Question - on the XP browsing issue

Post by Susan Bradley, CPA aka » Wed, 27 Mar 2002 17:13:20

For all of those with the XP browsing issue - a raise of mouses here....

1.  Did you also experience any of the out of license issues?
2.  Apply hotfixes for the out of license issue?
3.  Map drives from the workstation rather than the proper "Jeff" group
policy method?

Just wondering.......

Susan

Question - on the XP browsing issue

Post by Ray Collin » Wed, 27 Mar 2002 17:48:04

Hi Susan,
I haven't had this happen at my site or any of my clients sites, touch wood.
:-)
I am wondering if somebody who does have this problem could try setting the
"Use WINS Lookup" option in DNS and tick the box that says "Do not replicate
this record".

As you mentioned previously the DHCP scope should also contain the details
of the WINS server and the WINS type record as 0x8

I don't want to use any of my sites as guinea pigs and risk breaking a
working system. :-)
Of course if it's already broken making these changes won't make it any
worse.
If somebody does try this please let me know what happens either way.

HTH

Quote:> For all of those with the XP browsing issue - a raise of mouses here....

> 1.  Did you also experience any of the out of license issues?
> 2.  Apply hotfixes for the out of license issue?
> 3.  Map drives from the workstation rather than the proper "Jeff" group
> policy method?

> Just wondering.......

> Susan

Question - on the XP browsing issue

Post by Ross Malyon - SBS2000 Guess Maste » Wed, 27 Mar 2002 18:19:01

nope not here..

--
Regards Ross M

FYI
www.cdg-group.com For Trend Anti Virus On the Web
www.eventid.net for them Perflib errors
www.veritas.com BackupExec for Backups

THAT IS ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW...

Quote:> For all of those with the XP browsing issue - a raise of mouses here....

> 1.  Did you also experience any of the out of license issues?
> 2.  Apply hotfixes for the out of license issue?
> 3.  Map drives from the workstation rather than the proper "Jeff" group
> policy method?

> Just wondering.......

> Susan

Question - on the XP browsing issue

Post by BSmit » Wed, 27 Mar 2002 23:31:37

I'm trying to see where the process is broken. I know on a peer to peer
network browsing is done via the master browser list. When you migrate to a
2k PDC "real" network where is the browse list stored? Or does it rely on
WINS or DNS?

Quote:> For all of those with the XP browsing issue - a raise of mouses here....

> 1.  Did you also experience any of the out of license issues?
> 2.  Apply hotfixes for the out of license issue?
> 3.  Map drives from the workstation rather than the proper "Jeff" group
> policy method?

> Just wondering.......

> Susan

Question - on the XP browsing issue

Post by Dave Nickaso » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 00:19:24

1.  No
2.  No
3.  Yes

I'm assuming you're referring to the problem with browsing Network Places,
Entire Network, Microsoft Windows Network, My Domainname, and getting the
message "An invalid operation was attempted on an active network
connection."

Quote:> For all of those with the XP browsing issue - a raise of mouses here....

> 1.  Did you also experience any of the out of license issues?
> 2.  Apply hotfixes for the out of license issue?
> 3.  Map drives from the workstation rather than the proper "Jeff" group
> policy method?

> Just wondering.......

> Susan

Question - on the XP browsing issue

Post by Jeff Middleton [SBS-MVP » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 00:32:07

MS has already confirmed where the "breakdown" is on this. Without going
into too much detail that MS doesn't want to present openly (not for spooky
reasons, but rather not to send the world into areas that likely have
greater potential consequences than the problem itself causes), essentially
a browser list request connection from a client workstation reaching into
the browser services is becoming "locked", blocking the port that others
would also use to gain browser information through that port, therefore
preventing the browser information from being available to subsequent
requests from other clients.

As a result, the problem isn't WINS, it isn't DHCP, it isn't the client
configuration, it isn't bad DNS information. This isn't about the browser
information being wrong, corrupt or misread. It's about a bug/whack that
stops the information from being accessible by the method that W2K/XP access
it, which it happens is not the same way legacy clients would access it.

