SBS 4.5 and Win 2000 terminal server

Post by Gareth Jone » Sat, 04 Nov 2000 22:39:16

Has anyone had any experience with this. I would be very intrested to know
the problems and outcome that occured. I have the artical from Microsoft but
am looking for imfprmation relating to a real site that has implemented it.

Thanks

Post by Toussaint OTTAV » Sun, 05 Nov 2000 00:43:43

> Has anyone had any experience with this. I would be very intrested to know
> the problems and outcome that occured. I have the artical from Microsoft but
> am looking for imfprmation relating to a real site that has implemented it.

> Thanks

Hi Gareth,

I made such a test, it seems to work fine.

I got a running SBS 4.5 server with all my applications on it.

I installed a new server with Windows 2000 and I installed the Terminal
Services. Of course, the W2000 server must be a 'standalone' server, and
I didn't play around with Active Directory. I put a static IP adress on
the W2000, but it should be able to get a dynamic adress via DHCP.
I made it a member of my existing SBS domain.

Then, I installed some analog modems and a RNIS card, and quickly set up
a RAS server on the W2000. I used laptops to dial in to the W2000 RAS,
I got DHCP addresses from the SBS DHCP server (via the W2000 DHCP
relay).
Then I ran the Terminal Services Client, and used it to run applications
on the W2000, accessing my databases located on the SBS 4.5.

I didn't found any problem running this configuration. This was just a
quick test, and I planned to do further testing later, but this seems
to be an interesting solution... SBS does not complain at all, as soon
as the W2000 is seen as a 'standalone' server !

Good testings,
Toussaint.

Toussaint OTTAVI (MEDI Informatique)
Tel: (+33) 495 20 10 03 - Fax: (+33) 495 22 32 60

SBS 4.5 and Win 2000 terminal server

Post by Gareth Jone » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Did you have Exchange and outlook ect configured on the network befor you
did this. The reason being is Microsoft say that you will have to reinstall
and setup Apps ect. Also Reg Editing is required is this correct

Gareth

> > Has anyone had any experience with this. I would be very intrested to
know
> > the problems and outcome that occured. I have the artical from Microsoft
but
> > am looking for imfprmation relating to a real site that has implemented
it.

> > Thanks

> Hi Gareth,

> I made such a test, it seems to work fine.

> I got a running SBS 4.5 server with all my applications on it.

> I installed a new server with Windows 2000 and I installed the Terminal
> Services. Of course, the W2000 server must be a 'standalone' server, and
> I didn't play around with Active Directory. I put a static IP adress on
> the W2000, but it should be able to get a dynamic adress via DHCP.
> I made it a member of my existing SBS domain.

> Then, I installed some analog modems and a RNIS card, and quickly set up
> a RAS server on the W2000. I used laptops to dial in to the W2000 RAS,
> I got DHCP addresses from the SBS DHCP server (via the W2000 DHCP
> relay).
> Then I ran the Terminal Services Client, and used it to run applications
> on the W2000, accessing my databases located on the SBS 4.5.

> I didn't found any problem running this configuration. This was just a
> quick test, and I planned to do further testing later, but this seems
> to be an interesting solution... SBS does not complain at all, as soon
> as the W2000 is seen as a 'standalone' server !

> Good testings,
> Toussaint.

> Toussaint OTTAVI (MEDI Informatique)
> Tel: (+33) 495 20 10 03 - Fax: (+33) 495 22 32 60

SBS 4.5 and Win 2000 terminal server

Post by Gareth Jone » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Did you have clients apps such as Outlook installed prior to installing the
Terminal
Quote:> Services on Win2000. The reason being is that Microsoft say you have to

reinstall. Also there is a certain amount of Reg editing to do is this
correct

Gareth Jones

> > Has anyone had any experience with this. I would be very intrested to
know
> > the problems and outcome that occured. I have the artical from Microsoft
but
> > am looking for imfprmation relating to a real site that has implemented
it.

> > Thanks

> Hi Gareth,

> I made such a test, it seems to work fine.

> I got a running SBS 4.5 server with all my applications on it.

> I installed a new server with Windows 2000 and I installed the Terminal
> Services. Of course, the W2000 server must be a 'standalone' server, and
> I didn't play around with Active Directory. I put a static IP adress on
> the W2000, but it should be able to get a dynamic adress via DHCP.
> I made it a member of my existing SBS domain.

> Then, I installed some analog modems and a RNIS card, and quickly set up
> a RAS server on the W2000. I used laptops to dial in to the W2000 RAS,
> I got DHCP addresses from the SBS DHCP server (via the W2000 DHCP
> relay).
> Then I ran the Terminal Services Client, and used it to run applications
> on the W2000, accessing my databases located on the SBS 4.5.

