Benifits of MS Small Business 2000 over MS Small Business Backoffice Server 4.5

Benifits of MS Small Business 2000 over MS Small Business Backoffice Server 4.5

Post by Lutfo » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 13:22:03

Dear Readers,

We are currently using MS Small Business Back Office
Server 4.5. We want to upgrade to MS Small Business Server
2000. But we don't know the benifits of MS Small Business
Server 2000 over Small Business Back Office Server 4.5.

Could any one please help us by leting us know.

Thank you.

Regards,
Lutfor

Benifits of MS Small Business 2000 over MS Small Business Backoffice Server 4.5

Post by Jame » Sat, 13 Jul 2002 17:45:48

Quote:> Dear Readers,

> We are currently using MS Small Business Back Office
> Server 4.5. We want to upgrade to MS Small Business Server
> 2000. But we don't know the benifits of MS Small Business
> Server 2000 over Small Business Back Office Server 4.5.

I hope this is an impertinent question, but *why* do you want to upgrade
(especially if you "don't know the benefits of SBS2000 over SBS4.5").  It's
unwise to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading...

With that out of the way, I'd say the benefits of SBS2000 are:-

Based on Windows 2000 Server not NT4 Server
- improved reliability
- improved support for newer hardware (e.g. USB support)

Includes Exchange 2000

Includes SQL Server 2000

Includes ISA Server 2000 (firewall / web caching)
- much *much* better than MS Proxy Server 2.

Disadvantages?  You'll certainly need a better server to get as good
performance as your existing SBS4.5 server - e.g. memory-wise I'd recommend
at least 512MB RAM, many people here use 1 or 2GB ram in their SBS2000
servers.

James

Benifits of MS Small Business 2000 over MS Small Business Backoffice Server 4.5

Post by SBS-MV » Sat, 13 Jul 2002 22:17:54

Actually James has put this quite well.

If the 4.5 is not broken, there is no need to fix it.   If, however you have had problems, or are considering a beefier server due to performance issues,  then it would be prudent make the upgrade at that time.

--
Cris Hanna
SBS MVP

  > Dear Readers,
  >
  > We are currently using MS Small Business Back Office
  > Server 4.5. We want to upgrade to MS Small Business Server
  > 2000. But we don't know the benifits of MS Small Business
  > Server 2000 over Small Business Back Office Server 4.5.

  I hope this is an impertinent question, but *why* do you want to upgrade
  (especially if you "don't know the benefits of SBS2000 over SBS4.5").  It's
  unwise to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading...

  With that out of the way, I'd say the benefits of SBS2000 are:-

  Based on Windows 2000 Server not NT4 Server
  - improved reliability
  - improved support for newer hardware (e.g. USB support)

  Includes Exchange 2000

  Includes SQL Server 2000

  Includes ISA Server 2000 (firewall / web caching)
  - much *much* better than MS Proxy Server 2.

  Disadvantages?  You'll certainly need a better server to get as good
  performance as your existing SBS4.5 server - e.g. memory-wise I'd recommend
  at least 512MB RAM, many people here use 1 or 2GB ram in their SBS2000
  servers.

  James

Benifits of MS Small Business 2000 over MS Small Business Backoffice Server 4.5

Post by Don Bent » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 12:08:06

I agree both. I have installed a few now. NO LESS THAN P3 700, NO LESS THAN 512 Meg Ram. (Of course only if you want to be happy)

There are a few bugs with the current SBS2000. Run windows updates!  SPack Exchange server, Run the MAD.exe update, Run the registry hack that changes the IIS/exchange boot order, and patch ISA.

After you do this, You will be very happy with the new sbs.

Don Bentz, MCSE

Post by Jame » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 22:49:08

> I agree both. I have installed a few now.
> NO LESS THAN P3 700, NO LESS THAN 512 Meg Ram.
> (Of course only if you want to be happy)

> There are a few bugs with the current SBS2000.
> Run windows updates!

I would *never* run Windows Update on a SBS2000 server...  if you try Google
Groups searching for windowsupdate+problem+server you'll find plenty people
who appear to have generated plenty of problems on their servers by doing
that.

IMHO far better to do it the longer way:- W2k SP2, reboot, W2k SP2SRP1,
reboot, and then get and run hfnetchk - apply the necessary W2k security
patches by hand - check after each one that everything's running smoothly
(check the event logs).  Then Ex2k SP2, ISA SP1, SQL SP2 and don't forget
all the post-service pack security hotfixes for these apps.

James

1. MS Backoffice Small Business Server Crashes.

I am running MS Backoffice Small Business Server on a NT 4
Server machine currently supporting Win 95 clients.  I am
currently in the process of converting all Win 95 client
machines to Win 2000 Professional.  My initial step is to
create the machine name using the SBS console. Next, I
format the Win 95 client machines and install Win 2000 Pro
and connect the machine to the domain.  After serval hours
or that same night, the SBS crashes without warning.  Why
does the SBS crash after installing and adding a new
client to the domain?  Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks for your help Susan...

2. Long delays in mail access?

3. MS Backoffice Small Business Server - Upgrade mess-up

4. Launching URLs

5. Upgrade from Backoffice 4.5 Small Business to Windows 2000 Server

6. Mac Emulation

7. Backoffice Small Business 4.5 to Windows 2000 Advanced Server

8. Slow mouse cursor

9. Windows 2000 version of MS Small Business Server

10. Advise "MS Small Business Server 2000"

11. What are the advantages and disavantages of Small Business Server 2000 and BackOffice Server 2000 ?

12. Is BackOffice 4.5 = Small Business Server 4.5 ?

13. Small Business Server 4.5 on Windows 2000 Server