The "practical" workaround is to go directly past the Entire Network and
Domain level in the browser and hit either the Server or Share directly by
name. This can be done by mapping a drive letter, saving a shortcut to
either a machine, or share, or using the nethood features to save My Network
Places. You can create these either from machines not experiencing the
problem or manually.

The only manner I've heard that has been observed to address a workaround of
the locked port at the server level applies "blunt force" by dramatically
altering the access afforded to the W2K/XP client browsers mechanism in such
a way, that anyone with the technical skill to understand the "work around"
observes..."well, sure that will circumvent the blocked port problem....and
who knows what else it will crater in the process, and don't ever forget you
made that change."  The workaround I've been told about is the equivalent of
killing weeds in your front yard by pouring salt over the yard.....kills
everything.  It's really not a viable answer in production, only in test bed
scenarios, and that's why MS isn't talking about it publicly.  It's not
often that a problem this blunt appears across such a large cross-section of
users...but it happens. I think the best answer is to wait on MS to identify
the resolution process, because the level at which this is happening is so
core to the network services design itself. As such, I keep trying to figure
out why Susan is still trying to troubleshoot this herself.

Don't you have some taxes to figure to keep you occupied, Susan?  :)

As I've posted before, I saw this behavior first hand the first time I
configured XP workstations to an SBS LAN. In that situation, the error was
not observed with the default configuration of the XP workstations as loaded
from the distribution CD. Rather, it was only after applying a security
roll-up, and possibly at the same time the Trend Micro AV client had been
installed. Unlike many other folks, I had not added much to my XP clients at
the time the problem showed up.  I personally think it's in the IE hotfix
rollup, perhaps in combination with the Trend Client. However, I've just not
bothered to pursue it.

I suppose there could be some debate as to whether the configuration of the
server itself is a contributing issue, or if it's just the client
configuration that is the problem.

> I'm trying to see where the process is broken. I know on a peer to peer
> network browsing is done via the master browser list. When you migrate to
> 2k PDC "real" network where is the browse list stored? Or does it rely on
> WINS or DNS?

> > For all of those with the XP browsing issue - a raise of mouses here....

> > 1.  Did you also experience any of the out of license issues?
> > 2.  Apply hotfixes for the out of license issue?
> > 3.  Map drives from the workstation rather than the proper "Jeff" group
> > policy method?

> > Just wondering.......

> > Susan

Question - on the XP browsing issue

Post by Susan Bradley, CPA aka » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 01:02:53

I'm still curious as to why some people report it happening and some don't.

Actually doing litigation consulting.....

Susan  :<)

> [...]

> rollup, perhaps in combination with the Trend Client. However, I've just not
> bothered to pursue it.

> I suppose there could be some debate as to whether the configuration of the
> server itself is a contributing issue, or if it's just the client
> configuration that is the problem.

> > I'm trying to see where the process is broken. I know on a peer to peer
> > network browsing is done via the master browser list. When you migrate to
> > 2k PDC "real" network where is the browse list stored? Or does it rely on
> > WINS or DNS?

> > > For all of those with the XP browsing issue - a raise of mouses here....

> > > 1.  Did you also experience any of the out of license issues?
> > > 2.  Apply hotfixes for the out of license issue?
> > > 3.  Map drives from the workstation rather than the proper "Jeff" group

Post by Andy » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 04:17:27

1.  Yes
2.  Yes
3.  Yes (could you elaborate on the benefits of the "proper" method, please)

I've experienced the "broken browser with XP" ever since I added two new XP
boxes to my SBS network back in January.  When I received the two new XP
boxes (Dells), I did my usual clean install and followed that with all the
security patches.  Then we noticed that when the users tried to browse, they
couldn't.  I didn't know what was going on at the time, but thanks to this
newsgroup, I am now enlightened on the subject.  As an aside, I have about
10 Win2K workstations who don't exhibit the "broken browser" problem.

