Installing a Windows 2000 Server (SBS 2000) with Exchange 2000 on a Windows NT Network

Installing a Windows 2000 Server (SBS 2000) with Exchange 2000 on a Windows NT Network

Post by Xav » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 02:12:53

Hi!

I've got a Windows NT Network. My PDC is Windows NT and I would like
to install a new server with Windows 2000 Server and Exchange 2000
(SBS 2000 install) but I don't want W2000 Server be a PDC or similar.

W2000 Server and so Exchange Server 2000 should see and manage Windows
NT users.

Is it possible? Any good resources on how to do it?

Thanks in advance,

Xavi

Installing a Windows 2000 Server (SBS 2000) with Exchange 2000 on a Windows NT Network

Post by Susan Bradley, CPA aka » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 02:16:57

SBS2k is and has to be the primary domain controller.....

> Hi!

> I've got a Windows NT Network. My PDC is Windows NT and I would like
> to install a new server with Windows 2000 Server and Exchange 2000
> (SBS 2000 install) but I don't want W2000 Server be a PDC or similar.

> W2000 Server and so Exchange Server 2000 should see and manage Windows
> NT users.

> Is it possible? Any good resources on how to do it?

> Thanks in advance,

> Xavi

Installing a Windows 2000 Server (SBS 2000) with Exchange 2000 on a Windows NT Network

Post by W Alle » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 02:19:21

I think you and I are in the exact same situation and
started threads 2 minutes apart.

Installing a Windows 2000 Server (SBS 2000) with Exchange 2000 on a Windows NT Network

Post by Chad A Gros » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 03:29:48

Xavi -

You cannot retain your NT4 domain with SBS2k.  You can migrate the NT4
Domain to Win2k AD with SBS as your PDC.  It is possible to deploy
stand-alone Exchange 2000 in an NT4 network, but my understanding is that
this functionality is there only to assist larger organizations with
migrating their domains to Win2k AD and Exchange 2000, and is not a
recommended long-term setup (but I could be wrong).  Since Exchange 2000
requires AD, certain things need to be done to have Exchange work in an NT4
domain.  From
http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/techinfo/deployment/2000/AD_Best.asp

[quote]
Deploying Exchange 2000 in a Windows NT 4.0 and Exchange 5.5 environment
does not require that the Active Directory infrastructure be fully deployed.

Because Exchange 5.5 and Windows NT 4.0 have been so popular and widely
deployed, Exchange 2000 has been designed to enable a company to begin
deploying Exchange 2000 without requiring the full Windows NT 4.0
infrastructure to be upgraded first. Active Directory Connector can be
configured to create disabled mailbox accounts in Active Directory while
existing Windows NT 4.0 user accounts can be retained for logon validation.

It is, however, important to note that Exchange 2000 users go to Active
Directory to retrieve address book information. So, the company still needs
to deploy servers running Active Directory to support the Exchange 2000
users.

[/quote]

If you decide to deploy stand-alone Exchange 2000 in this manner, you will
need to make sure and do your homework and proper planning when this NT4
domain is migrated to AD, so you retain your quasi-AD that Exchange is using
and do not create a new AD forest . . . MUCH simpler route would be to
migrate the domain to Win2k AD, with SBS as your PDC.  Win2k (and thus SBS)
suppports mixed mode, which let's you use your NT4 server in your Win2k
domain, although I would recommend upgrading that box to Win2k as well if
you want to keep using it.

--

Chad A. Gross

Heaven doesn't want me and Hell is afraid I'll take over!

Quote:> Hi!

> I've got a Windows NT Network. My PDC is Windows NT and I would like
> to install a new server with Windows 2000 Server and Exchange 2000
> (SBS 2000 install) but I don't want W2000 Server be a PDC or similar.

> W2000 Server and so Exchange Server 2000 should see and manage Windows
> NT users.

> Is it possible? Any good resources on how to do it?

> Thanks in advance,

> Xavi

1. Migrate from SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 server + Exchange 2000 (NOT SBS 2000).

Please forgive the cross-posting, but I'm not seeing that my question falls
neatly into any particular newsgroup. Also, please forgive if this is an
FAQ.

I have the difficult task of migrating a client from his current setup --
SBS 4.5 with about 9 users -- to a new setup, Windows 2000 server(s) and
Exchange 2000. My client does not use all the other features of SBS 4.5, and
so believes that upgrading to SBS 2000 is not the right thing to do. He is
intent on going to the more modular and flexible Windows 2k server and and
Exchange 2000 installation.

The wrinkle here, of course, is that he wishes to do a direct migration of
current usernames/profiles and Exchange 5.5 mailboxes to the new setup of
Windows 2000 (presumably with AD) and Exchange 2000. I've seen that there
are various whitepapers on the SBS site for upgrading to SBS 2k, but haven't
come across my particular situation.

Might some kind soul direct me to some URL or other that could get me
started?

2. Unable to start IIS services

3. Can Windows 2000 SP2 and Exchange 2000 SP 1 work with SBS 2000 ?

4. A curses(3) nightmare...

5. Windows 2000 Server to Windows SBS 2000

6. Tom Sloper - finding promising programers

7. Windows SBS 2000 to Windows SBS 2000 migration

8. Japanese font installation and Viewing - Help needed

9. Install SBS 2000 on server that is already runing window 2000 server

10. SBS2K is it installed on Windows 2000 Server or 2000 Advanced Server?

11. Installing SMS 2.0 with SQL Server 2000 on a windows 2000 server

12. Exchange 5.5 X 2000 / Windows NT 4 X Active Directory 2000

13. Upgrade to Windows 2000 (NOT SBS 2000) Server from SBS 4.5