Best way to use Exchange

Post by Roderick Thompso » Fri, 12 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Im interested to get some opinions on the best way to use Exchange Server.

I currently run SBS with Exchange and connect to my ISP via an ISDN router
(using DNAT+). I have a single POP3 account with them. In order to
interface with the POP3 mailbox I acquired Virtual Motion Internet
Mailbridge extension to provide POP3 support to Exchange.

Should I be looking at a more advanced (eg using SMTP) approach to handling
mail or is this an acceptable way of doing things.

Anyone any experience of using POP3 to SMTP gateways with Exchange ?

Best way to use Exchange

Post by Rollan » Thu, 18 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I set up exchange to deque SMTP mail that is sent to our domain at our ISP.
We have a modem (USR 33.6) that calls out every 30 minutes and uses ETRN to
hit our two email domains and pull down the mail to a static IP address our
ISP gave us.  Outgoing mail is fowarded to their email servers IP address.
This setup has worked quite well for us for the last 8 months ( I started
doing this with exch 4.0).  Exch 5.0 support both finger and ETRN for mail
retrieval. I think several ISP support this type of setup.  With an ISDN the
mail would just come straight through to you I think.  Hope this is
useful...

Rolland

Quote:>Im interested to get some opinions on the best way to use Exchange Server.

>I currently run SBS with Exchange and connect to my ISP via an ISDN router
>(using DNAT+). I have a single POP3 account with them. In order to
>interface with the POP3 mailbox I acquired Virtual Motion Internet
>Mailbridge extension to provide POP3 support to Exchange.

>Should I be looking at a more advanced (eg using SMTP) approach to handling
>mail or is this an acceptable way of doing things.

>Anyone any experience of using POP3 to SMTP gateways with Exchange ?

Best way to use Exchange

Post by Xyaa JSERV-HERMES-outl64 » Sun, 21 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I have had experience of using POP3 connectors (Exemplar POP to Exchange
-
Exemplar Software) with Exchange.  The only problem is that POP3 strips
the
message headers.  This means that messages to multiple recipients will
only
arrive at one recipient.

Suggest using SMTP.

Ben