3com etherlink lan/modem and SBS client problemo

3com etherlink lan/modem and SBS client problemo

Post by Gareth Thoma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have a Dell Inspiron Notebook with a 3COM 33.6k/LAN PCMCIA card. I
have just upgraded to Win98. When I try and run the client setup from
SBS 4.0a, it tells me that it does not recognise the driver for the
card. If I go ahead and install I get a GPF. Anybody any ideas. Dell
could give me no answers, and there is nothing on the 3com website.

Help!

Thanks

3com etherlink lan/modem and SBS client problemo

Post by Cris Hanna, BS, MCP, MV » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Gareth,
There is a known problem with Win98 clients.
Reboot and run setup again.
It may require this to be done 4 times or more before it works.

A note.  Check in Network Properties and make sure the Microsoft Family
Logon is not there.  If it is remove it.
Then reboot before trying again.

Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
SBS-MVP

>I have a Dell Inspiron Notebook with a 3COM 33.6k/LAN PCMCIA card. I
>have just upgraded to Win98. When I try and run the client setup from
>SBS 4.0a, it tells me that it does not recognise the driver for the
>card. If I go ahead and install I get a GPF. Anybody any ideas. Dell
>could give me no answers, and there is nothing on the 3com website.

>Help!

>Thanks

3com etherlink lan/modem and SBS client problemo

Post by Gareth Thoma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Gareth,
> There is a known problem with Win98 clients.
> Reboot and run setup again.
> It may require this to be done 4 times or more before it works.

> A note.  Check in Network Properties and make sure the Microsoft Family
> Logon is not there.  If it is remove it.
> Then reboot before trying again.

> Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
> SBS-MVP

> >I have a Dell Inspiron Notebook with a 3COM 33.6k/LAN PCMCIA card. I
> >have just upgraded to Win98. When I try and run the client setup from
> >SBS 4.0a, it tells me that it does not recognise the driver for the
> >card. If I go ahead and install I get a GPF. Anybody any ideas. Dell
> >could give me no answers, and there is nothing on the 3com website.

> >Help!

> >Thanks

Chris,

thanks for the response. I was able to get the client install to run
without the IPDETECT GPF, however I cannot logon to my server, it tells
me it cannot find the Domain Name server. I have tried the following:

- removing Dial Up Networking (I have heard this can cause problems)
- I added back in the Microsoft Family Logon after rebooting so now I
have both the Client for Microsoft Networks AND Microsoft Family Login.

When I ran the client setup, it did still tell me that the driver I have
for my 3Com PCMCIA card was one that it did not recognise. I am
wondering if this is now causing me a problem??

Thanks for your help.

3com etherlink lan/modem and SBS client problemo

Post by Cris Hanna, BS, MCP, MV » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

When it pops up and says its disabling the dialup adapter, does it then ask
for an adapter??
If so just choose "existing NDIS driver"

But you will need Dial up Networking

Cris

>> Gareth,
>> There is a known problem with Win98 clients.
>> Reboot and run setup again.
>> It may require this to be done 4 times or more before it works.

>> A note.  Check in Network Properties and make sure the Microsoft Family
>> Logon is not there.  If it is remove it.
>> Then reboot before trying again.

>> Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
>> SBS-MVP

>> >I have a Dell Inspiron Notebook with a 3COM 33.6k/LAN PCMCIA card. I
>> >have just upgraded to Win98. When I try and run the client setup from
>> >SBS 4.0a, it tells me that it does not recognise the driver for the
>> >card. If I go ahead and install I get a GPF. Anybody any ideas. Dell
>> >could give me no answers, and there is nothing on the 3com website.

>> >Help!

>> >Thanks
>Chris,

>thanks for the response. I was able to get the client install to run
>without the IPDETECT GPF, however I cannot logon to my server, it tells
>me it cannot find the Domain Name server. I have tried the following:

>- removing Dial Up Networking (I have heard this can cause problems)
>- I added back in the Microsoft Family Logon after rebooting so now I
>have both the Client for Microsoft Networks AND Microsoft Family Login.

>When I ran the client setup, it did still tell me that the driver I have
>for my 3Com PCMCIA card was one that it did not recognise. I am
>wondering if this is now causing me a problem??

>Thanks for your help.

3com etherlink lan/modem and SBS client problemo

Post by Gareth Thoma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> When it pops up and says its disabling the dialup adapter, does it then ask
> for an adapter??
> If so just choose "existing NDIS driver"

> But you will need Dial up Networking

> Cris

> >> Gareth,
> >> There is a known problem with Win98 clients.
> >> Reboot and run setup again.
> >> It may require this to be done 4 times or more before it works.

> >> A note.  Check in Network Properties and make sure the Microsoft Family
> >> Logon is not there.  If it is remove it.
> >> Then reboot before trying again.

> >> Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
> >> SBS-MVP

> >Chris,

> >thanks for the response. I was able to get the client install to run
> >without the IPDETECT GPF, however I cannot logon to my server, it tells
> >me it cannot find the Domain Name server. I have tried the following:

> >- removing Dial Up Networking (I have heard this can cause problems)
> >- I added back in the Microsoft Family Logon after rebooting so now I
> >have both the Client for Microsoft Networks AND Microsoft Family Login.

> >When I ran the client setup, it did still tell me that the driver I have
> >for my 3Com PCMCIA card was one that it did not recognise. I am
> >wondering if this is now causing me a problem??

> >Thanks for your help.

Chris,

thanks for the feedback, actually those nice people at Microsoft Tech
Support supplied me with a "hot fix" update to IPDETECT that solved my
problem. I think they planning a general release of this fix at some
point....

1. Client fails with 3COM 3c509b Etherlink 3 on Windows 98

Hi all,

I successfully installed SBS 4.0 with a 3com 3c905 Fast Etherlink
XL Adapter card.  The whole installation on this server went smooth
without errors.

I also successfully installed a client PC with Windows 98.  This client
PC had a 3com 3c509B-TP Etherlink 3 network adapter.  Windows 98 automatically
configured this adapter during installation.

I then created a "setup disk" on the server to "Add a New Client", running
Windows 95.  SBS 4.0 does not have an option for Windows 98.

My first question is:  Does a client on Windows 98 work with SBS 4.0?

When I ran the setup disk on the client PC with Windows 98, I got an error
message saying that Setup found that the 3c509b adapter is unsupported and may
need to be uninstalled.

I went ahead anyways and ran the setup, but to no avail.  The client PC will
not talk with the server.  Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. FAQ Section 2.1: What is time?

3. 3com lan modem vs sbs 4.5 proxy

4. OS2 Menus

5. SBS and 3Com Lan Modem

6. Reference or Construction Lines in Pro/E Sketcher?

7. SBS with 3Com ISDN Lan Modem

8. Limit on file size using WritePrivateProfileString API call?

9. 3COM 56K Lan Modem & SBS 4.5 w/ Static IP

10. win311 & 3com Etherlink III

11. 3Com ISDN Lan Modem

12. SBS 2000 & 3Com CourierI Modem ISDN/V34