No Desktop Icons when RAS into Domain

Post by Richard Cheun » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi all

I have a client with WindowsNT4 Workstation (SP5, IE5). This PC used to be
on the physical network, but has had to relocate to a remote location.  The
PC has now been setup to access the Domain (SmallBusinessServer) via Dial Up
Networking.

It can access the Domain fine via Dial Up Networking (the user simply ticks
the box on login that says "Use DialUpNetworking"). However, on connection,
the user loses all his icons on the desktop.   He can still access the START
menu and all programs under the start menu, but there are no icons at all on
the desktop - he gets a blank desktop.  The remote access is fine, he is
able to access his email and internet via DUN and so on, but he just have no
desktop icons at all!!!  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Richard

No Desktop Icons when RAS into Domain

Post by Richard Cheun » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I forgot to add this following point:

We thought it was a profile type issue - ie didnt create profile under
NTWorkstation... however, the following does happen:

The administrator (default profile) has the standard windows green desktop
color.  When this user was on the network, he changed his desktop color to
more of a Windows 2000 blue.  Currently when he is accessing the network via
Dialupnetworking, he also gets that same blue color on his desktop, just no
icons at all - a blank screen.  So its almost like it remembers that he was
a user on this domain with this profile. Only difference is in method of
connection (direct versus via DUN at present), and yet, a complete blank
desktop!

Quote:> Hi all

> I have a client with WindowsNT4 Workstation (SP5, IE5). This PC used to be
> on the physical network, but has had to relocate to a remote location.
The
> PC has now been setup to access the Domain (SmallBusinessServer) via Dial
Up
> Networking.

> It can access the Domain fine via Dial Up Networking (the user simply
ticks
> the box on login that says "Use DialUpNetworking"). However, on
connection,
> the user loses all his icons on the desktop.   He can still access the
START
> menu and all programs under the start menu, but there are no icons at all
on
> the desktop - he gets a blank desktop.  The remote access is fine, he is
> able to access his email and internet via DUN and so on, but he just have
no
> desktop icons at all!!!  Any ideas?

> Thanks in advance.
> Richard

1. desktop icons disappear

Dear SLehinger:

If they are VPNing into the server that should allow them to be
connected as part of the domain, but if they are a user that is not
connected to the domain, then the laptop create another profile that use
used when the computer is not connected to the home domain. This is the
reason why the icons that you're speaking of, don't show or do not
appear.

If you want to have this user be able to see both off the network and on
the network, you're going to have to create a profile that is not part
of the domain and have the user setup all the icons that he wants on his
desktop. Then create rules in ISA that would allow him to view internet
resources.

Hopefully that helps,

Joe P.

2. Kerberos port to HP9000 series 800.

3. Desktop Icons Not Transparent

4. Emulator vs. Device

5. Desktop icons have a white background all of a sudden!

6. Have you always dreamed of become a high payed consultant? We can show you how! 6088

7. Default Desktop icons Company and Username

8. *** QUESTIONS ABOUT ANIMATION ***

9. Desktop Icons/Shortcuts

10. desktop icons not responding

11. Active desktop and quick launch icons

12. Icon disappear From Desktop

13. Remote tool leaves icon on users desktop