novice server admin PLS ADVISE.

Post by C N » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 08:58:37

I have a situation in my dad's office. I could get the pro's in but would
rather save my dad the money if possible.

I have 2 servers acting as follows:
NT 4.0 Server SBS 4.5 that runs as the fax server, file server, pdc, and
exchange server. Exchange uses SMTP push or whatever it is called for email.
Some stupid computer people corrupted the installation somehow and it does
not have NT Option pack installed, nor does it have proxy server, or modem
sharing.

Then, I have a brand spanking new
Win2000 Server SBS 2000 that will host a new application using SQL Server.
It installs active directory by default, but I took that off since it would
override the NT Server.

We are switching our isp and the new one only supports pop3 receive and smtp
send, but we can use a dedicated modem connection. How can I make these 2
servers play together? and should I attempt to Switch the office over to the
new server, risking*ups and possible death. We also have Dell Platinum
support on the new server and could get them to come in and fix it to do all
the required things, but I dont think they would touch the old server.

Please help to point me in the right direction.

Colin Nederkoorn

novice server admin PLS ADVISE.

Post by SBS-MV » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 09:27:50

Forget it
You cannot have two SBS servers work together at the same time.

You should have migrated everything to the new SBS 2000 server and ditch the
SBS 4.5

Quote:> I have a situation in my dad's office. I could get the pro's in but would
> rather save my dad the money if possible.

> I have 2 servers acting as follows:
> NT 4.0 Server SBS 4.5 that runs as the fax server, file server, pdc, and
> exchange server. Exchange uses SMTP push or whatever it is called for
email.
> Some stupid computer people corrupted the installation somehow and it does
> not have NT Option pack installed, nor does it have proxy server, or modem
> sharing.

> Then, I have a brand spanking new
> Win2000 Server SBS 2000 that will host a new application using SQL Server.
> It installs active directory by default, but I took that off since it
would
> override the NT Server.

> We are switching our isp and the new one only supports pop3 receive and
smtp
> send, but we can use a dedicated modem connection. How can I make these 2
> servers play together? and should I attempt to Switch the office over to
the
> new server, risking*ups and possible death. We also have Dell
Platinum
> support on the new server and could get them to come in and fix it to do
all
> the required things, but I dont think they would touch the old server.

> Please help to point me in the right direction.

> Colin Nederkoorn

novice server admin PLS ADVISE.

Post by Jeff Middleton [SBS MVP » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 12:04:00

I would recommend that you reverse course on the SBS 2000, put the AD back
in. You can't run Exch2K without it.  Decommission the SBS 4.5, and run the
SBS 2000 as it was designed with all the components that you need on the one
box.

SBS 2000 is a superior product to sbs 4.5, and the only objection to the
upgrade is normally the cost of the purchase. You are beyond that.

If you don't have a huge investment in the SBS2K, do a scratch install,
otherwise, you can run the SBS 2K upgrade to repair it.

> Forget it
> You cannot have two SBS servers work together at the same time.

> You should have migrated everything to the new SBS 2000 server and ditch
the
> SBS 4.5

> > I have a situation in my dad's office. I could get the pro's in but
would
> > rather save my dad the money if possible.

> > I have 2 servers acting as follows:
> > NT 4.0 Server SBS 4.5 that runs as the fax server, file server, pdc, and
> > exchange server. Exchange uses SMTP push or whatever it is called for
> email.
> > Some stupid computer people corrupted the installation somehow and it
does
> > not have NT Option pack installed, nor does it have proxy server, or
modem
> > sharing.

> > Then, I have a brand spanking new
> > Win2000 Server SBS 2000 that will host a new application using SQL
Server.
> > It installs active directory by default, but I took that off since it
> would
> > override the NT Server.

> > We are switching our isp and the new one only supports pop3 receive and
> smtp
> > send, but we can use a dedicated modem connection. How can I make these
2
> > servers play together? and should I attempt to Switch the office over to
> the
> > new server, risking*ups and possible death. We also have Dell
> Platinum
> > support on the new server and could get them to come in and fix it to do
> all
> > the required things, but I dont think they would touch the old server.

> > Please help to point me in the right direction.

> > Colin Nederkoorn

1. Pls advise

Hi,

Presently, I've a NT Server 4 running as a PDC. I just
bought a new server with MS SBS 2000. I wish to install
this new server as a member server and allow my clients
to read emails using exchange 2000.
Is it possible not to touch anything on my nt server?
Do I need to upgrade my nt to win2k in order to install
sbs 2000?

Pls advise.

2. Heidelberg Linotype-Hell L560

3. admin console won't connect unless user is local admin on site server.

4. NetBIOS problem ! Win32 Server - DOS Client !!

5. Advise "MS Small Business Server 2000"

6. MAUs

7. Server Manager Error - Pls Help

8. HP680C vs Epson 500

9. HLP PLS: Renaming Lan Manager Server