So today, as a test, I took a brand new Dell out of the box, booted up XP,
and joined the domain.  Sure enough, I'm able to browse to my heart's
content.

Browsing the network isn't a big requirement for us 99% of the time, so I'm
going to go ahead and apply all the security patches and see if I can still
browse.

Stay tuned for an update...

btw, I'm also running Instant Messaging on my SBS server.  It's strange that
from my Win2K boxes, I can see that online status of the users on the XP
boxes, but I can't IM them...I get the following in the IM screen:
The following message could not be delivered to all recipients:

Anybody got an idea on why that might be?  Win2K to Win2K IM works like a
champ.

Andy

Quote:> For all of those with the XP browsing issue - a raise of mouses here....

> 1.  Did you also experience any of the out of license issues?
> 2.  Apply hotfixes for the out of license issue?
> 3.  Map drives from the workstation rather than the proper "Jeff" group
> policy method?

> Just wondering.......

> Susan

Question - on the XP browsing issue

Post by Andy » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 04:53:00

Ok, I went to Windows Update and got all of the critical updates available.
Rebooted and then opened explorer.  I was suprised (I think) to find that I
was able to browse the network.  Am I jumping the gun here?  Or will it quit
browsing shortly?

btw, this is with the Dell factory-install of XP Pro.  The other two Dells I
mentioned in my original post had a clean install.

Andy

> 1.  Yes
> 2.  Yes
> 3.  Yes (could you elaborate on the benefits of the "proper" method,
please)

> I've experienced the "broken browser with XP" ever since I added two new
XP
> boxes to my SBS network back in January.  When I received the two new XP
> boxes (Dells), I did my usual clean install and followed that with all the
> security patches.  Then we noticed that when the users tried to browse,
they
> couldn't.  I didn't know what was going on at the time, but thanks to this
> newsgroup, I am now enlightened on the subject.  As an aside, I have about
> 10 Win2K workstations who don't exhibit the "broken browser" problem.

> So today, as a test, I took a brand new Dell out of the box, booted up XP,
> and joined the domain.  Sure enough, I'm able to browse to my heart's
> content.

> Browsing the network isn't a big requirement for us 99% of the time, so
I'm
> going to go ahead and apply all the security patches and see if I can
still
> browse.

> Stay tuned for an update...

> btw, I'm also running Instant Messaging on my SBS server.  It's strange
that
> from my Win2K boxes, I can see that online status of the users on the XP
> boxes, but I can't IM them...I get the following in the IM screen:
> The following message could not be delivered to all recipients:

> Anybody got an idea on why that might be?  Win2K to Win2K IM works like a
> champ.

> Andy

> > For all of those with the XP browsing issue - a raise of mouses here....

> > 1.  Did you also experience any of the out of license issues?
> > 2.  Apply hotfixes for the out of license issue?
> > 3.  Map drives from the workstation rather than the proper "Jeff" group
> > policy method?

> > Just wondering.......

> > Susan

Question - on the XP browsing issue

Post by Jeff Middleton [SBS-MVP » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 05:02:16

Quote:> boxes, but I can't IM them...I get the following in the IM screen:
> The following message could not be delivered to all recipients:

> Anybody got an idea on why that might be?  Win2K to Win2K IM works like a
> champ.

Less obvious symptom of the same browser problem, probably.

I'll bet you that if you add the IE Security Rollup to that XP box, it stops
normal browsing on the following boot. That's where I think the trigger is
hidden. If you were going to test that theory, you would likely want to make
an image of the workstation first. Might be interesting to know if
uninstalling the Hotfix unbreaks it.

BTW, I'm not asking you to do this, I'm just speculating.  This is the test
I was going to do, but haven't had the chance to get to it.

