DHCP Manager doesn't show lease

Post by Laurence Shar » Wed, 07 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have a small network running SBS.   IP addresses are allocated via
DHCP.

Most of the client machines run Windows 95, although 2 are running
Windows NT 4 Workstation.

Yesterday I had a problem as one of the Windows 95 machines, a laptop
which had not been attached to the network for quite a while, tried to
lease an IP address that was already allocated to one of the NT
Workstations.   Checking in DHCP Manager I found that the address in
question didn't show up, so clearly the DHCP server thought the address
was available.

The workstation hadn't been used for a few days so my assumptions were
that

        1) The lease had expired so the DHCP server returned it to the
pool
        2) For some reason the DHCP server was not available when the NT
Workstation was booted, so the workstation used the address it had
previously had.

As a temporary fix I gave the Windows 95 machine a static IP address, so
it could be used.

This morning I switched on the NT Workstation and ran 'ipconfig
/release'.   I then booted the Win95 machine and set it back to getting
its IP address from the DHCP server.   On rebooting it leased the
address that had been in dispute.   I then went to the NT Workstation
and ran 'ipconfig /renew' and it leased a different address.

However, when I looked in DHCP manager, although the Win95 machine
showed up correctly, the NT Workstation did not appear, nor did its IP
address.

At the moment this is not causing a problem, but it could well do if
another machine's lease expires and it tries to lease a new IP number.

Has anybody experienced this sort of problem?   Any advice?

Thanks

Laurence Sharp

1. Client doesn't show up as 'SMS Client' on SMS Server console

Hello,

I added a windows NT system as a client to my server by
running smsman.exe. The client found the server and
installed all the components I selected. But on the server
it shows up as non-client.

Even though it shows up as a non client, it did collect
the hardware inventory the day I manually added the system
to SMS Server. So, my guess is some point after the
initial install, the client went outside SMS Server focus.
How do I figure out what went wrong?

Sundar

2. local bus

3. Samba-server doesn't show up in 'Network Neighborhood'

4. REMINDER: The Computer Science Bibliography Collection

5. Win95 'map network drive at logon' doesn't work when I use DHCP?

6. ISDN solution for Warp Connect Fullpack?

7. Linux box doesn't show up in WinNT PDC's Network Neighborhood

8. Is there is a Warp4 Fixpack#2?

9. New Users doesn't show up in add to computer list.

10. Console "Tasks" doesn't show

11. Setup computer wizard doesn't show user names.

12. Managing computers doesn't show computers

13. Remote admin console doesn't show up all the way