Exchange issues

Post by BO » Thu, 18 Dec 2003 05:14:18

As I read through the POP3 connector issues and smtp issues I have
tried to find an issue that would be similar to mine. But I can't seem
to get this resolved. I have other installs of SBS 2000 under my belt
and have had only a few problems but with the SBS 2003 I am at wits
end. I have installed sbs 2003 on a client's office that doesn't have
a domain or a static IP. I have followed the wizard and just can't get
the email to work correctly. I go through the wizard and I check the
web services I want, I don't have a domain here so I put in the local
domain name. I click enable Internet. I use DNS to route . I click Use
pop3 connector. I don't put in a domain name. I fill in the pop3 mail
account information. I change scheduler for every 15 minutes. an
finish the wizard.
I then send email and it sends but when the reply is sent back to the
server it can't be sent because it is looking for domian.local. Or it
isn't delivered at all because the recieving server can't find a dns
record for domain.local.. I went to the recipient policy and there is
a listing for the mindspring.com email account and it is the primary
but I am still with this problem.

What is going on with this.. Am I over looking something simple? I
know this should be something simple that even a small business can do
on there own (at least according to the MS partner info I recieve.

Thanks for you guys being here you have helped me many times hopefully
you can again...

 Bob

Exchange issues

Post by Scott Taco » Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:56:39

Hi Bob,

I dont have any experience of 2003 yet but I suspect is because you are
specifying the local domain name in the settings. I believe you must specify
a valid domain name as .local are just that, local, just like 192.x is a
local IP address. You must have some sort of email address with the ISP? can
you not use that? Even if its mycompany.tiscali.net or whatever.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Scott

Quote:> As I read through the POP3 connector issues and smtp issues I have
> tried to find an issue that would be similar to mine. But I can't seem
> to get this resolved. I have other installs of SBS 2000 under my belt
> and have had only a few problems but with the SBS 2003 I am at wits
> end. I have installed sbs 2003 on a client's office that doesn't have
> a domain or a static IP. I have followed the wizard and just can't get
> the email to work correctly. I go through the wizard and I check the
> web services I want, I don't have a domain here so I put in the local
> domain name. I click enable Internet. I use DNS to route . I click Use
> pop3 connector. I don't put in a domain name. I fill in the pop3 mail
> account information. I change scheduler for every 15 minutes. an
> finish the wizard.
> I then send email and it sends but when the reply is sent back to the
> server it can't be sent because it is looking for domian.local. Or it
> isn't delivered at all because the recieving server can't find a dns
> record for domain.local.. I went to the recipient policy and there is
> a listing for the mindspring.com email account and it is the primary
> but I am still with this problem.

> What is going on with this.. Am I over looking something simple? I
> know this should be something simple that even a small business can do
> on there own (at least according to the MS partner info I recieve.

> Thanks for you guys being here you have helped me many times hopefully
> you can again...

>  Bob

Exchange issues

Post by Henry Crave » Sun, 21 Dec 2003 11:09:57

Bob,
The point at which it's going wrong is where you're choosing to send the
SMTP mail using DNS instead of the Client ISP's SmartHost

So, Re-run the CEICW and instead of selecting
    "Use DNS to route e-Mail"
Select "Forward all e-Mail to server at your ISP"
and enter the FQDN name of the ISP's Mail server
 e.g.  mail.ISPdomain.net
-or- SMTP-Server.ISPdomain.com
( you may have to call them to get this detail )

The PoP3 connector is configured as normal,
 mapping the User accounts at the ISP to local AD Accounts.

HTH
--
Henry Craven.

========= Post It Appropriately: ============
SBS 4/4.5 : microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz
SBS 2000 : microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000
SBS 2003 : microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
=====================================

Quote:> As I read through the POP3 connector issues and smtp issues I have
> tried to find an issue that would be similar to mine. But I can't seem
> to get this resolved. I have other installs of SBS 2000 under my belt
> and have had only a few problems but with the SBS 2003 I am at wits
> end. I have installed sbs 2003 on a client's office that doesn't have
> a domain or a static IP. I have followed the wizard and just can't get
> the email to work correctly. I go through the wizard and I check the
> web services I want, I don't have a domain here so I put in the local
> domain name. I click enable Internet. I use DNS to route . I click Use
> pop3 connector. I don't put in a domain name. I fill in the pop3 mail
> account information. I change scheduler for every 15 minutes. an
> finish the wizard.
> I then send email and it sends but when the reply is sent back to the
> server it can't be sent because it is looking for domian.local. Or it
> isn't delivered at all because the recieving server can't find a dns
> record for domain.local.. I went to the recipient policy and there is
> a listing for the mindspring.com email account and it is the primary
> but I am still with this problem.

> What is going on with this.. Am I over looking something simple? I
> know this should be something simple that even a small business can do
> on there own (at least according to the MS partner info I recieve.

> Thanks for you guys being here you have helped me many times hopefully
> you can again...

>  Bob

1. Exchange issue

SBS 4.5. Exchange does not seen to be receiving mail. When I try to manually
send mail (using the send/receive mail option in the SBS console), I get
"unable to send mail". Any ideas???

TIA

John Andrick

2. Remote use of Console

3. exchange issues

4. Spooler hangs up on network printer???

5. Does Exchange issue an ETRN command when it starts?

6. #defines, that determine which platform?

7. Outlook / exchange issues

8. building exe's

9. Exchange issues in SBS2000

10. Exchange Issues on Migration Install

11. NT Backup (Exchange issue)

12. SBS 4.5--> SBS 2000 Exchange issues?

13. (DDE) Dynamic Data Exchange issues