Migrate from SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 server + Exchange 2000 (NOT SBS 2000).

Migrate from SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 server + Exchange 2000 (NOT SBS 2000).

Post by 31794 » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 02:47:55

Please forgive the cross-posting, but I'm not seeing that my question falls
neatly into any particular newsgroup. Also, please forgive if this is an
FAQ.

I have the difficult task of migrating a client from his current setup --
SBS 4.5 with about 9 users -- to a new setup, Windows 2000 server(s) and
Exchange 2000. My client does not use all the other features of SBS 4.5, and
so believes that upgrading to SBS 2000 is not the right thing to do. He is
intent on going to the more modular and flexible Windows 2k server and and
Exchange 2000 installation.

The wrinkle here, of course, is that he wishes to do a direct migration of
current usernames/profiles and Exchange 5.5 mailboxes to the new setup of
Windows 2000 (presumably with AD) and Exchange 2000. I've seen that there
are various whitepapers on the SBS site for upgrading to SBS 2k, but haven't
come across my particular situation.

Might some kind soul direct me to some URL or other that could get me
started?

Migrate from SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 server + Exchange 2000 (NOT SBS 2000).

Post by MV » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 03:57:25

Quote:>Please forgive the cross-posting, but I'm not seeing that my question falls
>neatly into any particular newsgroup. Also, please forgive if this is an
>FAQ.

>I have the difficult task of migrating a client from his current setup --
>SBS 4.5 with about 9 users -- to a new setup, Windows 2000 server(s) and
>Exchange 2000. My client does not use all the other features of SBS 4.5, and
>so believes that upgrading to SBS 2000 is not the right thing to do. He is
>intent on going to the more modular and flexible Windows 2k server and and
>Exchange 2000 installation.

>The wrinkle here, of course, is that he wishes to do a direct migration of
>current usernames/profiles and Exchange 5.5 mailboxes to the new setup of
>Windows 2000 (presumably with AD) and Exchange 2000. I've seen that there
>are various whitepapers on the SBS site for upgrading to SBS 2k, but haven't
>come across my particular situation.

>Might some kind soul direct me to some URL or other that could get me
>started?

You will not upgrade from SBS4/4a/4.5 to real Windows 2000 unless you
go via full BackOffoce 4.5 to make the NT "real" NT4.0

Migrate from SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 server + Exchange 2000 (NOT SBS 2000).

Post by 31794 » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 04:07:14

Mark,

Thanks so much for your information here, but I'm embarrased to admit that I
don't quite understand. I'm not certain about the distinction between SBS
4.5 and BackOffice. If I can't do this, would it be possible to create a
Win2k server domain (same FQDN as the earlier, to-be-replaced SBS 4.5
installation), install Exchange 2000, and copy over the older SBS
4.5/Exchange 5.5 mailboxes and public folders to the new domain?

I'm a bit of a neophyte on this sort of endeavor.

> >Please forgive the cross-posting, but I'm not seeing that my question
falls
> >neatly into any particular newsgroup. Also, please forgive if this is an
> >FAQ.

> >I have the difficult task of migrating a client from his current setup --
> >SBS 4.5 with about 9 users -- to a new setup, Windows 2000 server(s) and
> >Exchange 2000. My client does not use all the other features of SBS 4.5,
and
> >so believes that upgrading to SBS 2000 is not the right thing to do. He
is
> >intent on going to the more modular and flexible Windows 2k server and
and
> >Exchange 2000 installation.

> >The wrinkle here, of course, is that he wishes to do a direct migration
of
> >current usernames/profiles and Exchange 5.5 mailboxes to the new setup of
> >Windows 2000 (presumably with AD) and Exchange 2000. I've seen that there
> >are various whitepapers on the SBS site for upgrading to SBS 2k, but
haven't
> >come across my particular situation.

> >Might some kind soul direct me to some URL or other that could get me
> >started?

> You will not upgrade from SBS4/4a/4.5 to real Windows 2000 unless you
> go via full BackOffoce 4.5 to make the NT "real" NT4.0

> FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm &
> http:http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq.htm

Migrate from SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 server + Exchange 2000 (NOT SBS 2000).

