Upgrade NT Server to SBS 2000 - Upgrade package will not accept NT CD for upgrade!

Upgrade NT Server to SBS 2000 - Upgrade package will not accept NT CD for upgrade!

Post by Gerald in Minneapol » Thu, 10 Jun 2004 05:58:02



Hello - I hope someone can help me..

I am trying to build a new server for my employer to replace an aging
Netware server.  I bought a new Small Business Server 2000 "Upgrade"
package along with an additional 10 user licenses.  The reason I
bought the "Upgrade" package was because we (company) already owned an
unused installation of NT Server and all the information I found said
that I could use this for the upgrade.
All went well with the new server as I booted from CD1 of SBS2000 and
reformatted the HD using NTFS.  The system now boots fine.

When I went to install the server components it gets to the point of
"Upgrade CD Verification" and it is asking "Enter the location of your
Small Business Server 4.0 or Small Business Server 4.5 CD1.".

I have tried to give it the NT Server CD, but it continually rejects
it and asks for the SBS 4.0 or SBS 4.5 CD.

What can be done?

Do I need to destroy the NTFS partition, Install NT Server and then
Install SBS 2000 on top of it?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Regards - Gerald

 
 
 

Upgrade NT Server to SBS 2000 - Upgrade package will not accept NT CD for upgrade!

Post by Marina Roos [SBS-MVP » Thu, 10 Jun 2004 06:13:41


Hi Gerald,

Are you sure that the upgrade was indeed for 'just' NT4 and not for SBS
4.0/4.5?

--
Regards,

Marina
Microsoft SBS-MVP



Quote:> Hello - I hope someone can help me..

> I am trying to build a new server for my employer to replace an aging
> Netware server.  I bought a new Small Business Server 2000 "Upgrade"
> package along with an additional 10 user licenses.  The reason I
> bought the "Upgrade" package was because we (company) already owned an
> unused installation of NT Server and all the information I found said
> that I could use this for the upgrade.
> All went well with the new server as I booted from CD1 of SBS2000 and
> reformatted the HD using NTFS.  The system now boots fine.

> When I went to install the server components it gets to the point of
> "Upgrade CD Verification" and it is asking "Enter the location of your
> Small Business Server 4.0 or Small Business Server 4.5 CD1.".

> I have tried to give it the NT Server CD, but it continually rejects
> it and asks for the SBS 4.0 or SBS 4.5 CD.

> What can be done?

> Do I need to destroy the NTFS partition, Install NT Server and then
> Install SBS 2000 on top of it?

> Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

> Regards - Gerald


 
 
 

Upgrade NT Server to SBS 2000 - Upgrade package will not accept NT CD for upgrade!

Post by Gerald in Minneapol » Thu, 10 Jun 2004 23:36:22


Hello Marina,

I did not know there was a difference nor was it spelled out plainly
in any location that I have been able to find.
The package I have has a certificate of authenticity with the
following data:

E75-00007
PO: 4400001857       LINE: 2
WO: 56851-0-0-0524   TEAM: MSLC
SMALL BUSINESS SERVER 2000 ENGLISH
MADE IN USA (PUERTO RICO)

There is nother lable with more numbers on it and some of them are
duplicates of the above information.

Please help me figure out how to make this work as my job depends on
the success of this installation.

Thank you!

Regards - Gerald


> Hi Gerald,

> Are you sure that the upgrade was indeed for 'just' NT4 and not for SBS
> 4.0/4.5?

> --
> Regards,

> Marina
> Microsoft SBS-MVP



> > Hello - I hope someone can help me..

> > I am trying to build a new server for my employer to replace an aging
> > Netware server.  I bought a new Small Business Server 2000 "Upgrade"
> > package along with an additional 10 user licenses.  The reason I
> > bought the "Upgrade" package was because we (company) already owned an
> > unused installation of NT Server and all the information I found said
> > that I could use this for the upgrade.
> > All went well with the new server as I booted from CD1 of SBS2000 and
> > reformatted the HD using NTFS.  The system now boots fine.

