Upgrade 4.5 -> 2000 Questions

Post by Hywel Burri » Tue, 02 Oct 2001 19:05:53

I am looking to do the migration of 4.5 -> 2000 on a new server as per the
following articles

SBS: How to Upgrade SBS 4.x to SBS 2000 on a New Computer (Part 1 of 2)
(Q278439)
SBS: How to Upgrade SBS 4.x to SBS 2000 on a New Computer (Part 2 of 2)
(Q290603)

My question are as follows:-

Does the upgrade software installation of SBS2000 require 4.5 to be loaded
first?
Has anyone had any issues following the above?
What would one normally charge for a migration to a new Dell PE2500 server
with RAID?

Thanks in advance

Hywel

Upgrade 4.5 -> 2000 Questions

Post by pilo » Tue, 02 Oct 2001 15:05:13

Hi Hywell,

Your choices in moving to new hardware and upgrading OS are setup up the new
hardware as a BDC(NT4), promote it and then continue with setting up SBS2K.
On the other hand why not set the whole thing up afresh? In the latter case
read this as an opportunity to banish old demons!

Having just completed one on a PE2500 was pretty painless in the first
instance though having run the system for a couple of weeks now SBS2K I now
realise you can setup 30 users etc on a new/fresh install in no time
compared to 4.5.

On the other hand, upgrading the server is only half the story! Depending on
your client machines' OS etc and how users are setup you may wish to upgrade
rather than begin afresh. Even so I spent twice as long sorting the client
side out (having previously upgraded to W2K Professional and set up roaming
profiles before the migration/upgrade).

In setting up the new server it is difficult to estimate how long because I
have not strictly completed the job. Every thing apart from the SMTP(Demon)
inbound mail is functioning. Whereas this worked up until the moment I
migrated the system to SBS2K, the new beast simply will no do it. It could
be ISA and after exhaustive investigation this is still not satisfactory.

Overall, setting up the PE2500, RAID5>SBS2K etc took approximately 6 hours.
Setting up several modems etc..and getting to what the system provided
previously is clocking in at 30+ hours.

Piloo

Quote:> I am looking to do the migration of 4.5 -> 2000 on a new server as per the
> following articles

> SBS: How to Upgrade SBS 4.x to SBS 2000 on a New Computer (Part 1 of 2)
> (Q278439)
> SBS: How to Upgrade SBS 4.x to SBS 2000 on a New Computer (Part 2 of 2)
> (Q290603)

> My question are as follows:-

> Does the upgrade software installation of SBS2000 require 4.5 to be loaded
> first?
> Has anyone had any issues following the above?
> What would one normally charge for a migration to a new Dell PE2500 server
> with RAID?

> Thanks in advance

> Hywel

Upgrade 4.5 -> 2000 Questions

Post by SBS-MV » Tue, 02 Oct 2001 21:12:39

No, if you are upgrading on a new machine, you simply have to have the original media available.

Now if your 4.5 media is the upgrade from 4.0 then you need the 4.0 media

--
Cris Hanna (SBS - MVP)
Please only repond to the NG and not to my email so that all may benefit from the information

  I am looking to do the migration of 4.5 -> 2000 on a new server as per the
  following articles

  SBS: How to Upgrade SBS 4.x to SBS 2000 on a New Computer (Part 1 of 2)
  (Q278439)
  SBS: How to Upgrade SBS 4.x to SBS 2000 on a New Computer (Part 2 of 2)
  (Q290603)

  My question are as follows:-

  Does the upgrade software installation of SBS2000 require 4.5 to be loaded
  first?
  Has anyone had any issues following the above?
  What would one normally charge for a migration to a new Dell PE2500 server
  with RAID?

  Thanks in advance

  Hywel

Upgrade 4.5 -> 2000 Questions

Post by Hywel Burri » Tue, 02 Oct 2001 22:26:19

Thanks Chris.

[...]

Post by pilo » Wed, 03 Oct 2001 04:50:22

Well, it must depend. I can say for certain that an Upgrade Advantage version does not require the original media. There may be others which do require the original disks. If you have already purchased an upgrade try it out on a spare workstation and check it out for yourself. BTW don't discard that Linux box yet:)

Regards

Piloo

  Thanks Chris.

[...]

No I won't get rid of the linux box, its our router as i have a couple of other servers internet side. The long term plan will probally be to get rid of SBS and use Linux for everything that faces the internet (just waiting for me to get confident enough!!!!)