Post by Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 04:14:47

May I ask is he still going to have Exchange on that Win2k box?  SBS2k is
modular and flexible.  It's just up to the consultant to know all the ways you
can connect/VPN/remotely attach workers.

Susan

[he does realize the cost difference as well right?  Win2k and cals and Exchange
2k and cals, plus he cannot buy the SBS versions of Vertitas backup exec and
Antivirus software which are traditionally cheaper that their "part" versions.
As the beancounter around here, do the math.  You don't have to load SQL, nor
even use ISA if you don't like, but if he's sticking Exchange right back on that
same Win2k, it just doesn't economically make sense.

> Please forgive the cross-posting, but I'm not seeing that my question falls
> neatly into any particular newsgroup. Also, please forgive if this is an
> FAQ.

> I have the difficult task of migrating a client from his current setup --
> SBS 4.5 with about 9 users -- to a new setup, Windows 2000 server(s) and
> Exchange 2000. My client does not use all the other features of SBS 4.5, and
> so believes that upgrading to SBS 2000 is not the right thing to do. He is
> intent on going to the more modular and flexible Windows 2k server and and
> Exchange 2000 installation.

> The wrinkle here, of course, is that he wishes to do a direct migration of
> current usernames/profiles and Exchange 5.5 mailboxes to the new setup of
> Windows 2000 (presumably with AD) and Exchange 2000. I've seen that there
> are various whitepapers on the SBS site for upgrading to SBS 2k, but haven't
> come across my particular situation.

> Might some kind soul direct me to some URL or other that could get me
> started?

Migrate from SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 server + Exchange 2000 (NOT SBS 2000).

Post by Chad A Gros » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 05:14:16

Hi Mark -

Take a spare box, load up NT4 as a BDC to your SBS4.5 domain.  Use Exmerge
to export your Exchange mailboxes (and manually export any public folders
you have to pst files).  Remove the SBS and promote the spare box to PDC.
Updgrade the spare box to Win2000.  Load up Win2000 on your new server (or
old SBS if you're using the same hardware) and join it to the domain.
Promote to PDC and dcpromo the temp server out of the domain.  Load
Exchange, use Exmerge to import your user mailboxes and manually import any
public folders . . .

But, as Susan stated - there are significant cost savings with SBS2k over
straight Win2k + Exchange, especially in a 9 node network.

--

Chad A. Gross

Lerman's Law of Technology:  Any technical problem can be overcome given
enough time and money.
Corollary:  You are never given enough time or money.

Quote:> Please forgive the cross-posting, but I'm not seeing that my question
falls
> neatly into any particular newsgroup. Also, please forgive if this is an
> FAQ.

> I have the difficult task of migrating a client from his current setup --
> SBS 4.5 with about 9 users -- to a new setup, Windows 2000 server(s) and
> Exchange 2000. My client does not use all the other features of SBS 4.5,
and
> so believes that upgrading to SBS 2000 is not the right thing to do. He is
> intent on going to the more modular and flexible Windows 2k server and and
> Exchange 2000 installation.

> The wrinkle here, of course, is that he wishes to do a direct migration of
> current usernames/profiles and Exchange 5.5 mailboxes to the new setup of
> Windows 2000 (presumably with AD) and Exchange 2000. I've seen that there
> are various whitepapers on the SBS site for upgrading to SBS 2k, but
haven't
> come across my particular situation.

> Might some kind soul direct me to some URL or other that could get me
> started?

Migrate from SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 server + Exchange 2000 (NOT SBS 2000).

Post by 31794 » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 06:09:57

Chad,

Wow. It can't be THAT straigthforward, can it? Two quick follow-ups:

1) Regarding creating an NT 4 box, can I simply use the current SBS CD, or
do I have to hunt around for an old NT 4.0 server CD (non-SBS)?
2) I'll check out the pricing on SBS 2000 and see whether I might convince
my client towards this direction; if I remember, SBS 2000 allows for more
CALS than does SBS 4.5, right?