> > When I went to install the server components it gets to the point of
> > "Upgrade CD Verification" and it is asking "Enter the location of your
> > Small Business Server 4.0 or Small Business Server 4.5 CD1.".

> > I have tried to give it the NT Server CD, but it continually rejects
> > it and asks for the SBS 4.0 or SBS 4.5 CD.

> > What can be done?

> > Do I need to destroy the NTFS partition, Install NT Server and then
> > Install SBS 2000 on top of it?

> > Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

> > Regards - Gerald

 
 
 

Upgrade NT Server to SBS 2000 - Upgrade package will not accept NT CD for upgrade!

Post by Marina Roos [SBS-MVP » Fri, 11 Jun 2004 01:04:53


Hi Gerald,

I am afraid you will have to contact your software vendor for this.

--
Regards,

Marina
Microsoft SBS-MVP



> Hello Marina,

> I did not know there was a difference nor was it spelled out plainly
> in any location that I have been able to find.
> The package I have has a certificate of authenticity with the
> following data:

> E75-00007
> PO: 4400001857       LINE: 2
> WO: 56851-0-0-0524   TEAM: MSLC
> SMALL BUSINESS SERVER 2000 ENGLISH
> MADE IN USA (PUERTO RICO)

> There is nother lable with more numbers on it and some of them are
> duplicates of the above information.

> Please help me figure out how to make this work as my job depends on
> the success of this installation.

> Thank you!

> Regards - Gerald




- Show quoted text -

> > Hi Gerald,

> > Are you sure that the upgrade was indeed for 'just' NT4 and not for SBS
> > 4.0/4.5?

> > --
> > Regards,

> > Marina
> > Microsoft SBS-MVP



> > > Hello - I hope someone can help me..

> > > I am trying to build a new server for my employer to replace an aging
> > > Netware server.  I bought a new Small Business Server 2000 "Upgrade"
> > > package along with an additional 10 user licenses.  The reason I
> > > bought the "Upgrade" package was because we (company) already owned an
> > > unused installation of NT Server and all the information I found said
> > > that I could use this for the upgrade.
> > > All went well with the new server as I booted from CD1 of SBS2000 and
> > > reformatted the HD using NTFS.  The system now boots fine.

> > > When I went to install the server components it gets to the point of
> > > "Upgrade CD Verification" and it is asking "Enter the location of your
> > > Small Business Server 4.0 or Small Business Server 4.5 CD1.".

> > > I have tried to give it the NT Server CD, but it continually rejects
> > > it and asks for the SBS 4.0 or SBS 4.5 CD.

> > > What can be done?

> > > Do I need to destroy the NTFS partition, Install NT Server and then
> > > Install SBS 2000 on top of it?

> > > Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

> > > Regards - Gerald

 
 
 

1. NT upgrade disk and SBS 4.5 upgrade

Has anybody ever installed the SBS 4.5 upgrade to an SBS 4.0 server that has
had the NT upgrade disk applied?  Does the 4.5 upgrade delete the NT upgrade
and put it back to a 25 user license?
I have a bad feeling that I'm going to be the only person that has ever
tried this and it will bomb out on me or I'll have to reinstall SBS 4.0 from
scratch or Microsoft will say they don't support this installation method or
something like that.
I've already had 5 upgrades go sideways on me and I'm not very confident
this will work.

Shawn

2. PPPro w/ 3.0 OS == P3

3. HowTo Upgrade SBS NT server for full Nt server

4. PostScript Printer Worth It?

5. Upgrade to Windows 2000 (NOT SBS 2000) Server from SBS 4.5

6. CodeWarrior for Net Yaroze

7. Can you upgrade from standard NT 4.0 Server to SBS 2000?

8. ? Generic memory in a Celebris GL 5133 ?

9. NT Server 4.0 to SBS 2000 Upgrade

10. upgrading NT 4.0 Server and Exchange 5.0 to SBS 2000

11. Upgrading NT 4 SBS to Win 2000 SBS

12. Upgrading SMS windows NT 4 server to Windows 2000 server

13. SBS 2000 upgrade CALs when upgrading to a new computer