Windows 2000 Prof client on SBS 4.5 unable to add Network Printer HP 1120C

Windows 2000 Prof client on SBS 4.5 unable to add Network Printer HP 1120C

Post by Gordon McLeo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Has anyone experienced this and how does one resolve it?  Also, will a
printer with Windows 2000 drivers work for Windows NT 4.0 Workstation and
other SBS 4.5 clients?

A local HP1120C can be setup using the Windows 2000 Prof CD and works fine.

The adding of an SBS 4.5 Network HP1120C printer on a net port results in a
message indicating driver version is invalid.  Downloading the latest HP
driver doesn't improve anything and trying to get the driver from the
Windows 2000 Prof CD doesn't work.

Gordon

Windows 2000 Prof client on SBS 4.5 unable to add Network Printer HP 1120C

Post by Jeff Middleto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I've been extremely unhappy with the multi-user network functions of this
printer.

I've got it working, but HP should be ashamed.  I wouldn't recommend this
printer to anyone.

Quote:> Has anyone experienced this and how does one resolve it?  Also, will a
> printer with Windows 2000 drivers work for Windows NT 4.0 Workstation and
> other SBS 4.5 clients?

> A local HP1120C can be setup using the Windows 2000 Prof CD and works
fine.

> The adding of an SBS 4.5 Network HP1120C printer on a net port results in
> message indicating driver version is invalid.  Downloading the latest HP
> driver doesn't improve anything and trying to get the driver from the
> Windows 2000 Prof CD doesn't work.

> Gordon

Windows 2000 Prof client on SBS 4.5 unable to add Network Printer HP 1120C

Post by Gordon McLeo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am sorry to hear that you have been unhappy with the multi-user aspects of
this printer.

I found this in one of the other newsgroups.

> Tell your Win2k machine that you are setting up a local printer....choose
> New Port...type:Local port....when it asks for a port name, type in the
UNC
> path to the network printer...ie: \\ServerName\PrinterName. then pick the
> printer from the list and install the Win2k driver locally....it will
print
> to the network printer.....kinda kludgy, but it works! :)

> > I have recently got a new computer and I got windows 2000, the rest of
our
> > network is still on windows NT.  When I try to hook up the network
printer
> > (it is connected to the server) I get a message that the driver is not
the
> > latest and to update it.  When I try to updated it still doesn't work.
> > went to the HP site and they don't have a driver for Windows 2000.  If I
> > hook it up directly to my computer it works, since the driver is on the
> > windows 2000 CD. Is there any way that I can grab the driver and from my
> > windows 2000 CD and install it on  the Server ( which runs on NT).

> > Thanks

> I've been extremely unhappy with the multi-user network functions of this
> printer.

> I've got it working, but HP should be ashamed.  I wouldn't recommend this
> printer to anyone.

> > Has anyone experienced this and how does one resolve it?  Also, will a
> > printer with Windows 2000 drivers work for Windows NT 4.0 Workstation
and
> > other SBS 4.5 clients?

> > A local HP1120C can be setup using the Windows 2000 Prof CD and works
> fine.

> > The adding of an SBS 4.5 Network HP1120C printer on a net port results
in
> > message indicating driver version is invalid.  Downloading the latest HP
> > driver doesn't improve anything and trying to get the driver from the
> > Windows 2000 Prof CD doesn't work.

> > Gordon

Windows 2000 Prof client on SBS 4.5 unable to add Network Printer HP 1120C

Post by Jeff Middleto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks Gordon,

That's pretty much what I have going.  My complaints about the product are
that I sold it to a customer for an AutoCAD application on the basis that HP
says you can use it with AutoCAD.  Turns out, they mean you can use the
Windows drivers, no direct support in AutoCAD for the printer.  Okay, fine,
I guess you tell the end users that they have to learn how to print and do
print configuration for both the Autocad plot specific issues and then the
printer defaults for Windows two, master the pen mapping for both, etc.

So you go to deploy it in a room with a dozen NT stations.  Set the printer
up on the server.  Figure you are going to each station to double tap on the
shared printer to get the NT printer setup, right?  Wrong, you don't get a
working install.  So you copy the CD to the server, map a share to the
source files and figure you will run the setup from each station off the
shared resource, right?  Wrong, the installation won't work from a remote
drive.  So you cart the CD to every station.  Now it installs the printer
driver so it works correctly, and about 15,000 other BS utilities and
applications I don't care about.  Okay, you disable the install and skip
these on the rest of the stations.  Finally, you have the setup working from
every station.  Now you go to the couple of Windows 95 stations to also
configure it to print from lightweight AutoCAD use and printing pictures.
Do the install thing.