> I didn't found any problem running this configuration. This was just a
> quick test, and I planned to do further testing later, but this seems
> to be an interesting solution... SBS does not complain at all, as soon
> as the W2000 is seen as a 'standalone' server !

> Good testings,
> Toussaint.

> Toussaint OTTAVI (MEDI Informatique)
> Tel: (+33) 495 20 10 03 - Fax: (+33) 495 22 32 60

SBS 4.5 and Win 2000 terminal server

Post by Jeff Middleton [SBS-MVP » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

The W2K Terminal Services work fine as an SBS client. I'm not really
impressed with that KB on using Win2K with SBS....it's got a number of
errors and shortcomings, but nothing that will blow up the server or
anything like that.

The one thing I will point out is that the registry edit it recommends to
configure the Outlook RunOnce key on logon?  It doesn't work unless you have
a Win2K domain in AD, as far as I can tell. The RunOnce key is in the
Terminal Services section of the registry that apparently isn't accessed in
a NT domain like SBS 4.5.  This is just one of the many things that I have
found that Win2K Terminal Services leave to be desired when hosted in an SBS
4.5 domain.  You would need to establish another mechanism to activate this.
I was looking into a method with modprof.exe, but haven't mastered a
technique I can brag about yet.

Mind you, I wholeheartedly endorse using the TS with SBS, even now with
these issues.  Just be aware that you can't lock down the TS neatly without
AD, and this means that you will have to trust your users not to do a bunch
of reconfiguration of the TS, and you can't properly redirect the My
Documents folders.....or do a dozen other things that are documented to be
possible with the W2K version of TS features.....because MS didn't bother to
document what can and what cannot be done specific to using an NT domain vs.
an AD.

With all my complaints, I probably need to mention that my goals tend to be
a bit more aggressive when configuring a LAN than perhaps the average SBS
user, therefore I tend to push on things a little harder and become
dissatisfied with things other folks would consider trivial.

> Did you have clients apps such as Outlook installed prior to installing
the
> Terminal
> > Services on Win2000. The reason being is that Microsoft say you have to
> reinstall. Also there is a certain amount of Reg editing to do is this
> correct

> Gareth Jones

> > > Has anyone had any experience with this. I would be very intrested to
> know
> > > the problems and outcome that occured. I have the artical from
Microsoft
> but
> > > am looking for imfprmation relating to a real site that has
implemented
> it.

> > > Thanks

> > Hi Gareth,

> > I made such a test, it seems to work fine.

> > I got a running SBS 4.5 server with all my applications on it.

> > I installed a new server with Windows 2000 and I installed the Terminal
> > Services. Of course, the W2000 server must be a 'standalone' server, and
> > I didn't play around with Active Directory. I put a static IP adress on
> > the W2000, but it should be able to get a dynamic adress via DHCP.
> > I made it a member of my existing SBS domain.

> > Then, I installed some analog modems and a RNIS card, and quickly set up
> > a RAS server on the W2000. I used laptops to dial in to the W2000 RAS,
> > I got DHCP addresses from the SBS DHCP server (via the W2000 DHCP
> > relay).
> > Then I ran the Terminal Services Client, and used it to run applications
> > on the W2000, accessing my databases located on the SBS 4.5.

> > I didn't found any problem running this configuration. This was just a
> > quick test, and I planned to do further testing later, but this seems
> > to be an interesting solution... SBS does not complain at all, as soon
> > as the W2000 is seen as a 'standalone' server !

> > Good testings,
> > Toussaint.

> > Toussaint OTTAVI (MEDI Informatique)
> > Tel: (+33) 495 20 10 03 - Fax: (+33) 495 22 32 60

1. Problems running Terminal Server with Win 2000 server and SBS 2000

SBS can be the licensing server, no problem.

SBS does support TS, it's just a very very bad idea.

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

2. Windows 2000 Loading Problem - help - help - help

3. Inplace Upgrade Win SBS 4.5 -> Win SBS 2000

4. How to shade area between two lines

5. SBS 4.5 - Windows 2000 Terminal Server Configuration Problem

6. Moneyside problems...

7. Migrate from SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 server + Exchange 2000 (NOT SBS 2000).

8. sbs 4.5 and Terminal Server 2000 - fax setup

9. Win 2000 Server & SQL 2000 Server vs. SBS 2000

10. Upgrade SBS 4.5 to Win 2000 Server

11. How to add a Win 2000 Pro client to SBS 4.5 server?

12. SBS 4.5 and Win 2000 Server coexist?