urgent smtp server settings question

Post by Michae » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 01:17:41

Hello,

I urgently need to know how (where exactly this setting is) to allow only
internal IP's to use the default smtp server to prevent abusers of using it.
I have closed open relays, but my ISP blocked me saying that the spammers
are still using my server...pulling hair off here...

thanks,

Mike

---
Odchdzajca sprva neobsahuje vrusy.
Skontrolovan antivrusovym systmom AVG (http://www.grisoft.cz).
Verzia: 6.0.435 / Vrusov databza: 244 - dtum vydania: 30. 12. 2002

urgent smtp server settings question

Post by Squeake » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 01:56:08

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324958

Quote:> Hello,

> I urgently need to know how (where exactly this setting is) to allow only
> internal IP's to use the default smtp server to prevent abusers of using
it.
> I have closed open relays, but my ISP blocked me saying that the spammers
> are still using my server...pulling hair off here...

> thanks,

> Mike

> ---
> Odchdzajca sprva neobsahuje vrusy.
> Skontrolovan antivrusovym systmom AVG (http://www.grisoft.cz).
> Verzia: 6.0.435 / Vrusov databza: 244 - dtum vydania: 30. 12. 2002

urgent smtp server settings question

Post by Les Connor [SBS MVP » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 01:54:48

Hi Michael,

Yes. But the 324958 is *specifically* for sbs, so follow that one :-).

--
Les Connor
------------------

Quote:> I must look like moron here, but I'm confused because MS Q324958 article
> tells that in an relay setting computers granted should be my server's
> internal IP address. I'm not sure about external IP (we have one NIC) and
on
> the other hand, the article at
> http://www.msexchange.org/pages/article.asp?id=54

> says (or shows) that relay settings should be "only the list below" and it
> is empty.

> Thx,
> Mike

> ---
> Odchdzajca sprva neobsahuje vrusy.
> Skontrolovan antivrusovym systmom AVG (http://www.grisoft.cz).
> Verzia: 6.0.435 / Vrusov databza: 244 - dtum vydania: 30. 12. 2002

urgent smtp server settings question

Post by Squeake » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 01:59:53

sorry, read your other post

the setting is located in exchange->protocols->smtp->smtp virtual server,
right click on the virtual server and hit properties, then click on the
access tab, there is a relay button.

By default, the internal LAN scope and the external IP are there.  You
really dont need anything there, except ONLY THE LIST BELOW and the
*successfully authenticate* box CHECKED at the bottom.

btw, 550 means relaying denied, which is a good thing.

Quote:> Hello,

> I urgently need to know how (where exactly this setting is) to allow only
> internal IP's to use the default smtp server to prevent abusers of using
it.
> I have closed open relays, but my ISP blocked me saying that the spammers
> are still using my server...pulling hair off here...

> thanks,

> Mike

> ---
> Odchdzajca sprva neobsahuje vrusy.
> Skontrolovan antivrusovym systmom AVG (http://www.grisoft.cz).
> Verzia: 6.0.435 / Vrusov databza: 244 - dtum vydania: 30. 12. 2002

urgent smtp server settings question

Post by Michae » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 02:03:59

All right. So - last point - I have one NIC, internal IP, and and there's
also external ip address (proxy, owa, website etc). should I include that
address also to the "granted" list? (confused about sentence "and to the
external IP address (if the server has more than one network card.)
thank you...
M.

Quote:> Hi Michael,

> Yes. But the 324958 is *specifically* for sbs, so follow that one :-).

> --
> Les Connor
> ------------------

---

Post by Michae » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 02:04:18

All right. So - last point - I have one NIC, internal IP, and and there's
also external ip address (proxy, owa, website etc). should I include that
address also to the "granted" list? (confused about sentence "and to the
external IP address (if the server has more than one network card.)
thank you...
M.

Quote:> Hi Michael,

> Yes. But the 324958 is *specifically* for sbs, so follow that one :-).

> --
> Les Connor
> ------------------

---
Odchdzajca sprva neobsahuje vrusy.
Skontrolovan antivrusovym systmom AVG (http://www.grisoft.cz).
Verzia: 6.0.435 / Vrusov databza: 244 - dtum vydania: 30. 12. 2002

urgent smtp server settings question

Post by Les Connor [SBS MVP » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 01:31:19

Hi Michael,

Mariette gave you the *entire* answer, with the document link she posted. If
you follow that, then you will not be an open relay.

--
Les Connor
------------------

Quote:> Hello,

Post by Michae » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 01:46:37

I must look like moron here, but I'm confused because MS Q324958 article
tells that in an relay setting computers granted should be my server's
internal IP address. I'm not sure about external IP (we have one NIC) and on
the other hand, the article at
http://www.msexchange.org/pages/article.asp?id=54

says (or shows) that relay settings should be "only the list below" and it
is empty.

