Slow Mailbox operation

Post by Oliver Nelso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

With SBS 4.5:
I have a mailbox that moves a ton of data through it daily.  Probably about
100-200M (almost all the data being in attachments) a day of incoming and
outgoing tasks/emails (300-400 items).  All has been working fine on this
account up until a day or two ago.  Now other than entering outlook (o2k)
under this users profile, everything is extremely (I mean VERY) slow.  Takes
20-30 secs to
move/assign a task to someone.  What could be causing this problem?  Could
something have been corrupted?

OLIVER

Slow Mailbox operation

Post by Cris Hanna, BS, MC » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Look at archiving and journaling

--
Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
SBS-MVP

Quote:> With SBS 4.5:
> I have a mailbox that moves a ton of data through it daily.  Probably
about
> 100-200M (almost all the data being in attachments) a day of incoming and
> outgoing tasks/emails (300-400 items).  All has been working fine on this
> account up until a day or two ago.  Now other than entering outlook (o2k)
> under this users profile, everything is extremely (I mean VERY) slow.
Takes
> 20-30 secs to
> move/assign a task to someone.  What could be causing this problem?  Could
> something have been corrupted?

> OLIVER

Slow Mailbox operation

Post by Oliver Nelso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Cris,

Tried this.  Mailbox is down to 181 Megs at the moment.  It has spurts of
speed.  We removed our custom COM add-in, this seemed like it helped, but
then started running slow again.  It takes nearly ten seconds just to go
between messages in the inbox, if they are unread messages.  The delay is
not on selecting the message, but rather on the marking of the message as
read that causes the long delay.

We have another user with a mailbox of 380 Megs accessing from a P166 (o2k)
that runs faster in o2k than this user on this specific mailbox.  The
computer of the user that is having the problem is a PII 350 (maybe 400??).
Any other ideas?  (Note: The user can access a different mailbox for which
she has a profile with not problems, is fast as can be.  Also, this same
speed problem is seen accessing this specific mailbox from another computer
(a Celeron 500)).

OLIVER

> Look at archiving and journaling

> --
> Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
> SBS-MVP

> > With SBS 4.5:
> > I have a mailbox that moves a ton of data through it daily.  Probably
> about
> > 100-200M (almost all the data being in attachments) a day of incoming
and
> > outgoing tasks/emails (300-400 items).  All has been working fine on
this
> > account up until a day or two ago.  Now other than entering outlook
(o2k)
> > under this users profile, everything is extremely (I mean VERY) slow.
> Takes
> > 20-30 secs to
> > move/assign a task to someone.  What could be causing this problem?
Could
> > something have been corrupted?

> > OLIVER

Slow Mailbox operation

Post by Marc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello,

Why don't you use Public Folders for your Exchange/Outlook environment? You can set limits on the Private Information Store so that the mailboxes/users are limited in letting their mailbox grow too much. I think best practice is that you redesign your Exchange/Outlook environment.

Another thing I would suggest is defragging the Exchange databases. It might help you in decreasing the size of the Exchange databases.
--
Regards,

Marco
MCSE, NT, Exchange

  Cris,

  Tried this.  Mailbox is down to 181 Megs at the moment.  It has spurts of
  speed.  We removed our custom COM add-in, this seemed like it helped, but
  then started running slow again.  It takes nearly ten seconds just to go
  between messages in the inbox, if they are unread messages.  The delay is
  not on selecting the message, but rather on the marking of the message as
  read that causes the long delay.

  We have another user with a mailbox of 380 Megs accessing from a P166 (o2k)
  that runs faster in o2k than this user on this specific mailbox.  The
  computer of the user that is having the problem is a PII 350 (maybe 400??).
  Any other ideas?  (Note: The user can access a different mailbox for which
  she has a profile with not problems, is fast as can be.  Also, this same
  speed problem is seen accessing this specific mailbox from another computer
  (a Celeron 500)).

  OLIVER

  > Look at archiving and journaling
  >
  > --
  > Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
  > SBS-MVP
  >

  > > With SBS 4.5:
  > > I have a mailbox that moves a ton of data through it daily.  Probably
  > about
  > > 100-200M (almost all the data being in attachments) a day of incoming
  and
  > > outgoing tasks/emails (300-400 items).  All has been working fine on
  this
  > > account up until a day or two ago.  Now other than entering outlook
  (o2k)
  > > under this users profile, everything is extremely (I mean VERY) slow.
  > Takes
  > > 20-30 secs to
  > > move/assign a task to someone.  What could be causing this problem?
  Could
  > > something have been corrupted?
  > >
  > > OLIVER

Slow Mailbox operation

Post by Oliver Nelso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Marco,

We are in the process of redesigning it right now.  I am writing code based on info at cdolive.com in the language I work in (VDF) to allow for me to more easily use the public store from my software.  In the meantime though, I will try the defrag, but is it possible that just HDD fragmentation could cause on mailbox and only one to be slow?

