Shared modem service & shared fax service

Shared modem service & shared fax service

Post by Mike » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 11:18:13

Greetings!  Need some setup help.  First time trying to
set up the fax service.  Have a server with three internal
modems that are going to be used strictly for large volume
faxing.  Going to set up the Shared Fax Service.  Do I
also have to install/set up the Shared Modem Service?  I
do not think that I do but just want to check as I haven't
found any documentation one way or the other.  Thanks.

--mike

Shared modem service & shared fax service

Post by Tipp » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 11:55:46

Mike, the shared modem service allows clients to use the
server's modem(s) as their own. Essentially, it tricks the
workstation into believing the modem is physically
connected. The fax service is a totally different service.
You can though set up your modems to be used as both a fax
and shared modem.

If you just want faxing, forget modem sharing it is
totally unrelated.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Greetings!  Need some setup help.  First time trying to
>set up the fax service.  Have a server with three
internal
>modems that are going to be used strictly for large
volume
>faxing.  Going to set up the Shared Fax Service.  Do I
>also have to install/set up the Shared Modem Service?  I
>do not think that I do but just want to check as I
haven't
>found any documentation one way or the other.  Thanks.

>--mike
>.

1. Shared Fax Service & USR 5686-03 Ext Fax Modem

I have a USR 5686-03 External Fax Modem that was previously working under
SBS 4.5.  Now under SBS 2000, I can't get it to work properly.  On outbound
faxes, I get 32010 events, and on inbound faxes, I get 32091.

Anyone have one of these modems working correctly with SBS 2000?  Is there a
specific init string I need?  Should I be using a different driver?

Thanks! Rick

2. problem pasting from SGI winterm

3. Fax service, RAS and Modem sharing service?

4. Logging onto E-Mail

5. Fax Sharing/Modem Sharing with one modem

6. Question about sharing an application

7. Removing fax services and modem sharing from SBS 4.5

8. Moving on...

9. Modems and Modem Sharing Service

10. RAS & FAX & Modem Share : All at Once ?

11. Seeting Up Win95 FAx Service Through SBS Shared Fax

12. Shared Fax Service Duplicating Incoming Faxes

13. shared fax service fails after sending or reciving a fax