SBS4.5 - Upgrade to SBS2000 on Same Box

Post by Joel Adam » Fri, 01 Nov 2002 02:28:24

Hi - I've tried today to upgrade our sbs4.5 server to
sbs2000, but aborted it. When I first put the sbs2000 disk
1 in the cd drive, it went through the initial setup
questions and gave a setup blocked error, saying that i
needed to install windows 2000 before proceeding.

I then re-booted from the cd to install windows 2000 first
and, after the first coule of questions, it said that if i
continued, all the existing installation would be
overwritten, including user / computer accounts etc.

Is there any way I can perform this upgrade and allow the
existing settings (users, computers and exchange mailboxes
in particular) to migrate without having to re-ceate them?

Thanks in advance!

Joel

SBS4.5 - Upgrade to SBS2000 on Same Box

Post by Susan Bradley, CPA aka » Fri, 01 Nov 2002 06:04:48

Chapter 15 - Upgrading to Small Business Server 2000:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sbs/plan/sbspni5o.asp?fr...

hmmmm.... you've read through this right?  And your 4.5 "thinks" it's a
4.5 and not a WinNT?

> Hi - I've tried today to upgrade our sbs4.5 server to
> sbs2000, but aborted it. When I first put the sbs2000 disk
> 1 in the cd drive, it went through the initial setup
> questions and gave a setup blocked error, saying that i
> needed to install windows 2000 before proceeding.

> I then re-booted from the cd to install windows 2000 first
> and, after the first coule of questions, it said that if i
> continued, all the existing installation would be
> overwritten, including user / computer accounts etc.

> Is there any way I can perform this upgrade and allow the
> existing settings (users, computers and exchange mailboxes
> in particular) to migrate without having to re-ceate them?

> Thanks in advance!

> Joel

SBS4.5 - Upgrade to SBS2000 on Same Box

Post by Joel Adam » Fri, 01 Nov 2002 11:23:04

Thanks for this again Susan, but things don't seem to be
going quite how the document says. I should point out that
I have the full version of sbs2000; should I be using an
upgrade set of disks (if they exist!)?

The sbs 4.5 box behaves pretty normally in every other
respect, so I'm sure it knows it is a 4.5 and not a wnt4.
Is there any way to verify this?

ni5o.asp?frame=true

>hmmmm.... you've read through this right?  And your
4.5 "thinks" it's a
>4.5 and not a WinNT?

>> Hi - I've tried today to upgrade our sbs4.5 server to
>> sbs2000, but aborted it. When I first put the sbs2000
disk
>> 1 in the cd drive, it went through the initial setup
>> questions and gave a setup blocked error, saying that i
>> needed to install windows 2000 before proceeding.

>> I then re-booted from the cd to install windows 2000
first
>> and, after the first coule of questions, it said that
if i
>> continued, all the existing installation would be
>> overwritten, including user / computer accounts etc.

>> Is there any way I can perform this upgrade and allow
the
>> existing settings (users, computers and exchange
mailboxes
>> in particular) to migrate without having to re-ceate
them?

>> Thanks in advance!

>> Joel

>.

1. hardware and software upgrade on an sbs4.0 box

I want to upgrade my current sbs 4.0a server to 4.5 and at the same time
upgrade the hardware.

if i change the hardware (board and processor) will it effect the settings
of sbs or will sbs automatically recognize changes and correct them?

If it effects the settings and does not correct them should i then reinstall
sbs 4.0 from the beginning?

If i have to reinstall what is the minimal i have to restore from backup
(besides data), if i am only using it for exchange server?

thanks for any help

Donnie
American Audio Visual Center

2. Netscape palm addressbook synch

3. Upgrade to SBS2000 on new box - transfer user accounts?

4. TCP/IP on AS/400

5. damaged outbox

6. Upgrade fom SBS4.5 to SBS2000

7. MacRecorder/Studio Session Questions

8. SBS4.5 to SBS2000 Upgrade path?

9. Email problem after upgrading from SBS4.5 to SBS2000

10. Upgrading from SBS4 to SBS2000.

11. SBS4.5 to SBS2000 Upgrade using a new server

12. upgrading from sbs4.5 to sbs2000