Upgrading from SBS 4.5 to full Windows 2000/Exchange 2000???

Upgrading from SBS 4.5 to full Windows 2000/Exchange 2000???

Post by Kremla » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 23:23:46

Currently running SBS 4.5 with 45 client licenses.  Looking to purchase new server hardware
and upgrade to 2000 version products.  Since user license is almost at 50, I'd like to go to full
versions of Windows 2000 Server and Exchange 2000 - don't currently use ISA server, SQL
or Fax.

Microsoft Open Licensing is telling me I need to purchase all new licenses from scratch which
seems kind of crazy (and expensive).

There seems to be a reasonably priced upgrade from SBS 4.5 to SBS 2000, and then a
Migration Pack to go to full versions of 2000.  However, I really want to do a clean install
and not go through hoops to try and migrate everything over.  Also, I can't seem to find a
part number or price on the Migration Pack anywhere..

Anyone have any recommendations, licensing wise?

Any pushes in the right direction would be appreciated.  :)

Upgrading from SBS 4.5 to full Windows 2000/Exchange 2000???

Post by Jeff Middleton [SBS MVP » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 13:17:41

Last Oct, MS implemented the start of the new plan. MS has emphasized the
bright side (marketing) that you "still have a change to take advantage of
upgrades at a lower price". This is the polite way to say MS is raising
prices. Period.

Upgrade products basically don't exist anymore. Between no and July 31,
there may still be an in-product upgrade.

For you situation, I hate to say it, you have determined what your options
are. You must buy the .NET product from scratch, or you upgrade the SBS and
do the Migration Pack. Period.  The Migration Pack is probably your best
option.

As for the technical upgrade question. Buy whatever you need to buy, you
will be able to make the upgrade install. Either the media will install
without verifcation, or your SBS media will be requested. However, MS did
not require painful process to do W2K installs. You can do an inplace
upgrade as easily as a scratch install in most cases.

Ultimately, the option to do a BDC upgrade remains, but I don't believe you
will even need to do that if you prefer to upgrade the PDC.

Quote:> Currently running SBS 4.5 with 45 client licenses.  Looking to purchase
new server hardware
> and upgrade to 2000 version products.  Since user license is almost at 50,

I'd like to go to full
Quote:> versions of Windows 2000 Server and Exchange 2000 - don't currently use
ISA server, SQL
> or Fax.

> Microsoft Open Licensing is telling me I need to purchase all new licenses
from scratch which
> seems kind of crazy (and expensive).

> There seems to be a reasonably priced upgrade from SBS 4.5 to SBS 2000,
and then a
> Migration Pack to go to full versions of 2000.  However, I really want to
do a clean install
> and not go through hoops to try and migrate everything over.  Also, I

can't seem to find a
Quote:> part number or price on the Migration Pack anywhere..

> Anyone have any recommendations, licensing wise?

> Any pushes in the right direction would be appreciated.  :)

Upgrading from SBS 4.5 to full Windows 2000/Exchange 2000???

Post by Steve Foster [SBS MVP » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 20:57:17

From http://www.microsoft.com/sbserver/howtobuy/production.asp :

Migration Pack E75-00466 $3789 US

The Migration Pack is only available as a retail item, not Open Licence.

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
--------------------------

> Currently running SBS 4.5 with 45 client licenses.  Looking to
purchase
> new server hardware and upgrade to 2000 version products.  Since user
> license is almost at 50, I'd like to go to full versions of Windows
2000
> Server and Exchange 2000 - don't currently use ISA server, SQL or Fax.

> Microsoft Open Licensing is telling me I need to purchase all new
> licenses from scratch which seems kind of crazy (and expensive).

> There seems to be a reasonably priced upgrade from SBS 4.5 to SBS
2000,
> and then a Migration Pack to go to full versions of 2000.  However, I
> really want to do a clean install and not go through hoops to try and
> migrate everything over.  Also, I can't seem to find a part number or
> price on the Migration Pack anywhere..

> Anyone have any recommendations, licensing wise?

> Any pushes in the right direction would be appreciated.  :)

1. Migrate from SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 server + Exchange 2000 (NOT SBS 2000).

Please forgive the cross-posting, but I'm not seeing that my question falls
neatly into any particular newsgroup. Also, please forgive if this is an
FAQ.

I have the difficult task of migrating a client from his current setup --
SBS 4.5 with about 9 users -- to a new setup, Windows 2000 server(s) and
Exchange 2000. My client does not use all the other features of SBS 4.5, and
so believes that upgrading to SBS 2000 is not the right thing to do. He is
intent on going to the more modular and flexible Windows 2k server and and
Exchange 2000 installation.

The wrinkle here, of course, is that he wishes to do a direct migration of
current usernames/profiles and Exchange 5.5 mailboxes to the new setup of
Windows 2000 (presumably with AD) and Exchange 2000. I've seen that there
are various whitepapers on the SBS site for upgrading to SBS 2k, but haven't
come across my particular situation.

Might some kind soul direct me to some URL or other that could get me
started?

2. OO Interrupt Service Routines

3. How to upgrade SBS 4.5 to full version of Windows 2000

4. Option 11C Mini

5. Upgrade to Windows 2000 (NOT SBS 2000) Server from SBS 4.5

6. using/installing SSL

7. Migrating SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 Server using Windows NT 4 full version

8. yahoo messenger

9. Installing a Windows 2000 Server (SBS 2000) with Exchange 2000 on a Windows NT Network

10. SBS 4.5 -> SBS 2000 - Testing Full System Restore Before Upgrade

11. SBS 4.5 (Exchange 5.5) -- up to -- SBS 2000 (Exchange 2000)

12. Upgrade SBS 2000 trial to SBS 2000 full version

13. Can Windows 2000 SP2 and Exchange 2000 SP 1 work with SBS 2000 ?