote the BDC to PDC status and remove SBS
from the domain.
>(from this point on SBS4.x cannot connect to the network).
>Upgrade the new PDC to W2K (non SBS2K), it will

automatically create a new
Quote:>AD.
>Install a nonSBS version of W2K onto your target SBS2K
machine.
>DCPromo the target SBS, currently running nonSBS W2K,
into the domain.
>DCPromo the 'spare' box out of the domain. This transfers
the FSMO roles to
>the target SBS hardware and makes it 'first domain

controller & root of the
>forest'.
>Throw CD1 of the SBS2K set into the target box and follow
the bouncing the
>ball.
>To-Do list.
>Patch the cow.

>feet up, cigar, smile.

>> No, Exmerge doesn't do that. What you could do is

install a computer with
Quote:>> NT4 and set it up as a BDC to your NT4-server. After
that promote it to
>PDC,
>> which will demote your current NT4-server to BDC,

install W2K and than
>> you'll have all the users.

>> Marina

>> > Thats fine.

>> > Would Exmerge move the Users and groups with their
SID and
>> > GUIDs as well? because I don't want to assign
permissions
>> > all over again.

>> > And what will happen to user profiles and computer
>> > accounts?

>> > I'm sorry if I didn't give you the whole picture.
Thanks
>> > for your quick response.
>> > Atif

Post by SuperGumb » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 23:47:01

let's get a little creative.

Imagine that the license you intend to use for your migration actually
belonged to your company. You install it onto the 'migration' machine for
the duration of the migration then wipe that machine. Are you allowed to now
install that license onto another machine? (I'd have to suggest yes)

Is someone allowed to lend you their copy of NT as long as they do not have
a machine using that license at the time? If Microsoft did object to this it
wouldn't go very far in the Australian court system before being laughed
off, as long as reasonable evidence was provided that the license was at no
time in use on two sets of hardware.

Would MS object? In my totally humble opinion and without evidence or
experience, I doubt it. As long as the spirit of the EULA was adhered to,
ie. 1 license, 1 current installation.

> Thanks for your detailed answer however, my basic question
> was

> Can I use someone's copy of Windows NT 4 regular version?

> And

> Can I also use his Exchange 5.5 (regular version)?

> Because my company DO NOT own the lisences for those
> softwares so I thought perhaps I can use someone else's
> copy for the purpose of migration, as you know I am not
> intending to use that copied software for the production
> purpose.

> If so, Can I also get technical support from Microsoft
> incase I run into problems during migration? Would they
> require me to have a legit copy of windows NT 4 and
> Exchange 5.5?

> I think my question is more related to licensing rather
> than migration itself. Thank you

> Note: I do not want to know the migration drill.

> Atif

Post by Atif » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 01:24:08

Got it. Thank you for the clarification.

Don't know about the canadian courts though. A serial
rapist and a killer after killing 7 women gets away with
serving only years. On the other hand, a person
accidentally killed another human in a car accident serves
life in prison. Who knows......

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>let's get a little creative.

>Imagine that the license you intend to use for your
migration actually
>belonged to your company. You install it onto

the 'migration' machine for
Quote:>the duration of the migration then wipe that machine. Are
you allowed to now
>install that license onto another machine? (I'd have to
suggest yes)

>Is someone allowed to lend you their copy of NT as long
as they do not have
>a machine using that license at the time? If Microsoft

did object to this it
Quote:>wouldn't go very far in the Australian court system

before being laughed
>off, as long as reasonable evidence was provided that the
license was at no
>time in use on two sets of hardware.

>Would MS object? In my totally humble opinion and without
evidence or
>experience, I doubt it. As long as the spirit of the EULA
was adhered to,
>ie. 1 license, 1 current installation.

>> Thanks for your detailed answer however, my basic
question
>> was

>> Can I use someone's copy of Windows NT 4 regular
version?

>> And

>> Can I also use his Exchange 5.5 (regular version)?

>> Because my company DO NOT own the lisences for those
>> softwares so I thought perhaps I can use someone else's
>> copy for the purpose of migration, as you know I am not
>> intending to use that copied software for the production
>> purpose.

>> If so, Can I also get technical support from Microsoft
>> incase I run into problems during migration? Would they
>> require me to have a legit copy of windows NT 4 and
>> Exchange 5.5?

>> I think my question is more related to licensing rather
>> than migration itself. Thank you

>> Note: I do not want to know the migration drill.

>> Atif

message

>> install a computer with
>> that promote it to
>> >PDC,
>> install W2K and than

>> SID and
>> permissions

>> Thanks

1. Migrate from SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 server + Exchange 2000 (NOT SBS 2000).

Please forgive the cross-posting, but I'm not seeing that my question falls
neatly into any particular newsgroup. Also, please forgive if this is an
FAQ.

I have the difficult task of migrating a client from his current setup --
SBS 4.5 with about 9 users -- to a new setup, Windows 2000 server(s) and
Exchange 2000. My client does not use all the other features of SBS 4.5, and
so believes that upgrading to SBS 2000 is not the right thing to do. He is
intent on going to the more modular and flexible Windows 2k server and and
Exchange 2000 installation.

The wrinkle here, of course, is that he wishes to do a direct migration of
current usernames/profiles and Exchange 5.5 mailboxes to the new setup of
Windows 2000 (presumably with AD) and Exchange 2000. I've seen that there
are various whitepapers on the SBS site for upgrading to SBS 2k, but haven't
come across my particular situation.

Might some kind soul direct me to some URL or other that could get me
started?

2. Seminar: E-Commerce Testing Seminar 10/18-10/19 NYC, NY

3. How to upgrade SBS 4.5 to full version of Windows 2000

4. Low cost FFT chip

5. Installing a Windows 2000 Server (SBS 2000) with Exchange 2000 on a Windows NT Network

6. Cannot log on interactively after joining domain

7. Upgrading from SBS 4.5 to full Windows 2000/Exchange 2000???

8. Avoiding roundoff error with poisscdf.m

9. After migrating from windows nt 4 domain to Windows 2000 active directory

10. Upgrade to Windows 2000 (NOT SBS 2000) Server from SBS 4.5

11. Migrate from Windows 2000 server to Small Business Server 2000

12. Upgrading SMS windows NT 4 server to Windows 2000 server

13. windows NT sbs vs. windows 2000 sbs