Modem Sharing: Modem pools not visible on client ports

Modem Sharing: Modem pools not visible on client ports

Post by Mike Burkinsha » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

When I add a port to a client machine, it does not offer the option of a
local or remote port, even though modem sharing is enabled. The port seems
to dial out ok even though nothing is shown in the port window. All clients
at NT4, SP5. The SBS server is 4.5, SP4

I've had this before a long time ago. I remembered something about the
Service Pack overwrites a key SBS file that shows this.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Mike

Modem Sharing: Modem pools not visible on client ports

Post by Gary Karasi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Just FYI: If I understand you, my installation works differently. I can see the
local machine's ports and the remote ports (although they are not labeled as
such; the remote port is simply called COM3).

GaryK

> When I add a port to a client machine, it does not offer the option of a
> local or remote port, even though modem sharing is enabled. The port seems
> to dial out ok even though nothing is shown in the port window. All clients
> at NT4, SP5. The SBS server is 4.5, SP4

> I've had this before a long time ago. I remembered something about the
> Service Pack overwrites a key SBS file that shows this.

> Can anyone help?

> Thanks

> Mike

Modem Sharing: Modem pools not visible on client ports

Post by David Nickaso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Did you use modem sharing setup to add the port?  My local ports show as
"Communications Port (Com 1)" and my modem sharing ports show as "Modem
Sharing Port (Com 3)."  Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but anyway,
you have to add modem sharing ports from the modem sharing setup that is
added to the start menu when you do the sbs client install.

Quote:> When I add a port to a client machine, it does not offer the option of a
> local or remote port, even though modem sharing is enabled. The port seems
> to dial out ok even though nothing is shown in the port window. All
clients
> at NT4, SP5. The SBS server is 4.5, SP4

> I've had this before a long time ago. I remembered something about the
> Service Pack overwrites a key SBS file that shows this.

> Can anyone help?

> Thanks

> Mike

1. Clients sharing modem pool, how many ports?

Thanks, Michael... I must be lucky or something; I have a pool running now
with 1 Compaq Kflex 56K modem and 1 USR Sportster Winmodem 33.6 just fine.

As it turns out, my problem was that my second modem port was not set to
send/receive.  After that, Proxy server uses whichever modem is available
and the clients DUN sessions use whichever is available.  On the client, I
let the hardware setup detect the modem sharing ports and installed both as
standard modem types (admittedly, against the advice in this NG).  Both work
AND I have full sharing of two modems/two lines for all my tasks.  Works for
me.
Note: I am not attempting to combine multiple lines.
Thanks for your help.

2. Minor ATO1 bug in USR Courier?

3. ascend max...bah!

4. Shared Modem - modem not functional on client pc

5. limited upload speed

6. Modem Pool not "pooling"

7. tuning your network

8. Problems adding a modem to a modem pool

9. Modem Pools --- Do They Auto-Select Modems?

10. SBS Shared Modem + IE4 uses shared modem AND Proxy Dial-out!?%$

11. Fax Sharing/Modem Sharing with one modem

12. Can Proxy share modems with Modem Sharing?