Proxy Service failed to initialize on SBS 4.5

Proxy Service failed to initialize on SBS 4.5

Post by Pat Roone » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have been trying to get the Proxy service to run on a Compaq Proliant 800
server with 256Mb RAM but keep getting the above error message. If I reboot
often enough, the service will start and work fine until the next reboot. I
have checked the permissions on the URLCACHE folder, checked for missing
files and have loads of disk space.

Last weekend I wiped the drives and reinstalled, but it has made no
difference. Trying to start the service manually give me a message about the
WWW needing to be stopped first, but Proxy still will not start.

Help!

Pat Rooney

Proxy Service failed to initialize on SBS 4.5

Post by Grey Lancaster [MS MVP » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

If no one gives a better soulution, I woul run setup on cd2 and uninstall
the option pack. Then uninstall proxy.  Reboot in between and afterwards.
Then run add remove software, sbs, and let it reinstall the ioption pack and
P2

--
Grey
MVP SBS

Quote:> I have been trying to get the Proxy service to run on a Compaq Proliant
800
> server with 256Mb RAM but keep getting the above error message. If I
reboot
> often enough, the service will start and work fine until the next reboot.
> have checked the permissions on the URLCACHE folder, checked for missing
> files and have loads of disk space.

> Last weekend I wiped the drives and reinstalled, but it has made no
> difference. Trying to start the service manually give me a message about
the
> WWW needing to be stopped first, but Proxy still will not start.

> Help!

> Pat Rooney

Proxy Service failed to initialize on SBS 4.5

Post by Pat Roone » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Grey,

I did that initially and it seemed to work  - however the next time the
server was rebooted we were back where we started! At that stage I scheduled
last Sunday for a complete reinstall which also allowed me to tidy up a few
things on the server. The reinstall went exactly according to plan, but
proxy server only starts after 1 in 5 reboots approx.

The only other action I have taken is to install Proxy Server SP1 even
though the fix list did not mention my problem......clutching at straws
springs to mind! It didn't work.

I have cross posted this to the proxy newsgroup and found one other person
with exactly the same problem. If I make any progress, I will keep you
informed.

Thanks,

Pat Rooney MCSE MCT CASE

> If no one gives a better soulution, I woul run setup on cd2 and uninstall
> the option pack. Then uninstall proxy.  Reboot in between and afterwards.
> Then run add remove software, sbs, and let it reinstall the ioption pack
and
> P2

> --
> Grey
> MVP SBS
> http://web.infoave.net/~solutions/sbs.htm  SBS FAQ/TIPS
> http://www.smallbizserver.com:8080/  SBS WebBoard
> Set NetMeeting to use www.smallbizserver.com as your directory locator
> service
> http://web.infoave.net/~solutions/list.htm  For the SBS Listserv
> instructions

> > I have been trying to get the Proxy service to run on a Compaq Proliant
> 800
> > server with 256Mb RAM but keep getting the above error message. If I
> reboot
> > often enough, the service will start and work fine until the next
reboot.
> > have checked the permissions on the URLCACHE folder, checked for missing
> > files and have loads of disk space.

> > Last weekend I wiped the drives and reinstalled, but it has made no
> > difference. Trying to start the service manually give me a message about
> the
> > WWW needing to be stopped first, but Proxy still will not start.

> > Help!

> > Pat Rooney

Proxy Service failed to initialize on SBS 4.5

Post by andy.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

tryrtyrty
rt
On Thu, 26 Aug 1999 11:38:49 +0100, "Pat Rooney"