OLIVER

  Hello,

  Why don't you use Public Folders for your Exchange/Outlook environment? You can set limits on the Private Information Store so that the mailboxes/users are limited in letting their mailbox grow too much. I think best practice is that you redesign your Exchange/Outlook environment.

  Another thing I would suggest is defragging the Exchange databases. It might help you in decreasing the size of the Exchange databases.
  --
  Regards,

  Marco
  MCSE, NT, Exchange

    Cris,

    Tried this.  Mailbox is down to 181 Megs at the moment.  It has spurts of
    speed.  We removed our custom COM add-in, this seemed like it helped, but
    then started running slow again.  It takes nearly ten seconds just to go
    between messages in the inbox, if they are unread messages.  The delay is
    not on selecting the message, but rather on the marking of the message as
    read that causes the long delay.

    We have another user with a mailbox of 380 Megs accessing from a P166 (o2k)
    that runs faster in o2k than this user on this specific mailbox.  The
    computer of the user that is having the problem is a PII 350 (maybe 400??).
    Any other ideas?  (Note: The user can access a different mailbox for which
    she has a profile with not problems, is fast as can be.  Also, this same
    speed problem is seen accessing this specific mailbox from another computer
    (a Celeron 500)).

    OLIVER

    > Look at archiving and journaling
    >
    > --
    > Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
    > SBS-MVP
    >

    > > With SBS 4.5:
    > > I have a mailbox that moves a ton of data through it daily.  Probably
    > about
    > > 100-200M (almost all the data being in attachments) a day of incoming
    and
    > > outgoing tasks/emails (300-400 items).  All has been working fine on
    this
    > > account up until a day or two ago.  Now other than entering outlook
    (o2k)
    > > under this users profile, everything is extremely (I mean VERY) slow.
    > Takes
    > > 20-30 secs to
    > > move/assign a task to someone.  What could be causing this problem?
    Could
    > > something have been corrupted?
    > >
    > > OLIVER

Slow Mailbox operation

Post by Marc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello,

I guess we have a mismatch in communication. With defragging the Exchange databases, I did not mean that you defrag your harddisk. Check out the following:
    Note: all the Exchange Services should have been stopped.

 Exchange 4.0 and 5.0
------------
EDBUTIL /d /r /ispriv.
EDBUTIL /d /r /ispub.

Exchange 5.5
------------
ESEUTIL /d /ispriv.
ESEUTIL /d /ispub.
--
Regards,

Marco
MCSE, NT, Exchange

> [...]

      > > With SBS 4.5:
      > > I have a mailbox that moves a ton of data through it daily.  Probably
      > about
      > > 100-200M (almost all the data being in attachments) a day of incoming
      and
      > > outgoing tasks/emails (300-400 items).  All has been working fine on
      this
      > > account up until a day or two ago.  Now other than entering outlook
      (o2k)
      > > under this users profile, everything is extremely (I mean VERY) slow.
      > Takes
      > > 20-30 secs to
      > > move/assign a task to someone.  What could be causing this problem?
      Could
      > > something have been corrupted?
      > >
      > > OLIVER

Slow Mailbox operation

Post by Oliver Nelso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

No mismatch, I just don't know any of this stuff yet!

Thanx,

> [...]

        OLIVER

        > Look at archiving and journaling
        >
        > --
        > Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
        > SBS-MVP
        >

        > > With SBS 4.5:
        > > I have a mailbox that moves a ton of data through it daily.  Probably
        > about
        > > 100-200M (almost all the data being in attachments) a day of incoming
        and
        > > outgoing tasks/emails (300-400 items).  All has been working fine on
        this
        > > account up until a day or two ago.  Now other than entering outlook
        (o2k)
        > > under this users profile, everything is extremely (I mean VERY) slow.
        > Takes
        > > 20-30 secs to
        > > move/assign a task to someone.  What could be causing this problem?

1. Slow file operations

SBSV5, DELL 2300 all new in September. Virgin installation seemed OK but one
WIN95 client took ages to log on, gave UAE's and took 10secs to transfer a
100kb file.

Months later, with new client WIN98 machines, we have a similar problem. The
user, who was OK is now very slow, and the user who was bad is fine. Some,
including myself, have never had a problem.

Can peculiar file permissions cause this effect. We got a case where even
the Administrator was unable to access files.

What info does the group need to point to the areas to look at please?

John Newell

2. MegaSTE SCSI info

3. Lock ups, slow operation and various errors

4. Sockets vs Web Services

5. Q: slow directory operations

6. SIMPLE way to display text?

7. Slow operations with MS Access DB

8. does the S24 SS5 work?

9. Proxy Server 2.0 Web slow,slow,slow!

10. Exchange 2000 on SBS (Hide mailbox access System mailbox)

11. Duplicate mailbox and how to delete a mailbox

12. Creating Mailbox and giving user permissions to the mailbox

13. Created Mailbox and user account but mailbox doesn't work!