Finally, you have all the stations loaded with drivers.  You try a test
print from NT and it works find.  Try a print from 95 and it sucks.  You
fiddle with all the settings, spend an afternoon and in the end you
determine that it's really hard to configure the server printer settings to
get the same level performance from both Win9x and WinNT stations at the
same time with a single printer installation.  What you really need is to
install the printer twice, one for the Win9x clients, one for the WinNT
clients.  Only problem is this thing doesn't have a processor, or at least
it relies on host based processing to some degree and this is a problem to
install twice on the same box.  Not to mention that it periodically locks up
the server when the printer queue gets fussy.

Finally, you decide to call HP tech support for more explanation of why you
are having such a miserable time with this 11x17 color inkjet in an Autocad
environment and they explain that they really don't recommend this printer
for use with Autocad.  Well, I'm gonna tell you that I've setup a lot of
printers in my life and this one needs to be adopted as a crippled orphan
because I've never seen anything from HP as bad as the overall product
design of this product.  Yes it prints nice quality, yes it's okay for a
single user, yes it's okay for either WinNT or Win95 but don't go near it
otherwise if you don't want to be disappointed.  It might sound like it but
I'm really not that hard to get along with on such matters, but it needs a
warning label to indicate "not recommend for workgroup or Autocad use".  If
you think I'm being harsh, I'm actually just quoting HP technical support
after I bought it based upon the descriptions provided on their website.

> I am sorry to hear that you have been unhappy with the multi-user aspects
of
> this printer.

> I found this in one of the other newsgroups.

> > Tell your Win2k machine that you are setting up a local
printer....choose
> > New Port...type:Local port....when it asks for a port name, type in the
> UNC
> > path to the network printer...ie: \\ServerName\PrinterName. then pick
the
> > printer from the list and install the Win2k driver locally....it will
> print
> > to the network printer.....kinda kludgy, but it works! :)

> > > I have recently got a new computer and I got windows 2000, the rest of
> our
> > > network is still on windows NT.  When I try to hook up the network
> printer
> > > (it is connected to the server) I get a message that the driver is not
> the
> > > latest and to update it.  When I try to updated it still doesn't work.
> > > went to the HP site and they don't have a driver for Windows 2000.  If
> > > hook it up directly to my computer it works, since the driver is on
the
> > > windows 2000 CD. Is there any way that I can grab the driver and from
my
> > > windows 2000 CD and install it on  the Server ( which runs on NT).

> > > Thanks

> > I've been extremely unhappy with the multi-user network functions of
this
> > printer.

> > I've got it working, but HP should be ashamed.  I wouldn't recommend
this
> > printer to anyone.

> > > Has anyone experienced this and how does one resolve it?  Also, will a
> > > printer with Windows 2000 drivers work for Windows NT 4.0 Workstation
> and
> > > other SBS 4.5 clients?

> > > A local HP1120C can be setup using the Windows 2000 Prof CD and works
> > fine.

> > > The adding of an SBS 4.5 Network HP1120C printer on a net port results
> in
> > > message indicating driver version is invalid.  Downloading the latest
HP
> > > driver doesn't improve anything and trying to get the driver from the
> > > Windows 2000 Prof CD doesn't work.

> > > Gordon

Windows 2000 Prof client on SBS 4.5 unable to add Network Printer HP 1120C

Post by Larry Struckmeye » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi Jeff, et. al.

This reminds me of my current disappointment with HP, over the use of
external jet direct with 2000 series color printers.

(Or my almost forgotten angst over a 650C plotter that will not
print with either an internal or an external, regardless of what
HP support tries, but prints fine over a 30' serial cable.)

I have spent more time than I like to think about with HP phone support
going from printer group to jet direct group to second level support
and back.  The position at the moment is that "it works, but it is not
supported", whatever that means.  Sounds like a defective bra factory.

I beat up on them enough that they sent me an internal jet direct for
the customer.  When I had the exact same issues, they finally undid
all the configs they had done, removed all the drivers, re installed,
tweaked some settings, and now it is working, but with the internal,
not the external.  If you look in the configuration manual that HP
prints, it actually does not list the external and the 2000 C series
as compatible, but it does not say incompatible.  Strange.

For a combination of products that is supposed to be "ease of use" and
ease of admin, this is not my idea of a walk in the park.

Jeff, and anyone else with these problems, you have my sympathy.

Larry