Thanks for your help. This may save us some real grief!

You must be

> Hi Mark -

> Take a spare box, load up NT4 as a BDC to your SBS4.5 domain.  Use Exmerge
> to export your Exchange mailboxes (and manually export any public folders
> you have to pst files).  Remove the SBS and promote the spare box to PDC.
> Updgrade the spare box to Win2000.  Load up Win2000 on your new server (or
> old SBS if you're using the same hardware) and join it to the domain.
> Promote to PDC and dcpromo the temp server out of the domain.  Load
> Exchange, use Exmerge to import your user mailboxes and manually import
any
> public folders . . .

> But, as Susan stated - there are significant cost savings with SBS2k over
> straight Win2k + Exchange, especially in a 9 node network.

> --

> Chad A. Gross

> Lerman's Law of Technology:  Any technical problem can be overcome given
> enough time and money.
> Corollary:  You are never given enough time or money.

> > Please forgive the cross-posting, but I'm not seeing that my question
> falls
> > neatly into any particular newsgroup. Also, please forgive if this is an
> > FAQ.

> > I have the difficult task of migrating a client from his current
setup --
> > SBS 4.5 with about 9 users -- to a new setup, Windows 2000 server(s) and
> > Exchange 2000. My client does not use all the other features of SBS 4.5,
> and
> > so believes that upgrading to SBS 2000 is not the right thing to do. He
is
> > intent on going to the more modular and flexible Windows 2k server and
and
> > Exchange 2000 installation.

> > The wrinkle here, of course, is that he wishes to do a direct migration
of
> > current usernames/profiles and Exchange 5.5 mailboxes to the new setup
of
> > Windows 2000 (presumably with AD) and Exchange 2000. I've seen that
there
> > are various whitepapers on the SBS site for upgrading to SBS 2k, but
> haven't
> > come across my particular situation.

> > Might some kind soul direct me to some URL or other that could get me
> > started?

Migrate from SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 server + Exchange 2000 (NOT SBS 2000).

Post by Chad A Gros » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 06:35:08

Hi Mark -

It should be pretty close to that straight-forward.  If you're using roaming
profiles, you'll naturally want to copy those over from your SBS with your
Exchange data.  Using a spare box has several advantages - 1) you get to
migrate your existing domain (instead of creating new) which keeps those NT
/ Win2k / XP clients happy (and profiles intact), 2) you don't have any ugly
remains from an NT4 -> Win2k upgrade on your final production network since
your final production server is a clean install, 3) You're free to name the
new server the same as the old server without any conflicts. 4) If you run
into problems while upgrading the spare box, your original SBS is still
intact, and you can re-attach it to the LAN and be back up and running . . .

I'm pretty sure you've got to use plain NT to create the spare box - I don't
think NT from the SBS disks gives you the option to install as a BDC, but I
could be wrong.

SBS2k still only allows for a maximum of 50 workstations, but this customer
is going to have to be projecting some serious growth in the next 18 - 24
months to view this as a potential problem.  Add that SBS is in essence
per-seat licensing with a single CAL allowing a workstation to connect to
the SBS (Win2k / Exchange / SQL) and any Win2k member server, and the
licensing is going to be less expensive as well.  In addition to the price
savings with SBS, there are other advantages currently out there.  With the
new version of SBS nearing release, Microsoft is offering Software Assurance
for SBS for only $99 - which is a considerable savings.  Also, if this
customer decides to go with SBS and you install it before June 30, you can
claim a rebate from Microsoft for up to $500 (see
http://members.microsoft.com/partner/campaign/SBS2000.aspx) for more info.)

--

> [...]

> is
> > > intent on going to the more modular and flexible Windows 2k server and
> and
> > > Exchange 2000 installation.

> > > The wrinkle here, of course, is that he wishes to do a direct
migration
> of
> > > current usernames/profiles and Exchange 5.5 mailboxes to the new setup
> of
> > > Windows 2000 (presumably with AD) and Exchange 2000. I've seen that
> there
> > > are various whitepapers on the SBS site for upgrading to SBS 2k, but
> > haven't
> > > come across my particular situation.

