Understanding a Memory Dump

Post by dougla » Fri, 04 Jan 2002 04:38:53

One of our W2K workstations shuts off for no reason about once a week, and
in the event log it shows that a dump file was created.  How do I find out
what is causing this?:

Thanks
Douglas

Understanding a Memory Dump

Post by Susan Bradley, CPA aka » Fri, 04 Jan 2002 05:59:41

What time is this occuring?  What is running on that machine?  What else is
occurring at that time in the event viewer?  Open the dump file see if there
are error codes 0x0.....etc....do a search in google.....you would be amazed
at how many people have sites that discuss error codes.

Susan b.

> One of our W2K workstations shuts off for no reason about once a week, and
> in the event log it shows that a dump file was created.  How do I find out
> what is causing this?:

> Thanks
> Douglas

1. Excellent Info on how to understand the Blue Screen Server Crashes & Memory Dumps

The following is information kindly provided by Chris Staples in response
to a question I asked him about how to interpret and try and solve Blue
Screen of Death (BSOD) Server crashes and the resulting Memory Dump.

I asked by email direct rather than through the newsgroup.  He responded
with the following and requested in future I do this through the newsgroup
for everyone's benefit.  Quite correct.  I entirely agree and promised to
"publish" it.

My question was:

you kindly posted some info in response to my plea for help on a crashing
SBS.  At the end you said that ms knowledgebase has info on how
to read the BSOD and the memory dump.  I did a number of searches but
couldn't see anything that I could decipher as being what I needed.  I
saw two articles about .exe's that checked the memory dump, one called
Kernel Debugger but I don't know where to get this or what is does.

Is there any chance you could email me with further clues as to how to read
a memory dump.  I have one saved from a few days ago which should
show what tripped the server over but I don't know how to dig this info
out.

Chris's reply was:

Dumpexam is on disk 1 of the SBS in the following dir :
support\debug\i386.

It is complicated to use, so make sure you read all on the documentation
first.

As for the BSOD try this link.
http://www.winntmag.com/magazine/article.cfm?ArticleID=3396

Also try this link:
http://www.winntmag.com/magazine/Article.cfm?IssueID=26&ArticleID=301

Thanks Chris

GERRY

2. Bios Disk Programming

3. ** NT - Physical Memory Dump **

4. Epson Stylus 600

5. memory dump

6. ADVERTISE TO OVER 100 MILLION PEOPLE FOR FREE!!!

7. Bugcheck and memory dump

8. How to disable kermit's key-strokes?

9. Critical errors with in Health Monitor and Memory Dump

10. ** NT - Physical Memory Dump **

11. MEMORY DUMP

12. Memory Dump Question

13. PHYSICAL MEMORY DUMP - BSOD