Have SBS 4.5 and want to go to 2000 server

Have SBS 4.5 and want to go to 2000 server

Post by firewir » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

We currently have a server with SBS 4.5 on it.  Unfortunately, because I'm
afraid of the options, our domain is going to become part of our parent
company's WAN.  Which, at this point, means creating a trust between domains
(apparently not possible with SBS).  So what I'm left with are questions
about what my options are.  Is there going to be an upgrade path from SBS
4.5 to W2K server?  If not, then would I have to wipe the current server and
replace OS with W2K server?  I do have the opportunity to obtain a new
server with W2K server, but I would want the new server to be the PDC (not
sure if that is possible with SBS).  Basically, I need to implement W2K
server to make the Trust happen between the domains.  Preferrably with W2K.
Thanks so much for any experience you all can provide.
Dean Huckstep

Have SBS 4.5 and want to go to 2000 server

Post by SBS-MV » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

There is a specific upgrade from SBS 4.5 to the full retail version of NT which would then allow you to establish trusts.
      Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
      UPG with 25 CALs 227-01375 $639.00

http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusinessserver/productinfo/pricing.htm#...

This is the simplest way to go.  All other components of SBS would work the way they do now.

  We currently have a server with SBS 4.5 on it.  Unfortunately, because I'm
  afraid of the options, our domain is going to become part of our parent
  company's WAN.  Which, at this point, means creating a trust between domains
  (apparently not possible with SBS).  So what I'm left with are questions
  about what my options are.  Is there going to be an upgrade path from SBS
  4.5 to W2K server?  If not, then would I have to wipe the current server and
  replace OS with W2K server?  I do have the opportunity to obtain a new
  server with W2K server, but I would want the new server to be the PDC (not
  sure if that is possible with SBS).  Basically, I need to implement W2K
  server to make the Trust happen between the domains.  Preferrably with W2K.
  Thanks so much for any experience you all can provide.
  Dean Huckstep

1. Migrate from SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 server + Exchange 2000 (NOT SBS 2000).

Please forgive the cross-posting, but I'm not seeing that my question falls
neatly into any particular newsgroup. Also, please forgive if this is an
FAQ.

I have the difficult task of migrating a client from his current setup --
SBS 4.5 with about 9 users -- to a new setup, Windows 2000 server(s) and
Exchange 2000. My client does not use all the other features of SBS 4.5, and
so believes that upgrading to SBS 2000 is not the right thing to do. He is
intent on going to the more modular and flexible Windows 2k server and and
Exchange 2000 installation.

The wrinkle here, of course, is that he wishes to do a direct migration of
current usernames/profiles and Exchange 5.5 mailboxes to the new setup of
Windows 2000 (presumably with AD) and Exchange 2000. I've seen that there
are various whitepapers on the SBS site for upgrading to SBS 2k, but haven't
come across my particular situation.

Might some kind soul direct me to some URL or other that could get me
started?

2. Games for Internet - Internet Applications.

3. Upgrade to Windows 2000 (NOT SBS 2000) Server from SBS 4.5

4. need help help........Texbox of user form

5. SBS 4.5 Server Issues with anything having to do with the internet acces from server

6. Accents for Calligraphi font

7. going from SBS 2000 to Windows 2000 Server

8. terminal server/Windows 2000 server

9. Migration from SBS 4.5 to a new server and SBS 2000

10. SBS 4.5 (Exchange 5.5) -- up to -- SBS 2000 (Exchange 2000)

11. Time to Migrate Upgrade from SBS 4.5 to SBS 2000 on new server

12. Upgrade from SBS 4.5 to SBS 2000 on same server.

13. Is SBS 2000 Fax Server superior to SBS 4.5?