Shadow Volume Copy Service Failure

Post by PMC » Sat, 24 Jun 2006 01:10:03

The local support staff at one of my SBS clients had an MMC crash while
monitoring Symantec AV. After a reboot, the Volume Shadow Copy Service
started failing. (This before June Windows updates, so they are out of play.)
System had been stable before this.

I don't see any errors as described in KB 826936; the service just stops,
according to the event log. I adjusted the service to try to restart after
the failures, but they too fail. There is possibly a clue in that there is an
NTFS quota violation warning a couple minutes before the failure. But that
problem (user) has been around for a while w/o the SVC problem. So, should I
apply the SVC update in the 826936 article?

I re-registered the sqldvi.dll file as recommended in one KB article re
backup failures, but the problem recurred. (Only one backup per week?! Bad
practice but all the customer wants at this point. So that's apparently not
the problem, since no backup occurs during the failures. Also, backup did
woirk w/o SVC last week.)

I also started the trace process for SVC, and have a 5M file, but I cannot
interpret it enough to see errors. If someone out there is an expert in this
trace I can answer questions about it.

Thanks in advance,
PMC

Post by Steve Foster [SBS MVP » Sun, 25 Jun 2006 21:43:30

>The local support staff at one of my SBS clients had an MMC crash while
>monitoring Symantec AV. After a reboot, the Volume Shadow Copy Service
>started failing. (This before June Windows updates, so they are out of
>play.)
>System had been stable before this.

Define "failing". The Volume Shadow services only run when needed, not
continuously.

Quote:>I don't see any errors as described in KB 826936; the service just stops,
>according to the event log. I adjusted the service to try to restart after
>the failures, but they too fail. There is possibly a clue in that there is
>an
>NTFS quota violation warning a couple minutes before the failure. But that
>problem (user) has been around for a while w/o the SVC problem. So, should
>apply the SVC update in the 826936 article?

Since the service is only run while VSS copies or VSS backups are being
made, this sounds like normal behaviour.

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
---------------------------------------

Shadow Volume Copy Service Failure

Post by PMC » Sun, 25 Jun 2006 23:31:01

Hi, Steve.

You probably are right. What started this investigation was the fact that
the daily Server Status Report indicated a critical failure since the SVC
service, which was set to start automatically, was not running.  We did
receive an enigmatic VSC message during a backup, but upon further
investigation at the TechNet site, the startup of the Volume Shadow Copy
service should be "Manual" instead of "Automatic."

It's curious that the errors in the status report began after the crash. We
did have to do some repairs; for instance the Remote Workspace was partially
disabled, and we had to restore the directory to get back functionality.
Perhaps the VSC service  setting was altered as well?  Or perhaps the local
support guy changed it at some point.

I've changed the setting back to Manual startup. Perhaps that will take care
of things. Thanks for the pointer.

Post by Steve Foster [SBS MVP » Mon, 26 Jun 2006 01:01:38

>Hi, Steve.

>You probably are right. What started this investigation was the fact that
>the daily Server Status Report indicated a critical failure since the SVC
>service, which was set to start automatically, was not running.  We did
>receive an enigmatic VSC message during a backup, but upon further
>investigation at the TechNet site, the startup of the Volume Shadow Copy
>service should be "Manual" instead of "Automatic."

The SBS Status report would alert you about the Volume Shadow services not
running if they were set to Automatic, since the service doesn't run
continuously, and that trips the alert.

It should indeed be Manual.

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
---------------------------------------

1. STS with Windows 2003 Shadow Copy Service

Has anyone peformed this yet?

Is there any good practice integrating STS on Windows 2003 using Shadow Copy
Service?

I'm planning to look into WSS beta 2 to see if there is any write-up for
deploying it using Shadow Copy Service but I really looking to also utilize
DFS with this solution.

Is anyone yet at this point, if so any pitfalls?

regards,

--
David V. Dellanno - MCSE, MCP+I, MCP
MSDEMO Consultants

2. DOS fax software

3. I must copy 2 hd containing Volumes

4. Get the directory of a DLL

5. Files copied to Samba volume are saved as root!!

6. FS: A1000 x3 and A1000 accessories

7. File Copy Failure

8. libmyodbc.so

9. Service Control Manager failure event

10. MTA Service Failure...

11. UPS Service Failure

12. service pack 1 for SBS anyone have a copy?

13. SBS Fax Service Failure