Quote:> 3.  Yes (could you elaborate on the benefits of the "proper" method,

please)

Uh. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what detail she has in mind here.
My general approach is to use logon scripts to map all my drive connections
so that I don't have to worry about drive access.  I also have a tendency
now to stick to "single root" shared folder locations, and to use
File/folder permissions, not multiple shares, to assign permissions. In this
way, you can often provide a single shared folder, connect a drive letter,
and make everything available from there.

In addition, you can redirect folders, including Start Menu, so if you want
to add stuff to the user's start menu....like shared folder names, you can
do that too.  I'm not really recommending redirecting start menu to address
this, just observing that it can be done if it were that important to you.

> 1.  Yes
> 2.  Yes
> 3.  Yes (could you elaborate on the benefits of the "proper" method,
please)

> I've experienced the "broken browser with XP" ever since I added two new
XP
> boxes to my SBS network back in January.  When I received the two new XP
> boxes (Dells), I did my usual clean install and followed that with all the
> security patches.  Then we noticed that when the users tried to browse,
they
> couldn't.  I didn't know what was going on at the time, but thanks to this
> newsgroup, I am now enlightened on the subject.  As an aside, I have about
> 10 Win2K workstations who don't exhibit the "broken browser" problem.

> So today, as a test, I took a brand new Dell out of the box, booted up XP,
> and joined the domain.  Sure enough, I'm able to browse to my heart's
> content.

> Browsing the network isn't a big requirement for us 99% of the time, so
I'm
> going to go ahead and apply all the security patches and see if I can
still
> browse.

> Stay tuned for an update...

> btw, I'm also running Instant Messaging on my SBS server.  It's strange
that
> from my Win2K boxes, I can see that online status of the users on the XP
> boxes, but I can't IM them...I get the following in the IM screen:
> The following message could not be delivered to all recipients:

> Anybody got an idea on why that might be?  Win2K to Win2K IM works like a
> champ.

> Andy

> > For all of those with the XP browsing issue - a raise of mouses here....

> > 1.  Did you also experience any of the out of license issues?
> > 2.  Apply hotfixes for the out of license issue?
> > 3.  Map drives from the workstation rather than the proper "Jeff" group
> > policy method?

> > Just wondering.......

> > Susan

Question - on the XP browsing issue

Post by Andy » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 05:21:57

Maybe I found something here...

I went in and enabled XP's firewall with the default settings.  Was able to
browse.  Reboot and boom...no browsing.  However, the error says "network
path not found" instead of the invalid operation as described in other
posts. This was all logged in as domain admin.  I decided to log in as me.
This time when I browsed, I got the invalid operation error.

Next I disabled the firewall...able to browse again.  Reboot and still able
to browse.

So, what I'm thinking is that the firewall is blocking the necessary port.
Anybody know which port to open up?

Still searching...

Andy

> 1.  Yes
> 2.  Yes
> 3.  Yes (could you elaborate on the benefits of the "proper" method,
please)

> I've experienced the "broken browser with XP" ever since I added two new
XP
> boxes to my SBS network back in January.  When I received the two new XP
> boxes (Dells), I did my usual clean install and followed that with all the
> security patches.  Then we noticed that when the users tried to browse,
they
> couldn't.  I didn't know what was going on at the time, but thanks to this
> newsgroup, I am now enlightened on the subject.  As an aside, I have about
> 10 Win2K workstations who don't exhibit the "broken browser" problem.

> So today, as a test, I took a brand new Dell out of the box, booted up XP,
> and joined the domain.  Sure enough, I'm able to browse to my heart's
> content.

> Browsing the network isn't a big requirement for us 99% of the time, so
I'm
> going to go ahead and apply all the security patches and see if I can
still
> browse.

> Stay tuned for an update...

> btw, I'm also running Instant Messaging on my SBS server.  It's strange
that
> from my Win2K boxes, I can see that online status of the users on the XP
> boxes, but I can't IM them...I get the following in the IM screen:
> The following message could not be delivered to all recipients:

> Anybody got an idea on why that might be?  Win2K to Win2K IM works like a
> champ.

