Upgrade to Windows 2000 (NOT SBS 2000) Server from SBS 4.5

Upgrade to Windows 2000 (NOT SBS 2000) Server from SBS 4.5

Post by Lok Tak Cheon » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 17:54:40

Hi All:
Do anyone any experience to upgrade a SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 Server.

I will migrate the old SBS 4.5 server to a new SBS 2000 server. Then, I will
upgrade the od SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 Server as a member server.

Anyone have this experience?

Cheong

Upgrade to Windows 2000 (NOT SBS 2000) Server from SBS 4.5

Post by Steve Foste » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 18:29:44

Once the sbs has been migrated and you're happy that everything is going
well, just format the old server and do a clean install of W2K. Much easier
than trying to "upgrade".

Steve Foster

Quote:> Hi All:
> Do anyone any experience to upgrade a SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 Server.

> I will migrate the old SBS 4.5 server to a new SBS 2000 server. Then, I
will
> upgrade the od SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 Server as a member server.

> Anyone have this experience?

> Cheong

Upgrade to Windows 2000 (NOT SBS 2000) Server from SBS 4.5

Post by Chris Sil » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 22:59:48

I spent ages looking into it and comparing the options.  In the end I went
for the following:

Kept existing box with SBS 4.5.  Purchased additional (faster) server,
loaded this with NT 4.0 server + SP6a setup as a bdc (to retain a copy of
the SAM).   Migrated applications and data accross to the new box, remapped
users virtual drives to shares on the new server.   Existing server retained
for proxy, Exchange, web serving and pdc only.
network performance has increased measureably as a result and fewer service
errors encountered.

Had initially considered doing it the way you have propossed but to be
honest upgrading to SBS 2000 would not bestow any additional functionality
to the users. in addition it would run the risk to taking the network
offline for an indeterminate amount of time (have beeter things to do with
my weekends) and just would not be cost effective in terms of 'bangs per
buck.'   A lot of folk out there rushed to upgrade to SBS2000 or Win 2000
Server for no other reason other than it is new, either that or they were
trying to increase the value of their Microsoft shares !

Christopher Silk MCSE

Quote:> Hi All:
> Do anyone any experience to upgrade a SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 Server.

> I will migrate the old SBS 4.5 server to a new SBS 2000 server. Then, I
will
> upgrade the od SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 Server as a member server.

> Anyone have this experience?

> Cheong

1. Migrate from SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 server + Exchange 2000 (NOT SBS 2000).

Please forgive the cross-posting, but I'm not seeing that my question falls
neatly into any particular newsgroup. Also, please forgive if this is an
FAQ.

I have the difficult task of migrating a client from his current setup --
SBS 4.5 with about 9 users -- to a new setup, Windows 2000 server(s) and
Exchange 2000. My client does not use all the other features of SBS 4.5, and
so believes that upgrading to SBS 2000 is not the right thing to do. He is
intent on going to the more modular and flexible Windows 2k server and and
Exchange 2000 installation.

The wrinkle here, of course, is that he wishes to do a direct migration of
current usernames/profiles and Exchange 5.5 mailboxes to the new setup of
Windows 2000 (presumably with AD) and Exchange 2000. I've seen that there
are various whitepapers on the SBS site for upgrading to SBS 2k, but haven't
come across my particular situation.

Might some kind soul direct me to some URL or other that could get me
started?

2. etransfers from U.S. bank

3. Upgrading from SBS 4.5 to full Windows 2000/Exchange 2000???

4. Debugging Software

5. Installing a Windows 2000 Server (SBS 2000) with Exchange 2000 on a Windows NT Network

6. NT on AS/400

7. Upgrade to windows 2000 not SBS 2000

8. Does the S5 have a 'soft modem' as per reveiws

9. Is it possible to upgrade from a simple Windows 2000 server to SBS 2000 ?

10. Upgrade to Windows 2000 Server from SBS 4.5

11. "Upgrade" SBS 2000 to Windows 2000 server

12. Upgrade from Windows Server 2000 NFR to 2000 SBS

13. Upgrade to Windows 2000 Server from SBS 4.5 ?