setting file permissions on files/folders on a server

setting file permissions on files/folders on a server

Post by sean » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 22:38:17

Hi
I want to set file permissions on files and folders on a
server.  I select the particular file from the server and
click on properties but the only option it has is General.
Any ideas?

setting file permissions on files/folders on a server

Post by James Reathe » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 22:49:42

Quote:> Hi
> I want to set file permissions on files and folders on a
> server.  I select the particular file from the server and
> click on properties but the only option it has is General.
> Any ideas?

Is the partition NTFS?

James

setting file permissions on files/folders on a server

Post by sean » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 23:43:14

Hey
No, its FAT.

Post by James Reathe » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 23:51:02

> >> Hi
> >> I want to set file permissions on files and folders on a
> >> server.  I select the particular file from the server
> >> and
> >> click on properties but the only option it has is
> >> General.
> >> Any ideas?

> >Is the partition NTFS?

> Hey
> No, its FAT.

There's your answer :-)  You can't set permissions on a FAT partition.

HOW TO: Configure Security for Files and Folders on a Network (Domain) in
Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=301195
says this:

"To convert a partition to NTFS:
  1.. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click
Command Prompt.
  2.. Type convert drive: /FS:NTFS, where drive is the drive that you want
to convert.

  For example, to convert drive D to NTFS, type the following line:
  convert D: /FS:NTFS

  3.. If you attempt to convert a drive while it is being accessed by
Windows 2000, Windows 2000 displays a message prompting you to convert the
drive when the computer is restarted. Click Yes, quit any running programs,
and then restart your computer."

Make sure you have a good backup first....

James

setting file permissions on files/folders on a server

Post by Frank Clar » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 05:23:48

Excuse me... nudging through... make way...

Hello, Hi... easy way to get command prompt...
start --> Run --> 'cmd' + [Enter]

Then run the convert without any problems.  And I have never
had a problem running convert and losing data before.

And when you do run it it will want exclusive use of the drive so it will
ask if you want to restart and just say yes and then sit back and watch.

You can oh and ah if you want but it's not That exciting.....

Also any other systems you setup, START with NTFS.... there are a few
security issues with converting from FAT to NTFS.  if you do a google
search and/or a search on knowledge base you will find more than
enough info.

Frank Clark

        Sorry for barging in here.... ;->

 43  lines on "Re: setting file permissions on files/folders on a server":