> Andy

> > For all of those with the XP browsing issue - a raise of mouses here....

> > 1.  Did you also experience any of the out of license issues?
> > 2.  Apply hotfixes for the out of license issue?
> > 3.  Map drives from the workstation rather than the proper "Jeff" group
> > policy method?

> > Just wondering.......

> > Susan

Question - on the XP browsing issue

Post by Les Conno » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 05:43:43

Andy,

Actually, any operation that causes a 're-set' of the nic will enable
browsing. There are lots of activities that cause this re-set. However,
believe it - browsing is broken.

I resolved some time ago to fuggetaboutit, and go on to other things. (but
here I am, still reading browse threads!). It was annoying for a while, but
isn't a show stopper at all.

Les.

> [...]

> still
> > browse.

> > Stay tuned for an update...

> > btw, I'm also running Instant Messaging on my SBS server.  It's strange
> that
> > from my Win2K boxes, I can see that online status of the users on the XP
> > boxes, but I can't IM them...I get the following in the IM screen:
> > The following message could not be delivered to all recipients:

> > Anybody got an idea on why that might be?  Win2K to Win2K IM works like
> > champ.

> > Andy

> > > For all of those with the XP browsing issue - a raise of mouses
here....

> > > 1.  Did you also experience any of the out of license issues?
> > > 2.  Apply hotfixes for the out of license issue?
> > > 3.  Map drives from the workstation rather than the proper "Jeff"

Post by Susan Bradley, CPA aka » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 06:13:29

That's the method I mean ...the Jeff method [the proper way]  versis the "Susan"
method whereby you map them "from/at" the workstation.  I think [theory only
here!!!] that this might also be the trigger for Win2k 302099 issue but I
haven't tested that out...but Steve doesn't get the 302099 issue and I do.

Susan

> [...]

> still
> > browse.

> > Stay tuned for an update...

> > btw, I'm also running Instant Messaging on my SBS server.  It's strange
> that
> > from my Win2K boxes, I can see that online status of the users on the XP
> > boxes, but I can't IM them...I get the following in the IM screen:
> > The following message could not be delivered to all recipients:

> > Anybody got an idea on why that might be?  Win2K to Win2K IM works like a
> > champ.

> > Andy

> > > For all of those with the XP browsing issue - a raise of mouses here....

> > > 1.  Did you also experience any of the out of license issues?
> > > 2.  Apply hotfixes for the out of license issue?
> > > 3.  Map drives from the workstation rather than the proper "Jeff" group

1. Updated xp-sbs 2000 browsing issues

Since I still can not solve this problem, I thought I would try a new post.
I have 12 xp clients hooked up to a sbs 2000 server. There is a problem
where you can not see the server when browsing from a client even though all
network functions work. This problem comes and goes two to three times a
day. Microsoft knows about this and is working on  a solution (or so I am
told). Recently, the customer decided to change incoming faxes so they come
in through the server rather than one of the clients. Everything went
smoothly until I tried to add a network printer so he can print the faxes
out. We would like to use the printer attached to the receptionist's
computer. However, I now find that I can not see any of the attached shared
printers or files when I browse from the server out to the clients. I was
told to use the search funtion in active directories, however, I then get
the message that the client's network path can not be found even though I
can see the client. I can successfully browse all xp clients from another xp
client. I can ping all of the clients. Any new thoughts or ideas????

2. PC Pine 4.31 -x pinercx option

3. Any News of win2K/xp SBS2000 Browsing issue from Microsoft?

4. PCClipboard module?

5. XP Clients can't browse but can connect (1 of several XP query's)

6. What font is this?

7. Browse master, browse list, but no response to browse requests?

8. Q: How to fix scope-pictures in a Word-document?

9. Remote Browsing issues

10. Browsing Issues with SBS and MultiHomed PDC

11. XP pro client problems in browsing domain

12. VPN woes, 4.5 server, xp-pro client, authentictes but no browse/ping internal nw

13. Client Browsing Issues -> Time Out