Thx,
Mike

---
Odchdzajca sprva neobsahuje vrusy.
Skontrolovan antivrusovym systmom AVG (http://www.grisoft.cz).
Verzia: 6.0.435 / Vrusov databza: 244 - dtum vydania: 30. 12. 2002

urgent smtp server settings question

Post by Michae » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 03:26:23

OK, my last post.....

I've managed to get it right - it seems all is ok....HOWEVER, I cannot
telnet to the port 25. I have connection and relay restrictions set to
intranet scope IP's only. Is this the cause?

MikE

---
Odchdzajca sprva neobsahuje vrusy.
Skontrolovan antivrusovym systmom AVG (http://www.grisoft.cz).
Verzia: 6.0.435 / Vrusov databza: 244 - dtum vydania: 30. 12. 2002

urgent smtp server settings question

Post by Michae » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 04:05:00

THANKS MUCH, OK, my last post.....

I've managed to get it right - it seems all is ok....HOWEVER, I cannot
telnet to the port 25. I have connection and relay restrictions set to
intranet scope IP's only. Is this the cause?

MikE

Quote:> sorry, read your other post

> the setting is located in exchange->protocols->smtp->smtp virtual server,
> right click on the virtual server and hit properties, then click on the
> access tab, there is a relay button.

---
Odchdzajca sprva neobsahuje vrusy.
Skontrolovan antivrusovym systmom AVG (http://www.grisoft.cz).
Verzia: 6.0.435 / Vrusov databza: 244 - dtum vydania: 30. 12. 2002

urgent smtp server settings question

Post by John Buscher [MSFT » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 04:34:01

Michael,

Yes that could be the reason you can't telnet to it as it's only accepting
connections from certain IP #'s.
Otherwise you may still need to re-run the ICW (internet connection wizard
on the TODO list) and select the filters for mail server.   Also it may not
be your ISA settings.  If you re-run the ICW and you still can't connect.
Try disabling the ISA services and reboot. If you can connect then it's an
ISA issue. If you can't it may be a router issues etc.
Also make sure the SMTP service in bound to either all IP addresses or the
External NIC's IP address.
You can see this in the properties of the SMTP Virtual Server.

Please let me know if this resolves your problem or if you have additional
questions.

I look forward to hearing from you.

-John

John Buscher
Microsoft Online Support Engineer
SBS MVP Lead

from your issue.
--------------------

>Subject: Re: urgent smtp server settings question
>Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 20:05:00 +0100

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000

>THANKS MUCH, OK, my last post.....

>I've managed to get it right - it seems all is ok....HOWEVER, I cannot
>telnet to the port 25. I have connection and relay restrictions set to
>intranet scope IP's only. Is this the cause?

>MikE

>> sorry, read your other post

>> the setting is located in exchange->protocols->smtp->smtp virtual server,
>> right click on the virtual server and hit properties, then click on the
>> access tab, there is a relay button.

>---
>Odchdzajca sprva neobsahuje vrusy.
>Skontrolovan antivrusovym systmom AVG (http://www.grisoft.cz).
>Verzia: 6.0.435 / Vrusov databza: 244 - dtum vydania: 30. 12. 2002

1. Setting up SMTP E-Mail on Exchange Server 5.5

Hi all - I am in the process of switching from POP3 e-mail to SMTP e-mail on
our Exchange Server 5.5.  We do not have a static IP address and since we
use a cable modem services, we cannot get static IP.

I signed up for dyndns.org so that our mail servers at our web hosting
company could find our server.  I have made all the necessary changes to the
DNS settings and am wondering if there is anything else I should be doing to
get e-mail routed to our Exchange Server?

I have run the Internet Mail Service (IMS) wizard within Exchange
Administrator.  Since I've signed up for dyndns, I am wondering if I need to
make some changes in the IMS to get e-mail to arrive?  Do I need to specify
the dyndns domain in IMS (.i.e. our domain name is for example
ourcompany.com but since I signed up for dyndns, the new dyndns address is
ourcompany.homeip.net.  Should this be listed somewhere in IMS?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

David

2. Livewire Registration Pr

3. SMTP Virtual Server Settings

4. foundational artificial intelligence

5. Authentication settings on SMTP virtual server

6. Help! Which A1200 Accelerator???

7. Exchange 2K Disclaimers - 2nd SMTP Virtual Server Question

8. Configuring a 2511 for PPP/SLIP Dial In Service

9. SMTP Virtual Server Question

10. New SBS install, question about Exchange SMTP Virtual Server

11. Virtual SMTP Server vs. SMTP Connectors

12. Problem config SMTP URGENT!

13. Immediate send of Urgent messages by dial-up SMTP