How can I import older Win95-faxes into a SBS 4.5 fax-solution?

How can I import older Win95-faxes into a SBS 4.5 fax-solution?

Post by Lars Wing » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello Experts,
I'm just THIS close of selling a 10 user SBS-solution to one of my
customers................BUT.....what about thier faxes?

They are now running a NT-server 4.0 and Win95 clients. I want them to
change their clients into NT Workstations and get a SBS-server instead.

They have an Win95-maschine, using the Outlook97 faxclient to received
faxes. This have been running for 2 years, and they won't loose there
archive of faxes, (Incoming invoices etc.). I've tried setting up a NTW, but
the faxclient for NTW wouldn't work at all.

Will the SBS adapt the old faxarchive? Or do anybody know a 3. party product
to do the trick

I'm listening!

How can I import older Win95-faxes into a SBS 4.5 fax-solution?

Post by Jeff Middleto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I would look into the file format of the Win9x fax program and probably
discover that the files are all CCITT Group 3 files with some kind of MS
specific file header.  I am not familiar with how Win9x fax 'organizes' and
describes each fax, whether it is just a filename or some sort of database
front end.

However, I would think that since the Win9x fax program works as an Outlook
Client, you probably could bring those files into Exchange on that station,
and then either provide the customer with a G3 file viewer or even leave the
Win9x fax installed to allow this.

Leadtools is a development kit that includes a remarkable number of graphics
file viewer that developers can build applications with.  The probably have
a sample viewer on their website that would view the G3 files.

These are all just ideas, not experience.

As for what would I do in your situation, I would cut to the chase on this
and show them a real fax program (beating Zetafax to death again) and show
them why they want Exchange and group email to make faxes really powerful
and ignore the SBS fax util entirely.  You will have a happy customer if you
go this route.  You just need to offer them the entire bunch instead of one
grape.

Quote:> Hello Experts,
> I'm just THIS close of selling a 10 user SBS-solution to one of my
> customers................BUT.....what about thier faxes?

> They are now running a NT-server 4.0 and Win95 clients. I want them to
> change their clients into NT Workstations and get a SBS-server instead.

> They have an Win95-maschine, using the Outlook97 faxclient to received
> faxes. This have been running for 2 years, and they won't loose there
> archive of faxes, (Incoming invoices etc.). I've tried setting up a NTW,
but
> the faxclient for NTW wouldn't work at all.

> Will the SBS adapt the old faxarchive? Or do anybody know a 3. party
product
> to do the trick

> I'm listening!

1. SBS 4.5 Fax Server Issue, with update for win2k being able to fax over sbs 4.5

Well here is my situation with that update.

When I run the update on the server I get this error:

Cannot update SBS Fax Service. Fax Service is not installed

Now I go into services and the fax service is not only installed but even
started.

Any thoughts on this?

Avi

2. Problems with unused monitor space

3. SBS 4.5 Fax Server not sending Fax Acks

4. Ultima 7 Engine

5. SBS 4.5 Fax Service not sending faxes

6. FS: XTerminal

7. SBS 4.5 Fax services - FAX routing

8. SBS 4.5 Fax Client - Corrupted Fax Data from 16-Bit Output

9. Seeting Up Win95 FAx Service Through SBS Shared Fax

10. fax out solutions???? RAS FAXING DIALOUT?????

11. Solution: Faxing with Samba - faxing.txt [1/1]