SBS2000 Domain Trusts

Post by David Myer » Mon, 10 Feb 2003 01:56:05

NT4 Domain w/ Exchange 5.5 -> SBS2000

     A client of mine has an existing NT4 domain and has
been using Exchange 5.5 for quite some time.  My basic
problem is that the server is reporting that it doesn't
support setting up trusts between domains. Is their a
workaround for this?
     I need to migrate all of their account info over to
their new SBS2000, and I've read all the docs that I can
find on the Exchange Migration tool and the Active
Directory Migration Tool.  The Exchange Migration tool
doesn't work correctly because the new mailboxes have
their security settings messed up since the old domain was
NT4.  (That is a known limitation.)  And the solution of
using the Active Directory Migration tool won't work since
I can't initiate a trust between the old and new domains.
     Migrating their existing mailboxes and old messages
is critical.  Are their any other ways to move this data?
     My only other idea is to bring a temporary full Win2K
server up, perform the full migration then just do an
Exchange migration between the SBS and the 2K servers
since that is supported.  The other stuff I'll just have
to do by hand, but since there are only 10 users it isn't
a big deal.

SBS2000 Domain Trusts

Post by Susan Bradley on DIAL UP yuck » Mon, 10 Feb 2003 03:43:23

Nope.  The limitation of SBS2k is no trusts.
Do a google search on Jeff Middleton's past postings on this issue.  He lays
out what you need to do and it does need a plain vanilla Win2k in the
mix....

Quote:> NT4 Domain w/ Exchange 5.5 -> SBS2000

>      A client of mine has an existing NT4 domain and has
> been using Exchange 5.5 for quite some time.  My basic
> problem is that the server is reporting that it doesn't
> support setting up trusts between domains. Is their a
> workaround for this?
>      I need to migrate all of their account info over to
> their new SBS2000, and I've read all the docs that I can
> find on the Exchange Migration tool and the Active
> Directory Migration Tool.  The Exchange Migration tool
> doesn't work correctly because the new mailboxes have
> their security settings messed up since the old domain was
> NT4.  (That is a known limitation.)  And the solution of
> using the Active Directory Migration tool won't work since
> I can't initiate a trust between the old and new domains.
>      Migrating their existing mailboxes and old messages
> is critical.  Are their any other ways to move this data?
>      My only other idea is to bring a temporary full Win2K
> server up, perform the full migration then just do an
> Exchange migration between the SBS and the 2K servers
> since that is supported.  The other stuff I'll just have
> to do by hand, but since there are only 10 users it isn't
> a big deal.
>      Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

SBS2000 Domain Trusts

Post by Didie » Mon, 10 Feb 2003 04:31:18

I guess the users' mailbox are the most important thing !
Since the limitations of sbs2000 about trust and so on, I think you should
export all mailboxes to a .PST file and import them into your brand new
sbs2000 server...

Cheers,
Didier

Quote:> NT4 Domain w/ Exchange 5.5 -> SBS2000

>      A client of mine has an existing NT4 domain and has
> been using Exchange 5.5 for quite some time.  My basic
> problem is that the server is reporting that it doesn't
> support setting up trusts between domains. Is their a
> workaround for this?
>      I need to migrate all of their account info over to
> their new SBS2000, and I've read all the docs that I can
> find on the Exchange Migration tool and the Active
> Directory Migration Tool.  The Exchange Migration tool
> doesn't work correctly because the new mailboxes have
> their security settings messed up since the old domain was
> NT4.  (That is a known limitation.)  And the solution of
> using the Active Directory Migration tool won't work since
> I can't initiate a trust between the old and new domains.
>      Migrating their existing mailboxes and old messages
> is critical.  Are their any other ways to move this data?
>      My only other idea is to bring a temporary full Win2K
> server up, perform the full migration then just do an
> Exchange migration between the SBS and the 2K servers
> since that is supported.  The other stuff I'll just have
> to do by hand, but since there are only 10 users it isn't
> a big deal.
>      Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

---

SBS2000 Domain Trusts

Post by David Myer » Mon, 10 Feb 2003 04:46:30

     ARGH!  That's what I figured.  I've already begun
laying out the game plan for doing just that.  I was just
hoping agianst hope that someone had an easier method.
Thanks for the info, though.. I really appreciate it.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Nope.  The limitation of SBS2k is no trusts.
>Do a google search on Jeff Middleton's past postings on

this issue.  He lays
>out what you need to do and it does need a plain vanilla
Win2k in the
>mix....

>> NT4 Domain w/ Exchange 5.5 -> SBS2000

>>      A client of mine has an existing NT4 domain and has
>> been using Exchange 5.5 for quite some time.  My basic
>> problem is that the server is reporting that it doesn't
>> support setting up trusts between domains. Is their a
>> workaround for this?
>>      I need to migrate all of their account info over to
>> their new SBS2000, and I've read all the docs that I can
>> find on the Exchange Migration tool and the Active
>> Directory Migration Tool.  The Exchange Migration tool
>> doesn't work correctly because the new mailboxes have
>> their security settings messed up since the old domain
was
>> NT4.  (That is a known limitation.)  And the solution of
>> using the Active Directory Migration tool won't work
since
>> I can't initiate a trust between the old and new
domains.
>>      Migrating their existing mailboxes and old messages
>> is critical.  Are their any other ways to move this
data?
>>      My only other idea is to bring a temporary full
Win2K
>> server up, perform the full migration then just do an
>> Exchange migration between the SBS and the 2K servers
>> since that is supported.  The other stuff I'll just have
>> to do by hand, but since there are only 10 users it
isn't
>> a big deal.
>>      Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

>.

SBS2000 Domain Trusts

Post by David Myer » Mon, 10 Feb 2003 04:50:16

     I may end up doing that, but I'm bound and determined
to transfer the accounts to save me the headache of having
all new SID's and such.  If I get stumped going another
route, or it looks like it will take too long, then I'll
bail and do just that.
     I've got a good strategy now using a temp Win2k box,
so I'm probably going to start on that move soon.  Thanks
for the input.

1/10/2003

>.

SBS2000 Domain Trusts

Post by Didie » Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:11:37

I'll be surprised if you can keep the SID !
Keep us posted...

Cheers,
Didier

>      I may end up doing that, but I'm bound and determined
> to transfer the accounts to save me the headache of having
> all new SID's and such.  If I get stumped going another
> route, or it looks like it will take too long, then I'll
> bail and do just that.
>      I've got a good strategy now using a temp Win2k box,
> so I'm probably going to start on that move soon.  Thanks
> for the input.

---

1. sbs2000 domain trusts workround

I hope this may be of use to some of you.

We have found out that by installing windows 2000 server (not the one that
comes with the sbs disc but an original version) you can make it a member
domain controler of the sbs domain which then copies the active directory
from the sbs to the win2000 server. After this has been done you can the set
up trusts on the win2000 server (not the sbs) for your domain, this then
replicates to the SBS. And hey presto you have trusts on the SBS. From there
security shows any domain that is trusted.

2. test time!

3. samba domain authentication and trusted domains

4. Can't build the bank example

5. Adding ID from NT4 Trusted domain to W2K Domain through LDAP Provider and vbscript

6. WordPerfect 6.0

7. Trust between SBS2000 and W2k server

8. Help on Toshiba TR 650 with USWest

9. Trust relationship in SBS2000

10. Can a NT2000 server join a SBS2000 domain as an additional domain controller?

11. Normal NT4 domain upgrade to SBS2000 Domain

12. Windows 2000 Domain migration to SBS2000 domain

13. SBS2000 & ISP & DNS Domain Name & Netbios Domain Name