> > > Might some kind soul direct me to some URL or other that could get me
> > > started?

Migrate from SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 server + Exchange 2000 (NOT SBS 2000).

Post by Steve Foster [SBS MVP » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 08:41:53

Quote:

> You will not upgrade from SBS4/4a/4.5 to real Windows 2000 unless you
> go via full BackOffoce 4.5 to make the NT "real" NT4.0

Not to call Mark a liar, but yes you can. It's just not pretty...

It involves using a temporary PC for the NT4->Win2K AD migration, and you
do need access to a standard copy of Exchange 5.5 as well as Exchange 2000.

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
---------------------------------------

Migrate from SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 server + Exchange 2000 (NOT SBS 2000).

Post by Steve Foster [SBS MVP » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 08:44:24

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 15:14:16 -0500, Chad A Gross

> Hi Mark -

> Take a spare box, load up NT4 as a BDC to your SBS4.5 domain.  Use
> Exmerge
> to export your Exchange mailboxes (and manually export any public folders
> you have to pst files).  Remove the SBS and promote the spare box to PDC.
> Updgrade the spare box to Win2000.  Load up Win2000 on your new server
> (or
> old SBS if you're using the same hardware) and join it to the domain.
> Promote to PDC and dcpromo the temp server out of the domain.  Load
> Exchange, use Exmerge to import your user mailboxes and manually import
> any
> public folders . . .

> But, as Susan stated - there are significant cost savings with SBS2k over
> straight Win2k + Exchange, especially in a 9 node network.

If you have access to vanilla Exchange5.5, you can forklift the exchange
databases directly to the new Win2K server, as long as you keep the naming
identical to the old SBS server. You also need to install the same level of
Ex5.5 SP, which must be at least SP3 for it to work properly on Win2K. Then
you down exchange, replace the empty databases with the SBS4.5 ones, and
run eseutil -patch. Final stage is an in-place upgrade to Exchange 2000.

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
---------------------------------------

Post by MV » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 20:18:40

>> You will not upgrade from SBS4/4a/4.5 to real Windows 2000 unless you
>> go via full BackOffoce 4.5 to make the NT "real" NT4.0

>Not to call Mark a liar, but yes you can. It's just not pretty...

>It involves using a temporary PC for the NT4->Win2K AD migration, and you
>do need access to a standard copy of Exchange 5.5 as well as Exchange 2000.

Cheers Steve. One stands corrected.

Migrate from SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 server + Exchange 2000 (NOT SBS 2000).

Post by Bruc » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 21:41:32

Be careful about the rebate...Microsoft informed me that it does not apply
to SBS upgrades.

.

Post by James Ervi » Thu, 24 Apr 2003 03:10:21

        On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 15:14:16 -0500, "Chad A Gross"

>Hi Mark -

>Take a spare box, load up NT4 as a BDC to your SBS4.5 domain.  Use Exmerge
>to export your Exchange mailboxes (and manually export any public folders
>you have to pst files).  Remove the SBS and promote the spare box to PDC.
>Updgrade the spare box to Win2000.  Load up Win2000 on your new server (or
>old SBS if you're using the same hardware) and join it to the domain.
>Promote to PDC and dcpromo the temp server out of the domain.  Load
>Exchange, use Exmerge to import your user mailboxes and manually import any
>public folders . . .

In this senario are you loading exch 5.5 or 2000?  It seems you would
be loading 5.5, importing the mailboxes and then upgrading to 2000.  I
that a correct understanding?

Thanks

James Ervin
Remove SPAM to email me.

Migrate from SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 server + Exchange 2000 (NOT SBS 2000).

Post by Chad A Gros » Thu, 24 Apr 2003 03:52:30

Hi James -

With the process I described, you would load Exchange 2000.  Exmerge
essentially exports the mailboxes to .pst files, and you can then import the
mailboxes into a fresh installation of Exchange 2000.  Note that exmerge
doesn't work with public folders.  Steve's post describes the process of
upgrade to Exchange 2000.